Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 10:09 AM

85 posts, read 474,816 times

Advertisements

My Husband and I are torn between these two cities. They are very similiar with the only exception being weather. We'd like to know if anyone has comments on which place might be better for our family and why.

We enjoy boating, camping, entertaining, being outdoors, working out, and good food.

Thanks for any and all feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2006, 01:08 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Wow, got a couple of nice choices! I just spent a week in Summit County, CO, and love it up there.....except it is very difficult to make a living up in the mountains - prices are high and wages are not. I do not know a whole lot about Denver, but the area is wonderful for being outdoors in the summer, and even the winter if cold is okay. Cross country skiing and snow shoeing are a blast, at least off to the West. Btw, there were several inches of snow that fell on 9/16 up in Summit county. It did not 'stick' at city-level, but whitened the mountains completely.

If winter is not your thing (and I believe the wind blows HARD in Denver sometimes), then Austin would probably be a better choice. If summer is not your thing (and it does get hot and humid here), then maybe Denver. I guess you are right, it is the weather, especially if economics are not a factor.

Old 09-20-2006, 01:19 PM

85 posts, read 474,816 times
Thanks for the reply. That's what we're figuring, it's going to come down to what weather do we want to live with.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:32 PM

944 posts, read 3,954,494 times
While the weather is vastly different in the 2 cities, there are other major differences AND similarities. They're both rapidly growing and provide lots of opportunities (like long commutes in traffic that isn't moving, in addition to great cultural and employment choices). One is semi-flat with nice subtle topography but you have no access to mountains, only little hills and shallow wooded canyons. The other is table-top flat and then juts up into a paradise of dramatic mountain scenery (can you guess which is which? ) Both have nice areas to live downtown including old hip neighborhoods with funky houses and modern condos close to bustling urban activity. Both have suburban areas that are so generic they might as well be in Wichita. Both have elite enclaves in beautiful areas outside of town.

Spend time in both places. They're both good choices but they've got some major differences you might want to experience. If you like skiing then go with Denver! I know people who moved from Austin to Denver and absolutely love it there. But Austin is a great city too, in harder-to-define ways.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 13,869 times
There is more to living in Denver vs Austin than skiing, mountains and thin air. First, a 2 bedroom 1 bath, 1 car garage is going to cost $250,000. Then remember you have to get up early on those snowy winter mornings to clear the walks (or you get a ticket) and the car, and then leave extra early for work to fight the snow with the other fools to get to work on time. Now in Denver there are only about 3 direct ways to get the mountains. There are tons of folks wanting to go up there every weekend, so you have long lines of cars parked on the highway all the time. It used to be that you couldn't even see the mountains from Denver 'cause of all the smog, but it is improving. As you can see, i'm not a big denver Buff, but I'd recommend that you take some vacation time, in the winter, and go for a month and see what you think. Try it before you buy it is my motto....I grew up in Denver and now live in Austin. I prefer Austin. It is greener, more trees, more water sports, closer to the coast, and.........on secondthought go to denver, we're too crowded here!!! Richard

Old 09-20-2006, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaynrich@austin.rr.com View Post
....I grew up in Denver and now live in Austin. I prefer Austin. It is greener, more trees, more water sports, closer to the coast, and.........on secondthought go to denver, we're too crowded here!!! Richard
Great ending to that post.

I have the same personal preferences you do, Richard, but I'm trying to be "objective" because I know people who've lived here and prefer Denver. But your description of it reminds me of why I have absolutely no interest in living there. And you also remind me of a few reasons why I love Austin.

But having said that, Denver is way better, move there, everyone stay away from Austin it's the worst place on earth!!! (ya think they bought it?)

Old 09-22-2006, 08:14 PM

806 posts, read 2,884,139 times
Hehehehehehehe! The two of you sound like some folks on the Florida board! Come on now, you're Texans...Show the spirit of the Great State...Welcome our new additons even if they think they're still 'undecided' at this point...

Why would anyone with an ounce of common sense want to live some place they have to be cold, wet and miserable for months at a time? Southwest will take you to get your Ski fix anytime you want, and you won't have to shovel anything in the process!

Old 09-22-2006, 10:39 PM

92 posts, read 673,726 times
Default Denver vs. Austin

I've lived in Austin area for about 25 years and love it!
Have visited much of Colorado many times, including Denver, but only in the summer...and I loved the summers there.
I couldn't imagine living there in the winters, though.
Main weather factors would be heat and humidity, although I've seen neither deter most folks from being outdoors in the hottest summers.
I guess you either get used to it, or just deal with it.

And then there are the allergies. You might wanna research allergies in Austin area.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister View Post
Why would anyone with an ounce of common sense want to live some place they have to be cold, wet and miserable for months at a time?
Everyone in my family, including cousins, in-laws, second cousins thrice removed, etc., lives in a much cooler place than Austin (many are in Alaska!!!), and they all think I'm the one who doesn't have an ounce of common sense for putting up with Texas summers. It's all a matter of what your preferences happen to be. I don't know why I got the mutant "heat-seeking gene" in the family, but I must admit that I've grown really sick of summer here and have spent the last two traveling on the west coast and far north. Which makes me not even worthy of being called a Texan any more. It's like saying you're a fraternity member when you can't even handle the hazing rituals. A true Texan works outdoors at 3 PM in July and August and proudly says "a little sweat never done hurt nobody. Y'all come on outta that there air conditioning!"

Old 01-29-2007, 09:52 PM

942 posts, read 1,392,133 times
Hi: I am also narrowing my choice for retirment areas to both Austin and Denver, we all have our reasons for liking one place over another. I like both, but at times lean towards Denver, as much as I want a warmer climate, since I live in Oregon. What makes me lean to Denver is probably because I live in the Portland area, and we take growth and urban sprawl seriously here, hence all the mass transit for some years now, and still expanding. As much as I like Austin, I am very concerned their lack of planning could literally make leaving your driveway a serious burden, the lack of fwys and planning is pretty bad, and Im sorry, but there doesn't seem to be any plan in place to correct it, imagine what each year will bring, I hope that lack does not destroy such a wonderful place. However I am still considering it, and the weather may be the deciding factor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
View detailed profiles of: