Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 03:24 PM

244 posts, read 922,318 times

Advertisements

This thread was also posted in the Austin and Albuquerque forums, FYI. I'm a long time city-data visitor and a first time poster. This question is aimed at anybody who has lived in any of the aforementioned cities? Generally speaking, what advantages do either of these cities have over the other ones in the list? Specifically, I'm interested in which city would be most appropriate for a young (mid to late twenties), educated (both receiving PhD's in Sociology), active (both interested in live music, the arts, and outdoor activities), progressive (both interested in social/environmental justice and sustainable development) couple to move to after grad school. I've done a fair amount of research on each city and there is elements of each city that I like very much. Austin has a sizzling music scene, good barbecue, a sizeable progressive community, small to mid-town feel with the amenities of a larger city (except for a good airport, from what I can gather ), good mom and pop businesses, a good arts scene, and is pretty racially/ethnically diverse (I'm Latino, so diversity is one of my main considerations). Albuquerque is situated in what I believe is one of the most beautiful parts of the country (Rio Grande valley, Sandia Mountains ), it still retains a unique and eccentric personality (which many cities of its size seem to have lost), has lots of good mom and pop businesses, has amazing weather (from what I hear) due to the high altitude, has experienced substantial revitalization downtown, is planning, hopefully, on building a light rail line through downtown, has a strong regional economy, and is a growing city that is not too large or too small. Denver has light rail , a beautiful setting, a fairly progressive population, lots of diversity, lots of great microbreweries, a good (not as good as Austin) live music and arts scene, nice parks, weather that sounds great to me (I'm originally from Miami, but I'm weird in that I love experiencing all four seasons), progressive marijuana laws and homelessness eradication programs (not eradicating homeless people, just trying to reduce or end homelessness in the Denver metro area), and myriad outdoor activities. I am originally from Miami, so I'm used to big city life (crime, congestion, rudeness, crazy drivers, etc.). However, I'd like the slightly slower pace of life that all of these cities seem to offer. Can anyone help me out? Any suggestions, comments, or criticisms are welcomed. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 04:57 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,234,817 times
Austin is too hot.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:00 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,044,307 times
I agree.

And the traffic is terrible.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:07 PM

I had a blast in Denver!

I was drawn back to ABQ because of the culture and proximity to my family.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:35 PM

3,435 posts, read 7,002,945 times
Denver is the only other city i would move to, but i love Albuquerque toooo much!! our Culture and Food is like no other!

Old 11-19-2008, 06:55 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I've heard that Austin is like a blast furnace in the summer. I currently live in Tallahassee and the summers here are extremely unpleasant (hot, sticky, stagnant air with no breeze). Even though I'm from Florida, I've never adjusted to the humidity. I also lived in Virginia (DC area), Kentucky, and Missouri (Kansas City) so I've experienced areas with seasons and I really enjoy that. I enjoy the fact that it's so easy to get around ABQ, but I wish that the light rail project was up and running. I want to live in an area that isn't completely car dependent.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:02 PM

My wife and I were in Austin hiding away from Hurricane Ike. We really like the attitude of the people in Austin. There is a really great Hipster scene that encompasses music, food, recreation, everything!

We did notice however, that the place is being over-run by developers. Apartment complexes popping up in the most ridiculous places.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:27 PM

Yeah Rybert, I know what you mean. Even here in Tallahassee, condos and faux lofts are springing up like ragweed all over downtown. Urban renewal, gentrification, and sprawl is happening everywhere. Miami is a madhouse. Neighborhoods that were dodgy at best and terrifying at worst are now peppered with art galleries, lofts, chichi restaurants, wine bars, etc.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:40 PM

The Urban renewal and downtown improvement I'm fine with, it's the green-field construction that is the most absurd.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:51 PM

486 posts, read 1,500,308 times
I lived in Denver for a couple of years recently (SW part and then the NW part). Denver has a lot going for it but the weather is dreadful in the winters. Snow and ice on the roads frequently and it is a mess due to all the traffic. Summers are very nice, fall is fabulous and Spring is like winter continued again because Denver gets most of its snow in March & April.
Weather and traffic were my two biggest complaints about Denver.

On the plus side, Denver IS progressive and moreso than any other part of Colorado except perhaps Boulder - but Boulder often gets lumped in with Denver. Denver has great city parks and wonderful, endless recreational oppotunities within a couple miles of downtown. It is a nice city with a historic edge. Mayor Hickenlooper is great - progressive and quite a character. Denver is also the state capitol and is now a very Dem-friendly place with a Democrat govenor (Bill Ritter). Lots of chances to get involved in social/environmental activism and even some jobs in this field.
Denver also has a cool "cow-town" feel about it, as in Western! It is laid-back in that regard.

But another downside is the cost of real estate. Denver is probably the highest out of the 3 cities you cited, though far less than say, LA or San Francisco. Even the Denver "suburbs" are costly to own a home. Maybe that has changed in recent times since the housing market went bust.

Overall, I really liked Denver. What got me in the end was the crazy traffic combined with winter driving. Traffic volume is one thing, but combined with icy roads, sleet, snow, hail, freezing rain & black ice, it was too much for me. And I grew up in northern Canada!

If you want liberal/progressive then AVOID Colorado Springs by all means. Denver/Boulder area would be more for you, that is, if you chose to come to Colorado .

One more thing, Denver does have a significant hispanic population but they tend to be segregated to the east side (Aurora) and the hispanic culture is not as integrated or far-reaching as it is in Albuquerque. That's one thing I prefer about ABQ more than Denver: ABQ has just got that pulsating southwestern feeling. Denver is more just western.

Last edited by sesamekid; 11-19-2008 at 09:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City