Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2020, 07:35 AM

12,853 posts, read 9,591,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I have been saying this for years. But hey, I’m talking to a brick wall. I also can see that most people that sat Miami isn’t southern is because they dislike the rest of the South and Florida.
I don’t believe this is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2020, 01:05 PM

17,228 posts, read 15,438,332 times
A lot of people saying Miami isn't Southern perhaps just aren't that familiar with it. Lots of neighborhoods (perhaps not in the City of Miami proper, but then that's a VERY small portion of the area) are, and feel, very Southern. Most of it, for that matter, does. Of course, I don't expect a tourist to have any reason to drive out to explore Homestead or anything, so can't blame them.

This goes for any city in Florida. I saw a few mentions of Orlando in this thread, and the same applies. They're Southern cities, all things considered. Grits for breakfast, soul food and barbecue stands all over the place, lifted trucks, etc.

Old 10-03-2020, 01:34 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,947,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I don’t believe this is true.
No, it's very true. You must not know Florida very well.

Old 10-03-2020, 01:46 PM

1,235 posts, read 947,097 times
If we're going by the Census Bearu's definition of The South, then..
Wheeling, West Virginia
Wilmington, Delaware
El Paso, Texas

Old 10-03-2020, 04:03 PM

626 posts, read 465,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
A lot of people saying Miami isn't Southern perhaps just aren't that familiar with it. Lots of neighborhoods (perhaps not in the City of Miami proper, but then that's a VERY small portion of the area) are, and feel, very Southern. Most of it, for that matter, does. Of course, I don't expect a tourist to have any reason to drive out to explore Homestead or anything, so can't blame them.

This goes for any city in Florida. I saw a few mentions of Orlando in this thread, and the same applies. They're Southern cities, all things considered. Grits for breakfast, soul food and barbecue stands all over the place, lifted trucks, etc.

What exactly feels "very southern" about South Florida? Maybe in like 1% percent of the metro area it feels "very southern" but outside of that 1% it's easily the least southern feeling area in the South when all factors are taken into account. What neighborhoods are you talking about?

Old 10-03-2020, 04:12 PM

17,228 posts, read 15,438,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
What exactly feels "very southern" about South Florida? Maybe in like 1% percent of the metro area it feels "very southern" but outside of that 1% it's easily the least southern feeling area in the South when all factors are taken into account. What neighborhoods are you talking about?
Homestead, Hialeah, Hollywood, South Miami, Kendall, Opa Locka, etc. etc. etc. The list goes on.

How is this not The South? https://www.google.com/maps/@25.9074...7i16384!8i8192
The vast majority of the Miami MSA is, yes, very "Southern." It doesn't have to be rural Alabama to have a Southern feel. Atlanta does not have a rural Alabama feel either. Neither does Houston. Or New Orleans.

There's a stronger Latin vibe in Miami for sure, but it's very much still "The South."
Is Houston not The South because it also has a ridiculously high Latin demographic?

It's the South. Grits are a breakfast staple everywhere. There are soul food joints all over the place. Whites outside of city limits are into big trucks, bass fishing, hog hunting, and blacks are absolutely into Southern Black culture.

Watch "Deer Meat for Dinner" -- the guy is your stereotypical SFL white guy. Sounds like it, and acts like it. You would never mistake him for someone from Jersey or PA, or anywhere BUT the South.
Trick Daddy is a stereotypical SFL black man.
The Tamiami Trail (and much of the city) was built through convict leasing, which was basically a modern form of black slavery.
There are strong traces of the South all over the place.
Take the Brickell and Miami Beach goggles off.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 10-03-2020 at 04:36 PM..

Old 10-03-2020, 07:43 PM

771 posts, read 628,232 times
It baffles me that people place Oklahoma in the South. OKC and Tulsa should not be categorized as "southern," IMO. They're too far west in the Great Plains to be included, especially OKC which isn't too different from cities further north like Wichita or Omaha. However, I will admit that there's some southern influence in the Ozarks.

Dallas and Fort Worth are too far west in the Great Plains to be included in the South, as well. Houston is debatable.

Louisville sits on the fence between the South and Midwest, it could go either way.

D.C. and Baltimore are northern in this day and age. The Rappahannock River in Virginia might as well be an updated Mason-Dixon line. Even during the Civil War, the Rappahannock was a dividing line between Confederate Virginia and areas closer to D.C. controlled by the Union.

Old 10-03-2020, 08:22 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,036,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Homestead, Hialeah, Hollywood, South Miami, Kendall, Opa Locka, etc. etc. etc. The list goes on.

How is this not The South? https://www.google.com/maps/@25.9074...7i16384!8i8192
The vast majority of the Miami MSA is, yes, very "Southern." It doesn't have to be rural Alabama to have a Southern feel. Atlanta does not have a rural Alabama feel either. Neither does Houston. Or New Orleans.

There's a stronger Latin vibe in Miami for sure, but it's very much still "The South."
Is Houston not The South because it also has a ridiculously high Latin demographic?

It's the South. Grits are a breakfast staple everywhere. There are soul food joints all over the place. Whites outside of city limits are into big trucks, bass fishing, hog hunting, and blacks are absolutely into Southern Black culture.

Watch "Deer Meat for Dinner" -- the guy is your stereotypical SFL white guy. Sounds like it, and acts like it. You would never mistake him for someone from Jersey or PA, or anywhere BUT the South.
Trick Daddy is a stereotypical SFL black man.
The Tamiami Trail (and much of the city) was built through convict leasing, which was basically a modern form of black slavery.
There are strong traces of the South all over the place.
Take the Brickell and Miami Beach goggles off.
Hollywood feels like Fort Lauderdale I noticed. It's a neat place I have to admit. Cool Jewish community there and large, fast growing Brasilian one too..

However, I think a lot of people's definition of "Southern" is deep south. Deep South only. Like, the stereotypes of Mississippi and Georgia. Chicken and Gravy (or is it, Biscuits and Gravy?). But people fail to realize the South is more than just "the Deep South". So I think that's what a lot of people mean. There's a lot of cultures and regions in the South. You have the Piedmont (NC/VAish), the Deep South Culture, NOLA/French Culture, etc. I lived in the south and am currently typing this from my parents home in NC, and the South has a lot of cultures in it but a lot of people just assume outhern means deep south exclusively.

Old 10-03-2020, 08:41 PM

12,853 posts, read 9,591,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
No, it's very true. You must not know Florida very well.
What does my knowledge of Florida have to do with people disliking the south and the rest of Florida. I don't believe that's the case.

Old 10-03-2020, 09:04 PM

8,357 posts, read 5,517,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
What does my knowledge of Florida have to do with people disliking the south and the rest of Florida. I don't believe that's the case.
To be fair, a lot of people from Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, and other big cities don’t like most of the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City