Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2020, 10:26 AM

10,250 posts, read 15,965,034 times

Advertisements

If you define the South as anything south of the Mason-Dixon Line, the most technical definition, then its Washington DC. (including Northern Virginia) , Baltimore, Cumberland MD, Morgantown WV, Wheeling WV, and Miami.

If you only include areas south of Richmond, then Miami and Fort Lauderdale, because Miami is a foreign city and Ft Lauderdale is a Northeast colony located in Florida.

If you include Texas in the South then El Paso and Laredo would be there too, along with maybe Amarillo and Abilene. I only include East Texas as culturally Southern.

If you include only cities that are culturally Southern, then Charlotte and Raleigh are the ones where the Southern culture is most diluted by transplants. Cary, NC, located near Raleigh, is said to be the "Containment Area for Relcoated Yankees'.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2020, 10:29 AM

35 posts, read 21,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Some areas of Houston very mildly remind me of Miami. Other areas of Houston remind me of the Illinios / Indiana suburbs of eastern Chicago
Areas in Houston like Sugarland and parts of Pearland remind me somewhat of Pembroke Pines or West Miramar in Broward County.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:47 AM

1,810 posts, read 1,966,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
You think Raleigh, Baton Rouge, Norfolk and Baltimore are less southern than Austin?
Baltimore, no contest. It's basically a Northeastern city that happens to be below the Mason-Dixon line, though with some more southern undertones than in a real NE city like Philadelphia or Boston. It's not even in the Bible Belt FCOL. It has the built-up form of a rust belt city that focuses on density and not leapfrogging sprawl. Norfolk's southerness is diluted by its military industrial complex and is closer to most Northeastern states than it is to many deep south states. Raleigh is closer to Austin's level of southerness, but of course has tons of non-southern transplants as well and never had a big tobacco/textile industry like Greensboro/Winston-Salem did, and there's even an NHL team there as well. Baton Rouge is probably the closest to Austin's level, but its recently been invaded by New Orleans refugees post-Katrina, a city that has demographics that are quite different from most of the south. You'll see that larger cities land lower on the list since they tend to be more connected with the happenings of the rest of the country then a lot of the smaller cities do.

That said Austin still has a considerable amount of country music fans, which is obviously southern in origin. It doesn't have any major pro sports, and it is literally is located in the "south" of the U.S., so that has to count for something. It's just far enough east to have most of the flora of the southeast growable, unlike west TX. And ACL is unsuitably a music show associated with the south. It's just liberal for the south like New Orleans and Atlanta.

Old 09-28-2020, 11:14 AM

12,883 posts, read 9,623,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Baltimore, no contest. It's basically a Northeastern city that happens to be below the Mason-Dixon line, though with some more southern undertones than in a real NE city like Philadelphia or Boston. It's not even in the Bible Belt FCOL. It has the built-up form of a rust belt city that focuses on density and not leapfrogging sprawl. Norfolk's southerness is diluted by its military industrial complex and is closer to most Northeastern states than it is to many deep south states. Raleigh is closer to Austin's level of southerness, but of course has tons of non-southern transplants as well and never had a big tobacco/textile industry like Greensboro/Winston-Salem did, and there's even an NHL team there as well. Baton Rouge is probably the closest to Austin's level, but its recently been invaded by New Orleans refugees post-Katrina, a city that has demographics that are quite different from most of the south. You'll see that larger cities land lower on the list since they tend to be more connected with the happenings of the rest of the country then a lot of the smaller cities do.

That said Austin still has a considerable amount of country music fans, which is obviously southern in origin. It doesn't have any major pro sports, and it is literally is located in the "south" of the U.S., so that has to count for something. It's just far enough east to have most of the flora of the southeast growable, unlike west TX. And ACL is unsuitably a music show associated with the south. It's just liberal for the south like New Orleans and Atlanta.
Actually didn't mean to include Baltimore.

Old 09-28-2020, 11:21 AM

2,231 posts, read 1,414,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post

Austin doesn't really have a particularly big country music presence. Of course Willie Nelson is an Austin icon, and then there is Asleep at the Wheel, but that's really about it. Austin's music scene is varied but I'd say the most defining genres are blues (thanks to SRV and Antone's) and indie rock (thanks to SXSW). I feel like DFW and Houston have bigger country scenes. (I'd also point out the country music is also Western.)

I've never really thought about ACL as "southern", personally, but maybe others do see it that way?

Re: floral and fuana, Austin is pretty central between the southeast and southwest, and in fact you can arguably draw the line separating the two at the Balcones Fault which runs through Austin. In rainy years Austin looks more like the southeast with lush vegetation, while in dry years it looks more like the southwest. We've been quite rainy ever since 2015 or so.

Austin is definitely less southern than Baton Rouge. I'm curious how that is even debatable. Baltimore has a lot of northeast and rust belt elements and I can definitely see it being the least southern on this list, outside of maybe El Paso. (El Paso is 100% southwestern and not at all southern).

Old 09-28-2020, 11:27 AM

12,883 posts, read 9,623,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Austin doesn't really have a particularly big country music presence. Of course Willie Nelson is an Austin icon, and then there is Asleep at the Wheel, but that's really about it. Austin's music scene is varied but I'd say the most defining genres are blues (thanks to SRV and Antone's) and indie rock (thanks to SXSW). I feel like DFW and Houston have bigger country scenes. (I'd also point out the country music is also Western.)

I've never really thought about ACL as "southern", personally, but maybe others do see it that way?

Re: floral and fuana, Austin is pretty central between the southeast and southwest, and in fact you can arguably draw the line separating the two at the Balcones Fault which runs through Austin. In rainy years Austin looks more like the southeast with lush vegetation, while in dry years it looks more like the southwest. We've been quite rainy ever since 2015 or so.

Austin is definitely less southern than Baton Rouge. I'm curious how that is even debatable. Baltimore has a lot of northeast and rust belt elements and I can definitely see it being the least southern on this list, outside of maybe El Paso. (El Paso is 100% southwestern and not at all southern).
Other than being in the southern US, there's nothing southern about ACL or SXSW

Old 09-28-2020, 11:28 AM

4,161 posts, read 2,868,237 times
Austin is a football hotbed that speaks with a twang. There are many attributes to being “Southern”, but that’s a strong double whammy marking Austin at least being in the conversation.

Old 09-28-2020, 11:32 AM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 8 days ago)

8,393 posts, read 5,549,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post

I dont think Houston has a big country scene at all. Not Dallas either really, though Fort Worth definitely does. Houston gave us Lyle Lovett and Dallas gave us the Dixie Chicks. Willie Nelson I think was from the Waco area originally though I dont think hes lived near there in quite some time.

Honestly I dont associate Austin, Dallas, or Houston with country.

Old 09-28-2020, 11:58 AM

2,231 posts, read 1,414,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I dont think Houston has a big country scene at all. Not Dallas either really, though Fort Worth definitely does. Houston gave us Lyle Lovett and Dallas gave us the Dixie Chicks. Willie Nelson I think was from the Waco area originally though I dont think hes lived near there in quite some time.

Honestly I dont associate Austin, Dallas, or Houston with country.
I think of the Houston Rodeo as being a bigger country music event than anything in Austin, but I agree, I don't associate any of the major cities with country.

"Texas country" is a thing and it has fans across the state, but even there it is an indie scene, not anything mainstream. It's also openly hostile towards and fairly distinct from "Nashville" country, so I'm not sure how much of a proof of southerness that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Austin is a football hotbed that speaks with a twang. There are many attributes to being “Southern”, but that’s a strong double whammy marking Austin at least being in the conversation.
Football, yes, but I don't think native Austinites speak with a twang at all. We do say ya'll, but that's about it. College football is also huge in Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, etc... The most similar school to UT from a football fan culture perspective is probably Michigan.

Old 09-28-2020, 12:00 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 8 days ago)

8,393 posts, read 5,549,300 times
Maybe an easy way to determine what genres are most popular would be to look at the most popular radio stations in each:

Top 5 FM radio stations in each market as follows:

Dallas/Fort Worth:
KHKS - Top 40
KLTY - Adult Contemporary
KPLX - Country
KZPS - Classic Rock
KLUV - Classic Hits (Album Music)

Houston:
KODA - Adult Hits
KGLK - Classic Rock
KLTN - Regional Mexican
KTBZ - Active Rock/Alternative
KMJQ - Urban Adult Contemporary

Austin:
KBPA - Adult Hits
KUT - Liberal News/Talk
KKMJ - Adult Hits
KVET - Country
KLZT - Regional Mexican

Atlanta:
WSRV - Adult Hits
WALR - Urban Adult Contemporary
WVEE - Urban
WAMJ - Urban Adult Contemporary
WSB - Adult Hits

San Antonio:
KROM - Regional Mexican
KONO - Adult Hits
KCYY - Country
KTXK - Classic Rock
KAJA - Country

Charlotte:
WRFX- Classic Rock
WSOC - Country
WKKT - Country
WBAV - Urban Adult Contemporary
WLKO - Adult Hits

Miami:
WFEZ - Adult Hits
WHQT - Urban Adult Contemporary
WCMQ - Latin Hits
WAMR - Spanish Tropical
WLYF - Adult Hits

Orlando:
WOCL - Classic Hits (Album Music)
WMGF - Adult Hits
WCFB - Urban Adult Contemporary
WMMO - Classic Hits
WRUM - Spanish Tropical

Raleigh:
WFXC - Urban Adult Contemporary
WUNC - Liberal News/Talk
WTKK - Conservative News/Talk
WQDR - Country
WNNL - Christian

Nashville:
WJXA - Adult Hits
WCJK - Adult Hits
WNRQ - Classic Rock
WSIX - Country
WUBT - Urban

Jacksonville:
WEJZ - Adult Contemporary
WOKV - Conservative News/Talk
WJGL - Classic Hits (Album Music)
WSOL - Urban Adult Contemporary
WGNE - Country

New Orleans:
WQUE - Urban
WYLD - Urban Adult Contemporary
WNOE - Country
WEZB - Top 40
WRNO - Conservative News/Talk

Based on that sampling, any trends?

I did notice Houston is the only top 30 market in the US with an Active Rock format in the top 5 stations. Interesting...

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 09-28-2020 at 12:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City