Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2020, 08:19 AM

16,518 posts, read 26,451,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by naners1 View Post
You seem to generalize the topic. Today, it is undeniable that Houston culture has been influenced by other cultures. The Hispanic population the majority, the Asian population is about 8% and the white population is a little more than 30%. 40 years ago whites made up close to 75% of the population and Latinos were about 8%and the Asian population made up less than 1%. That alone will tell most common sense people that the place is not the same no matter how you slice the pie.

As far as other regions of the country who knows? Have New Orleans, Philadelphia, Saint louis, Portland, Salt lake city, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Nashville, change as much as Houston??
I don't see what that has to do with Houston being southern. There aren't latin communities in the south?
I can acknowledge that Houston has changed in the last century, but it's still a southern city in the south. Seattle isn't less northwestern because its has a overwhelming amount of Asians compared to every other part of the PNW.
It seems that on City-Data only southern cities lose culture or "change" because of immigrants and transplants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2020, 08:27 PM

9,736 posts, read 9,520,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naners1 View Post
You seem to generalize the topic. Today, it is undeniable that Houston culture has been influenced by other cultures. The Hispanic population the majority, the Asian population is about 8% and the white population is a little more than 30%. 40 years ago whites made up close to 75% of the population and Latinos were about 8%and the Asian population made up less than 1%. That alone will tell most common sense people that the place is not the same no matter how you slice the pie.

As far as other regions of the country who knows? Have New Orleans, Philadelphia, Saint louis, Portland, Salt lake city, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Nashville, change as much as Houston??
Not the same and not southern are two different things. It sounds like you are ashamed for Houston to still be southern. The South is not some monolith where everyone sits in a rocking chair and speaks like Andy Griffith.

Old 10-21-2020, 06:25 AM

1 posts, read 285 times
Without a doubt, Miami is NOT a southern city. It's an international city....but more so Miami is a Latin city. I've been several times and Spanish is as prevalent primary language as is English. This is a wonderful aspect of Miami, but then again I've only visited. Nothing about Miami is "Southern" other than the 3 "H's"; heat, humidity, hurricanes.

I cannot comment on Houston, never been.

Good Luck!

Old 10-21-2020, 07:05 AM

20,536 posts, read 33,679,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassolotto View Post
Without a doubt, Miami is NOT a southern city. It's an international city....but more so Miami is a Latin city. I've been several times and Spanish is as prevalent primary language as is English. This is a wonderful aspect of Miami, but then again I've only visited. Nothing about Miami is "Southern" other than the 3 "H's"; heat, humidity, hurricanes.

I cannot comment on Houston, never been.

Good Luck!
Because it’s international, that means it isn’t Southern? Houston, Atlanta, and Dallas are also international cities. Chicago is international so does that mean it’s no longer Midwestern?

Old 10-21-2020, 10:24 AM

626 posts, read 469,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Because it’s international, that means it isn’t Southern? Houston, Atlanta, and Dallas are also international cities. Chicago is international so does that mean it’s no longer Midwestern?

Come on now you know those cities are nowhere near as international as Miami.

Old 10-21-2020, 10:33 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,861,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I don't see what that has to do with Houston being southern. There aren't latin communities in the south?
I can acknowledge that Houston has changed in the last century, but it's still a southern city in the south. Seattle isn't less northwestern because its has a overwhelming amount of Asians compared to every other part of the PNW.
It seems that on City-Data only southern cities lose culture or "change" because of immigrants and transplants.
I agree!

The immigrants who come here assimilate into the southern culture. I’ve heard Nigerians, Mexicans, and Asians with think southern accents. They all boil crawfish too.

Old 10-21-2020, 10:51 AM

17,592 posts, read 15,742,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
I’d argue that Houston most certainly is at or near the same level.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:42 AM

626 posts, read 469,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I’d argue that Houston most certainly is at or near the same level.

Miami-Dade County alone gets 6 times more international overnight visitors than the entire Houston metro. (2.7 million people in MDC vs over 7 million in the Houston metro) Even Broward County by itself gets more than the entire Houston metro.

https://travel.trade.gov/outreachpag...ed%202019.xlsx

The percentage of foreign born residents in the Miami metro is almost double the Houston metro. (population 6.2 million vs 7.1 million)

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/prog...ropolitan-area

Miami city proper has the highest foreign born percentage out of any major city in the entire world. Hialeah (right outside Miami - population is 233,000) has almost 20% more foreign born per capita than Miami and is also probably the highest percent for its size in the entire world. I'm not even going to bring up Miami Beach. Most of the other cities around the Miami metro also have great foreign born percentages, with dense enclaves everywhere.

Not to mention all the people from other countries or places like NYC and Toronto (two of the most international cities in the world) that have second homes in South Florida and don't even add to any official population count or foreign born numbers because they stay for less than 6 months at a time. I can go on and on forever..

https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/uni...lation-percent

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_born

Last edited by popka; 10-21-2020 at 12:47 PM..

Old 10-21-2020, 12:38 PM

17,592 posts, read 15,742,231 times
Quote:
Miami-Dade County alone gets 6 times more international overnight visitors than the entire Houston metro. (2.7 million people in MDC vs over 7 million in the Houston metro) Even Broward County by itself gets more than the entire Houston metro.

https://travel.trade.gov/outreachpag...ed%202019.xlsx

The percentage of foreign born residents in the Miami metro is almost double the Houston metro.

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/prog...ropolitan-area

Miami city proper has the highest foreign born percentage out of any major city in the entire world. And Hialeah (right outside Miami) has almost 20% more foreign born per capita than Miami and is probably the highest percent for its size in the entire world also. I'm not even going to bring up Miami Beach. Most of the other cities around the Miami metro also have great foreign born percentages, with dense enclaves everywhere.

Not to mention all the people from other countries or places like NYC and Toronto (two of the most international cities in the world) that have second homes in South Florida and don't even add to any official population count or foreign born numbers because they stay for less than 6 months at a time. I can go on and on forever..

https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/uni...lation-percent

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_born
Houston is the most ethnically-diverse city in the US. By quite a large margin, too. I'd argue that this has more of an impact than "visitors," particularly since these visitors are not spread out throughout the city, but rather contained to small pockets of Brickell/Downtown and South Beach.
Miami is not particularly ethnically-diverse, despite its foreign-born population ratio. The vast majority of its immigrants are from Latin America.

If Miami is "more international" than Houston, it's not by much.

*Both cities are considered "International Cities."

Last edited by Arcenal813; 10-21-2020 at 12:49 PM..

Old 10-21-2020, 01:07 PM

20,536 posts, read 33,679,892 times
Quote:
Who said this? I said these cities are international just like Miami. Just because a city may not be as international does not mean they aren’t. Also, Houston can go toe to toe with Miami. Miami does better with Europe and the America’s . However Houston performs better with Asia and Africa and the Latin presence not named Mexico is increasing as well.

But my main point is just because a city is international, does not mean it isn’t Southern. You can bring up other factors, but being international isn’t one of them especially for large cities like Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, and yes, Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City