Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Southern City Downtowns Have the Best Amenities?
Houston, TX 34 32.08%
Dallas, TX 24 22.64%
Ft. Worth, TX 10 9.43%
New Orleans, LA 18 16.98%
Birmingham, AL 2 1.89%
Mobile, AL 1 0.94%
Jackson, MS 2 1.89%
Atlanta, GA 35 33.02%
Savannah, GA 12 11.32%
Jacksonville, FL 2 1.89%
Miami, FL 20 18.87%
Orlando, FL 7 6.60%
Charleston, SC 10 9.43%
Greenville, SC 6 5.66%
Columbia, SC 4 3.77%
Wilmington, NC 3 2.83%
Charlotte, NC 19 17.92%
Raleigh, NC 9 8.49%
Winston-Salem, NC 3 2.83%
Greensboro, NC 3 2.83%
Richmond, VA 3 2.83%
Charlottesville, VA 1 0.94%
Athens, GA 8 7.55%
Memphis, TN 9 8.49%
Nashville, TN 9 8.49%
Chattanooga, TN 9 8.49%
Knoxville, TN 5 4.72%
Louisville, KY 5 4.72%
Little Rock, AR 2 1.89%
OTHERS NOT LISTED 7 6.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 09:00 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,687,601 times

Advertisements

Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 09:20 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,250,950 times
You know, "variety of skyscrapers" isn't exactly an amenity for a city.

On a related note, I wish people on here would stop making a big fuss about skyscrapers and skylines. I'll be the first to tell you a nice-looking skyline is cool. However, I'll also be the first to tell you that a city's skyline tells you very little about a city - it merely indicates the tallest buildings where people work (and in occasional cases, live). It tells you nothing about how easy it is to get around by foot, transit, or car in the city, what street-level amenities are located in the city (whether they be restaurants, parks, or something else), or how in general people live, work, and play in the city.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:02 PM

880 posts, read 2,865,305 times
Atlanta's downtown really does not leave much to write home about. Midtown yeah, and some of the surrounding neighborhoods, but the downtown itself still has a ways to go.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:09 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,831,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
Atlanta's downtown really does not leave much to write home about. Midtown yeah, and some of the surrounding neighborhoods, but the downtown itself still has a ways to go.

I like Downtown Atlanta and, IMO, it offers much of the same amenities that one would find in Midtown and it is more dense with more historic buildings. What amenities do you think Downtown is missing?

Old 03-09-2009, 05:54 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,876,711 times
I think Austin has the best Downtown.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:55 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,263,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I like Downtown Atlanta and, IMO, it offers much of the same amenities that one would find in Midtown and it is more dense with more historic buildings. What amenities do you think Downtown is missing?
People, major shopping, nightlife, apts./condos. Not even ONE dept. store.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post

People? Downtown has...30,000 residents; plus 28,000 GSU students; plus 200,000 workers (some day, some night); plus hotel guests in 11,000 hotel rooms; plus visitors to major tourist and entertainment attractions. If anyone isn't going Downtown, it must be you.

Downtown will never again have department stores like it once did, at least not for a long time. Most downtowns don't have them - obviously there are a few that do, but most don't. Would you go shop in Downtown Atlanta if there were major shopping? Or would you continue to go to Lenox or whatever major shopping is more convenient to you. We'll have to be satisfied with the shopping that is willing to locate and can be profitable Downtown...Underground, Peachtree Center, tourist-oriented shops, corner convenience stores, and locally owned shops scattered throughout Downtown.

The nightlife Downtown is pretty good...much better than it was 10 years ago. The Underground nightclubs draw decent crowds and have gotten more popular, and Castleberry Hill is often speculated to be the next Buckhead. Again, do you support these places by choosing them over clubs that are more convenient to you?

The brand new 40-story Twelve Centennial Park Tower condo building JUST opened within the last couple of months...the 24-story Museum Tower opened 6 years ago...then there's the 16-story Healy, the 14-story Metropolitan, 10-story Muse's, the 16-story William-Oliver, the 24-story Peachtree Tower Apartments, the 22-story Landmark Tower, 16-story Bethel Towers...lofts GALORE in Fairlie-Poplar and Castleberry Hill...Georgia State Commons...I'm thinking there are many apartment and condo buildings, and I certainly didn't name them all. There were several more planned before the housing crisis, but of course no one is building anything at the moment.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:23 PM

880 posts, read 2,865,305 times
I just don't see the street activity in downtown Atlanta that I have seen in other cities. I have been downtown many times (including the past few months) and the area seems inundated with parking lots and parking decks. The aquarium is nice, but seems isolated from the rest of the downtown. Most of the days I've been there (including weekday afternoons) I did not see very many people walking around and was not very impressed with Underground (too many panhandlers). Granted, places like Castleberry and the GA Tech (not downtown!) areas are nice, but the Five Points area just did not impress me as much as I would have liked. Once the sun starts to set, people seem to clear out as well (which I hope changes in the future).

Old 03-09-2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
I just don't see the street activity in downtown Atlanta that I have seen in other cities. I have been downtown many times (including the past few months) and the area seems inundated with parking lots and parking decks. The aquarium is nice, but seems isolated from the rest of the downtown. Most of the days I've been there (including weekday afternoons) I did not see very many people walking around and was not very impressed with Underground (too many panhandlers). Granted, places like Castleberry and the GA Tech (not downtown!) areas are nice, but the Five Points area just did not impress me as much as I would have liked. Once the sun starts to set, people seem to clear out as well (which I hope changes in the future).
Sorry...that is just not reality. I can't think of even ONE parking lot Downtown - where are all of these lots you're talking about? Or are you talking about parking DECKS? I thought of one...a very small lot next to the Tabernacle. There aren't even any around Georgia State anymore...they are all decks now.

You didn't see many people...I don't know what downtown you went to, but there are too many people living and working and visiting Atlanta for Downtown to have empty sidewalks. Everyone knows how negative you are about Atlanta, so I'm not going to try and convince you of anything. Obviously most of your criticisms of Atlanta are untrue and either blatantly contrived or based on the stereotypical comments made by others on this forum - someone who lives here and knows the truth can see that immediately.

How is Centennial Park/the Aquarium/WOC/CNN/the Dome/Philips Arena isolated from Downtown? It's a huge part of Downtown Atlanta that also includes the Tabernacle/the Chamber of Commerce/the Omni Hotel/Museum Tower/etc. Are there not sidewalks that connect the area to the rest of Downtown? Are the streets dead ends? Is there a buffer zone of some sort between Centennial Hill and the rest? I can't see one possible way that the area is "isolated". It isn't.

There are no panhandlers in Underground. They may hang out on the streets in the area but you didn't encounter them inside of Underground.

Castleberry Hill IS a part of Downtown. Georgia Tech isn't, it's West Midtown. So you'll know, since you don't have a lot of true information about Downtown Atlanta, these are the districts that make up Downtown: Five Points, Georgia State University, South Central, Centennial Hill, Fairlie-Poplar, the Railroad District, the Hotel District, Castleberry Hill, and South of North. All of the residential towers and buildings that I listed, plus many others I didn't list, are located there. People live in them. It's so tired when someone keeps saying that nobody lives Downtown...again, another untruth.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:24 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,097,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post

You dont know what your talking about there is night life in Downtown i go there on the weekends LUckies is one spot thats downtown that i go to there is shopping downtown I go there to get sneakers. There used to be a macys downtown but Now there turning it into a indoor shopping center. there are several condos downtown the twelve is one of them. But if you are talking about something on the lines of MIchagan ave then NO we dont have that Midtown Atlanta is getting that. But there is everything that you said was lacking its there downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City