Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 09:32 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,076,512 times

Advertisements

[quote=censusdata;7600700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post

Lexington is an old Indian word meaning "Land of exiled Ohioans."

I think this place is almost becoming a suburb of Cincinnati. Even though it should technically be considered SEC Country I see a lot more Big 10 school's bumper stickers, shirts, etc. Even though people in Cincinnati always make fun of Kentucky you see Bengals stuff everywhere at the stores. I have a strong rural Kentucky accent and I've gotten a lot of unflattering comments about it in Lexington.
Can't we just put a wall around the Ohio river? LOL Just kidding!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 09:34 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,466,576 times
To answer the original question... since Louisiana & Mississippi have the lowest rates of people moving in I think they will be the slowest to become Americanized.

I think Texas has always had a very strong Hispanic presence which gives it more of a South Western feel to it like New Mexico or Arizona. The typical Southern state is 70% White (of British Isles descent) and 30% Black.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:14 PM

657 posts, read 1,504,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers115 View Post
I lived down there, i seen it. Im not talking about were your at...i lived in the deep south in SC. I was stuck in that hellhole for a year.

It's ok for Richmond to blast the north in every post he writes? But noone can talk about your beloved south.

Everything i said in my post was fact, if you dont like it oh well. Dont sit there and act like im wrong because i tell the truth.
Actually in all fairness, he has a point. There seems to be quiet acquiescence by the forum members when people bash the North, but when people criticize the South another Civil War breaks loose.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:20 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,387 times
I agree with the general feeling that Mississippi will probably be last to lose its Southern flavor. Even though it had experienced quite a bit of growth, it is focused to the Memphis suburbs and places such as Oxford. The Carolinas and Georgia are certainly next on the hitlist for Northernization, while Alabama, Tennessee, and maybe even Texas are set up for significant demographic changes in the coming years.

However, I find that most Northerners assimilate into the Southern culture rather quickly, the only exception to that general trend is when an area receives a massive influx of migrants. North Carolina and NoVa fall into that category..

A lot of the migration from North/Midwest/Northwest/California was concentrated from 2000-2007. After the housing market fell through, the migration slowed with it. Now we can get to work on coverting the most recent influx and prepare for the next wave..!

Old 02-23-2009, 10:31 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,029,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
People in SC still have VERY strong southern accents

Everyone here sounds like Larry the Cable guy and Dolly Parton
Then you're tone-deaf. Tennessee does NOT sound like South Carolina in any fashion, and Larry the Cable guy is from Pennsylvania.

Quote:
First off who the hell would want the "southernaility"? I mean really...when you say this what do you mean? Being stuck in the civil war era? Picking up chicks at family reunions? Watching nascar all day and living in trailer parks? Being among the most poor, uneducated states in the U.S? Having the whole conservative republican mindset (oh yea let me tell you that worked so good in the past 8 years....NOT). I read all the post about the south from RIchmond and its starting to get old.
Do you realize what an idiotic,close-minded, stereotypical post that is? Yes, I regularly date my cousin...and you call us the uneducated ones. Yes, so uneducated that they decided to put a bunch of them thar whatchu-call colleges all over the South.

Quote:
Sorry to break it to you but look at statistics for education, poverty, crime.... then look were your beloved southern states rank. More of a northern influence is a good thing for you. VA is not that bad...because you have a northern influence.... look at states like SC, GA, AL, and MISS.... they def. NEED some northern influence. You can yankee this and yankee that and badmouth the north as much as you want...but at the end of the day the north is better than the south will ever be or ever has been. Sorry to break it to you.
Yes, the North is soo much better than here...you know, bad air and dirty streets, and swamped with traffic. Thats why the close-minded, loud-mouthed, ignorant Northerners come down here in droves.
We dont NEED your "northern influence" one single bit...and actually, I'd personally prefer that most of them choke on it.

BTW...read this word a-r-s-e-h-a-t and then think how it applies. Be very careful now, dont do it too hard. Might break something.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:32 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
I lived down there, i seen it. Im not talking about were your at...i lived in the deep south in SC. I was stuck in that hellhole for a year.

It's ok for Richmond to blast the north in every post he writes? But noone can talk about your beloved south.

Everything i said in my post was fact, if you dont like it oh well. Dont sit there and act like im wrong because i tell the truth.
Judging by your grammar, you're the Northern exception to your so-called rule.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:43 PM

142 posts, read 406,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Judging by your grammar, you're the Northern exception to your so-called rule.

Im sorry, i was not aware that i had to use perfect grammer on a quick online post. I have a highschool diploma... something that 52 percent of S. Carolina doesent have.

Yea a 52% dropout rate in a state shows the lack of education. I think you have a few more things to fix than "perfect grammer" such as your whole education system, your political views, your right to work bs law's, your high poverty rate, your 52 percent dropout rate, the high rates of 13 year old girls getting pregnent, the way you talk "yall" and "bo" are not word's.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:49 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,819 times
When you lived in SC did you ever notice the way people drive? ITS AWFUL

I was in Chicago a couple a couple of years back and it was in the middle of a blizzard.... I did not see one wreck in a week during a blizzard!!!

But, in SC you are guaranteed a car wreck in 80 degree weather. I guess that goes back to the bad school systems!

FACT - Columbia SC worst drivers in America

WIS News 10 - Columbia, South Carolina | "Men's Health" says Columbia has the country's worst drivers

Last edited by mrstewart; 02-23-2009 at 11:07 PM..

Old 02-23-2009, 10:53 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,029,405 times
Not all of them...just ignorant ones that run their yap about things that are completely stereotypical. And Im surprised you caught on to the insult so quickly. Thats a good Yankee. Want a cookie?

Who gives a hoot about an overpriced Ivy League school? If your spelling and grammar is representative of a Northern education, I'll pass. For the record, its a-n-c-e-s-t-o-r-s.
Yes, you dont have traffic problems at all, nor do you have crime.Thats why you decided to come down here and get "stuck" for a year, hmm? I guess where you're from is a freakin Utopia isnt it?

Yeah, our schools are sooo rotten, yet they make articles in the news.
Master's Universities (South) Rankings - Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report

Oh, and the city isnt dirty huh? Almost all of these are Northern cities.Get over it.

Air Scare: Ten Dirtiest Cities in America

Last edited by mrstewart; 02-23-2009 at 11:07 PM..

Old 02-23-2009, 11:00 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Not all of them...just ignorant ones that run their yap about things that are completely stereotypical. And Im surprised you caught on to the insult so quickly. Thats a good Yankee. Want a cookie?

Who gives a hoot about an overpriced Ivy League school? If your spelling and grammar is representative of a Northern education, I'll pass. For the record, its a-n-c-e-s-t-o-r-s.
Yes, you dont have traffic problems at all, nor do you have crime.Thats why you decided to come down here and get "stuck" for a year, hmm? I guess where you're from is a freakin Utopia isnt it?

Yeah, our schools are sooo rotten, yet they make articles in the news.
Master's Universities (South) Rankings - Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report

Oh, and the city isnt dirty huh? Almost all of these are Northern cities.Get over it.

Air Scare: Ten Dirtiest Cities in America
Referring to your degrees link:

We are not talking about colleges. SC has good colleges. Univ of SC, Clemson and College of Chas are good schools. We are talking about everything high school and below

Referring to your dirties cities link:

We are not talking about air pollution, we are referring to crime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City