Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 12:14 AM

6 posts, read 10,507 times

Advertisements

A lot of people on these boards seem to be students of urban culture / fascinated with urban decay or gentrification. How would you compare what it means to be poor in NY with Chi? Some may say that things are the same all over, but I think others might disagree.

For people that have lived or visited neighborhoods in both places, what do you think?

For example, I think even with its problems, the MTA is much more efficient than the el. One of Chicago's most difficult aspects is probably the endless, soul-crushing winters, while in New York it's the cramped, competitive feeling.
Also, cheap bad food in Chicago is stuff like hot dogs and rib tips, whereas in NYC it's obviously pizza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 03:14 AM

16 posts, read 42,210 times
NYC's bad areas couldn't possibly rank up there with Chicago's, I think.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:10 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times
In NYC because our transportation system is good, people are free to explore the city and find bargains. In NYC you can find places to buy a "no frills" down coat for $10, or pants and shirts for under $10, along with other items of clothing. I am not sure how that is in Chicago, but in Buffalo NY these types of bargains are harder to find, it is much easier to tell if a person is poor by appearance there, than it is in NYC.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:51 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
In NYC because our transportation system is good, people are free to explore the city and find bargains. In NYC you can find places to buy a "no frills" down coat for $10, or pants and shirts for under $10, along with other items of clothing. I am not sure how that is in Chicago, but in Buffalo NY these types of bargains are harder to find, it is much easier to tell if a person is poor by appearance there, than it is in NYC.
In cities like NYC and CHI, you have good public transit always available so homeless people have the chance to explore the city and move around much quicker, while in cities like Houston we lack good public transportation. The homeless here usually move by their feet and have to endure long summers of intolerable weather.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:19 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,192,439 times
Impoverished people in NYC and Chicago are far better off than those of the third world.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:42 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Impoverished people in NYC and Chicago are far better off than those of the third world.

True...I teach in the south Bronx--a lot of the teachers in the school wonder why people would move from other countries to the S.Bronx. I thought about this too at one point. What we fail to realize is that other parts of the world are a lot worse than bad parts of the major cities here. I have kids from Africa and the Dominican Republic. My mentor went to DR and said it was much more run down than the S.Bronx.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:19 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungJournalist View Post
A lot of people on these boards seem to be students of urban culture / fascinated with urban decay or gentrification. How would you compare what it means to be poor in NY with Chi? Some may say that things are the same all over, but I think others might disagree.

For people that have lived or visited neighborhoods in both places, what do you think?

For example, I think even with its problems, the MTA is much more efficient than the el. One of Chicago's most difficult aspects is probably the endless, soul-crushing winters, while in New York it's the cramped, competitive feeling.
Also, cheap bad food in Chicago is stuff like hot dogs and rib tips, whereas in NYC it's obviously pizza.

What does the L really have to do with poverty? I take the L every day, it gives around 650,000 rides/day on weekdays. A vast majority are people going downtown to work and back, not homeless people. I probably see homeless people on the L about once out of every 5 rides. More ride at night, but it really has no effect on homeless or poor people. I really don't get why people still see public transportation as something for homeless people, and not moving normal stable people around large cities.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:25 PM

6 posts, read 10,507 times
It's because people in poverty are forced to take public transportation; they don't have the option of taking taxis in emergencies or when they are late. It's has ramifications all over the place: job interviews missed because the train is late; can't pick kids up on time if the bus decides not to stop; have to wait in the cold at night.

Case in point: I almost always take public transportation, but once after a Yankees game I was trying to get home and no buses were coming down Fordham road. I waited with several people for over an hour until everyone started walking. Miraculously, a cab came down the road -- this does NOT happen in the Bronx at midnight. I had money to take it; everyone else had to walk miles to get home, meanwhile leaving children unattended at home to get into trouble; making themselves exhausted for work the next day and increasing the chances that they don't function as well as lose their jobs, etc. If your public transportation sucks you have these problems every day.

Efficiency Public transportation is a HUGE concern for people without money. If you have money, you just use the 'L' because it's convenient. If you don't, you are its slave. It's ignorant to say that it's the same for all people.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:58 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
I see a lot of posts in the Chicago forum where people don't have cars and don't want cars because other transportation is available. Maybe these would be a better questions: What is the dollar amount of the poverty level for one person in NYC? What is the cost of a studio or a 1 bedroom apartment in a safe but not so nuce neighborhood? What does a one-year bus pass cost?

Chicagoans like their hot dogs as much as they like their pizza, beer and sports. .

Old 10-14-2009, 07:17 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
I don't think being hungry and homeless feels any different in NYC or Chicago or LA than it does it little town USA excepting weather, available transportation and a food source. Small towns don't have soup kitchens or flop houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City