Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 02:48 PM

141 posts, read 481,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungJournalist View Post
A lot of people on these boards seem to be students of urban culture / fascinated with urban decay or gentrification. How would you compare what it means to be poor in NY with Chi? Some may say that things are the same all over, but I think others might disagree.

For people that have lived or visited neighborhoods in both places, what do you think?

For example, I think even with its problems, the MTA is much more efficient than the el. One of Chicago's most difficult aspects is probably the endless, soul-crushing winters, while in New York it's the cramped, competitive feeling.
Also, cheap bad food in Chicago is stuff like hot dogs and rib tips, whereas in NYC it's obviously pizza.
I have been to both places and lived in Chicago for a few years, it would suck if you poor in both places. Since NYC is the most exspensive city in America i would rather be poor in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 05:37 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,314,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungJournalist View Post
It's because people in poverty are forced to take public transportation; they don't have the option of taking taxis in emergencies or when they are late. It's has ramifications all over the place: job interviews missed because the train is late; can't pick kids up on time if the bus decides not to stop; have to wait in the cold at night.

Case in point: I almost always take public transportation, but once after a Yankees game I was trying to get home and no buses were coming down Fordham road. I waited with several people for over an hour until everyone started walking. Miraculously, a cab came down the road -- this does NOT happen in the Bronx at midnight. I had money to take it; everyone else had to walk miles to get home, meanwhile leaving children unattended at home to get into trouble; making themselves exhausted for work the next day and increasing the chances that they don't function as well as lose their jobs, etc. If your public transportation sucks you have these problems every day.

Efficiency Public transportation is a HUGE concern for people without money. If you have money, you just use the 'L' because it's convenient. If you don't, you are its slave. It's ignorant to say that it's the same for all people.
? Those are terribly ignorant comments. I make over $70K in Chicago and have taken the buses and trains to work for the past 8 years. I don't own a car because I don't want to, like my friends. Never ONCE in 8 years have I ever taken a cab to or from work - that's what public transit is for. Its not like the trains and buses just don't work half the time or something. I've always taken them to and from every interview I've ever had, never thought twice about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City