Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more beautiful?
North Carolina 66 61.68%
Florida 41 38.32%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 08:24 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times

Advertisements

Hands down I pick North Carolina. NC has a little of everything. You can be in the beautiful cool mountains in the heat of the summer or you can go to the beach. I'm a mountain person so I don't care for the beaches anyway. Florida is also way too crowded and commercialized. If you go to the less populated areas in FL they can be scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 11:24 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,540,707 times
NC by far. Florida is flat, humid and palm trees get old. I like having all 4 seasons. The Outer Banks and Blue Ridge Mountains are just beautiful.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:40 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,428,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
NC by far. Florida is flat, humid and palm trees get old. I like having all 4 seasons. The Outer Banks and Blue Ridge Mountains are just beautiful.
I have alot of friends like you that can't imagine not having all 4 seasons. ME, I hope I never see snow again. It was bad enough when I found ice on my windshield the other day.

I want to be in a bathing suit and barefoot everyday, I could never live in the Carolinas. I might even move further South one day.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:02 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,606,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiestaBay View Post
Not only have I traveled there, I couldn't travel fast enough to get out! It's a nasty, nasty state!
Are you kidding me? Saying North Carolina is ugly is like saying John Muir hated Yosemite, right!

I have to say NC has a lot of diversity in it's landscape. You can't beat the 5K foot mountain peaks. They're beyond words. The mountains alone are a reason why I choose NC over FL.

Can you explain why you don't like NC?

Old 02-09-2009, 10:42 AM

162 posts, read 657,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Are you kidding me? Saying North Carolina is ugly is like saying John Muir hated Yosemite, right!

I have to say NC has a lot of diversity in it's landscape. You can't beat the 5K foot mountain peaks. They're beyond words. The mountains alone are a reason why I choose NC over FL.

Kidding? No. It's a fact!

North Carolina... okay, let's start with the beaches. Ugly as sin. Brown mucky water, it's cold unless it's the summer and even then many parts are hard to access without driving on the beach itself.

Moving on, the people from there, where did they come from, Mars?! Seems like just about everyone smokes down there (I guess they think the beach is just a big ashtray?) And that stupid southern drawl! I remember in the late 90's people were still able to smoke in the supermarket.

Continuing, where's the shopping and the city? If I want to get to an actual big city I have to drive quite a ways inland.

Another problem I have are the roads. In Florida you can make a giant loop around the entire state. NC you have to drive 30 miles one way, and 45 miles the other just to get to your destination. Add potholes and disrepair to that and your car might just might not make it out alive.

With regard to the mountains, even if you want to go to them you still have to drive. As bad as public transportation is in FL, NC is 10000000000 times worse. At least FL has some walkable cities and towns, NC, nope!

In terms of natural beauty, FL wins hands down, too. Where in NC can you experience the tropics, live coral reefs, vibrant cities, history, and believe it or not, 4 seasons (granted milder, but north FL does have noticeable season changes, not just hot!) and a diverse population?

I am glad more people like NC though... at least that means they won't be moving there!

Old 02-09-2009, 03:13 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Quote:
The Florida Keys are beautiful and pristine. I don't see crystal clear blue water off the coast of NC!
That's due to the physical composition of the sand/soil in both areas.

Quote:
Nothing could possibly be better than the history and charm of Key West. Add the many ship wreck dive sites, coral reefs, tropical foliage, and local fare and you've got it all over NC.
Not too sure about Key West, but coastal NC has it fair share of history as well, all the way from New Bern down to Wilmington.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:30 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Quote:
Kidding? No. It's a fact!

North Carolina... okay, let's start with the beaches. Ugly as sin. Brown mucky water, it's cold unless it's the summer and even then many parts are hard to access without driving on the beach itself.

Moving on, the people from there, where did they come from, Mars?! Seems like just about everyone smokes down there (I guess they think the beach is just a big ashtray?) And that stupid southern drawl! I remember in the late 90's people were still able to smoke in the supermarket.

Continuing, where's the shopping and the city? If I want to get to an actual big city I have to drive quite a ways inland.

Another problem I have are the roads. In Florida you can make a giant loop around the entire state. NC you have to drive 30 miles one way, and 45 miles the other just to get to your destination. Add potholes and disrepair to that and your car might just might not make it out alive.

With regard to the mountains, even if you want to go to them you still have to drive. As bad as public transportation is in FL, NC is 10000000000 times worse. At least FL has some walkable cities and towns, NC, nope!

In terms of natural beauty, FL wins hands down, too. Where in NC can you experience the tropics, live coral reefs, vibrant cities, history, and believe it or not, 4 seasons (granted milder, but north FL does have noticeable season changes, not just hot!) and a diverse population?

I am glad more people like NC though... at least that means they won't be moving there!
Question: what cities in NC do you have experience with and for how long?

Old 02-25-2009, 10:03 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
CA looks better then both. CA has everything both states have, but within a closer distance to each other. Snow skiing on the San Gabriel mountains in LA county.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:41 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post

I dont see anything Attractive about NC for some reason there are are way more residents in the state of Florida than NC why do more people choose to to vacation in Florida than NC. Thats strange since FL so falt and ugly. I think beaches are more beautiful than mountains especially in South Florida and key west.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:42 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,093,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
CA looks better then both. CA has everything both states have, but within a closer distance to each other. Snow skiing on the San Gabriel mountains in LA county.

FLorida beaches look better than CA though. especially Key west
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City