Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rather Live In...
Atlanta 49 31.21%
Los Angeles 108 68.79%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 06:07 PM

804 posts, read 2,402,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
I'm fully aware of what L.A. is like. A majority of L.A. County would be considered third world by most Americans.

There are massive swaths of the L.A. region where Spanish is the primary language.

The majority of metro L.A. looks like a fruit basket of squabbling races, ethnicities, and nationalities.

There are many, many areas with graffiti on a large percentage of buildings.

The higher crime rate is more widespread in metro L.A. than in most U.S. metro areas.

Much of Metro L.A. does NOT look American, but rather something out of the third world. It's more like a combination of Mexico and China in many areas, if judging by the population.
And Atlanta is just rundown in some areas with black people speakin Ebonics and crappy schools.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:16 PM

People are so unaware of the changes happening to LA. Downtown is changing and Hollywood is changing, koreatown is growing public transit is expanding and is influencing the areas around it to revitailize.etc people should vist LA like right now and see these changes. Why are people stuck in the past with LA? The whole region isn't even all Mexican. LA county demographics show a 48% is white 48% Mexican latino the rest is other racese. There's plenty of good and nice areas in LA as well.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:26 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
And Atlanta is just rundown in some areas with black people speakin Ebonics and crappy schools.
Ebonics is widely spoken in the Eastern US, that's how I talk, for someone who already understands English its easier to understand Ebonics than Spanish. Atlanta isn't that rundown and not all Atlanta schools are terrible a lot are good.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Ebonics is widely spoken in the Eastern US, that's how I talk, for someone who already understands English its easier to understand Ebonics than Spanish. Atlanta isn't that rundown and not all Atlanta schools are terrible a lot are good.
I was being sarcastic. It's just... Ugh I am logging off I am all dis - oriented

Old 08-13-2009, 06:43 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
Black Vernacular English (Ebonics) is spoken in all regions of the US--with regional variations as well. I'm sure everyone realizes it. Hollywood Inquirer was being justifiably sarcastic with one of the resident racist trolls. I hope that everyone realizes that City Fanatic is by far not representative of the majority of Atlanta residents.

And on a final note, I really don't know why it's so damn hard for some people not to be an insufferable a__hole. Seriously--it's not about being politically correct; it's simply about decency and respect. If you can't be decent, then go home and slap your mama because she did a horrible job of raising you.

Last edited by south-to-west; 08-13-2009 at 06:53 PM..

Old 08-13-2009, 08:05 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
One thing Miami and LA have in common, is that people love to call Miami and LA thirdworld cities, when they haven't known anybody from REAL thirworld countries. My parents are from Haiti, in the carribean, THAT's a REAL 3rdworld country. LA and Miami do have parts that look somewhat 3rdworldish, but I think people LOOOOOOOVE to overexgerrate that word, and overuse it, and overplay it, to put down GREAT American cities that don't really deserve that moniker. If you live in LA and Miami you're a 3rd worlder, that's the mentality of C-D.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:51 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
One thing Miami and LA have in common, is that people love to call Miami and LA thirdworld cities, when they haven't known anybody from REAL thirworld countries. My parents are from Haiti, in the carribean, THAT's a REAL 3rdworld country. LA and Miami do have parts that look somewhat 3rdworldish, but I think people LOOOOOOOVE to overexgerrate that word, and overuse it, and overplay it, to put down GREAT American cities that don't really deserve that moniker. If you live in LA and Miami you're a 3rd worlder, that's the mentality of C-D.
This is absolutely true, I love both cities and I hate when people call them "third world", they sound ignorant.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:00 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
If you live in LA and Miami you're a 3rd worlder, that's the mentality of C-D.
No, that's the mentality of racists and xenophobes. There are areas in Appalachia that look more Third World than anything in Miami or LA, but you sure in the hell don't here anything beat their chest about that.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:09 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Too many insults being slung around rather than people staying on topic, so.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City