Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 12:16 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
IMO, there are few boring cities; just boring people. If some of you are so bored that you need to be constantly entertained, you're going to live short lives.
or perhaps we actually like doing stuff with other people, making friends or doing interesting things, and when we get dropped in the boring city with boring drones who actually ARE boring we have to become reclusive observers of why the cities suck. Most people who are posting like that on here ARE like this and HAVE lived in other cities and had good lives, only to move by their own means, or by means out of their control by work/economic/family situations and trying to get out, just not as easy to pack and go on a whim, especially right now. When your idea of fun is going to a museum, concert, or all night at a good restaurant, and the people around you want to go to Talladega, mud bogging or hunting a gobbling turkey... It might be exciting for them, but boring, even distasteful and mindless to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 12:26 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
Winnemucca, Nevada

Old 05-07-2009, 12:27 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
or perhaps we actually like doing stuff with other people, making friends or doing interesting things, and when we get dropped in the boring city with boring drones who actually ARE boring we have to become reclusive observers of why the cities suck. Most people who are posting like that on here ARE like this and HAVE lived in other cities and had good lives, only to move by their own means, or by means out of their control by work/economic/family situations and trying to get out, just not as easy to pack and go on a whim, especially right now. When your idea of fun is going to a museum, concert, or all night at a good restaurant, and the people around you want to go to Talladega, mud bogging or hunting a gobbling turkey... It might be exciting for them, but boring, even distasteful and mindless to you.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:28 PM

you in san jose? uh huh...come to the deep south and see how you like it. My gf is from the bay and she also hates it. Last I checked going to a museum concert or a restaurant wasn't elitist, but pretty normal...at least in Chicagoland or anywhere else. ATL even gets it (but is often bashed horribly on here), I was just trying to get up there recently to check out the aquarium.
Come down here and work and see people bringing in fishing poles and carrying bibles around the office. or my neighbor in a middle class neighborhood with a confederate flag, florida native, good ol boy sticker and a giant bass on his 1975 chevy truck on mud tires. About 300 pounds downing natty ice quarts mowing the lawn with his shirt off, then usually sits in the garage for a bit getting drunk and watching nascar on sundays.

I'm moving out there soon, its normal at least in SJ and Oak.

Honestly I don't think you "get it" or what we are talking about... nyc1day, bchris, bcreass, texasthekid get it and know how it is. I'm sure you'd think I was pretty "normal" compared to anybody in the bay area, maybe even on the conservative side...it is probably a bit too kooky and yuppy for me in SF. I'm more Chicago/Philly/NYC But here I definitely stand out, how I dress, attitude, what I like to do is a big contrast. All and all I am pretty normal educated american person from a big city and fit right in and go about my business anywhere else. I think you owe it to yourself to live in Columbia, SC or Montgomery, AL or Little Rock, AR for a year so you have an idea of how it is. My gf has a new appreciation of the rest of the United States now and can't wait to get back to "normal american life" I had some friends come visit from Chicago awhile back and drove them around, they were in shock seeing prisoners pick up trash, trucks with gun racks and confederate flags, etc. and having a good laugh, and these were blue collar Chicago guys who DO like to go up to wisconsin on fishing trips and stuff, they thought people here were out of Deliverance.

Last edited by grapico; 05-07-2009 at 01:05 PM..

Old 05-07-2009, 12:44 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,931,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Winnemucca, Nevada
I spent a night there. I played a slot machine in some gas station. I had a blast!

Old 05-07-2009, 01:27 PM

795 posts, read 2,409,367 times
Quote:
you in san jose? uh huh...come to the deep south and see how you like it. My gf is from the bay and she also hates it. Last I checked going to a museum concert or a restaurant wasn't elitist, but pretty normal...at least in Chicagoland or anywhere else. ATL even gets it (but is often bashed horribly on here), I was just trying to get up there recently to check out the aquarium.
Come down here and work and see people bringing in fishing poles and carrying bibles around the office. or my neighbor in a middle class neighborhood with a confederate flag, florida native, good ol boy sticker and a giant bass on his 1975 chevy truck on mud tires. About 300 pounds downing natty ice quarts mowing the lawn with his shirt off, then usually sits in the garage for a bit getting drunk and watching nascar on sundays.

Honestly I don't think you "get it" or what we are talking about... nyc1day, bchris, bcreass, texasthekid get it and know how it is. I'm sure you'd think I was pretty "normal" compared to anybody in the bay area, maybe even on the conservative side...it is probably a bit too kooky and yuppy for me in SF. I'm more Chicago/Philly/NYC But here I definitely stand out, how I dress, attitude, what I like to do is a big contrast. All and all I am pretty normal educated american person from a big city and fit right in and go about my business anywhere else. I think you owe it to yourself to live in Columbia, SC or Montgomery, AL or Little Rock, AR for a year so you have an idea of how it is. My gf has a new appreciation of the rest of the United States now and can't wait to get back to "normal american life" I had some friends come visit from Chicago awhile back and drove them around, they were in shock seeing prisoners pick up trash, trucks with gun racks and confederate flags, etc. and having a good laugh, and these were blue collar Chicago guys who DO like to go up to wisconsin on fishing trips and stuff, they thought people here were out of Deliverance.
Don't worry about him. He is just "bored" in the city of SJ and likes to throw his two cents at people's opinions.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:34 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Quote:

Alright, fair enough. I do think there's a difference between stereotypically "southern" activities like car races and true boredom which turns people onto meth and ****. If people have a good time, getting all dressed up to go square dancing at the veterans hall, good on them. It beats shooting a broken down car in your back yard after downing a case of Budweiser.

I don't differ much from you in what I want from a place, but I'm careful not to group together everything else. There is a distinction between "boring" and "not really my thing."
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
Don't worry about him. He is just "bored" in the city of SJ and likes to throw his two cents at people's opinions.
Says the guy holding a grudge...

Old 05-07-2009, 01:42 PM

322 posts, read 800,071 times
jersey city, new jersey...borefest ...had a family reunion there...all my cousins kept askin me "how is it in cali?? ohh i wanna go there!..the weather blah blah" ..lol

Old 05-07-2009, 01:49 PM

795 posts, read 2,409,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Alright, fair enough. I do think there's a difference between stereotypically "southern" activities like car races and true boredom which turns people onto meth and ****. If people have a good time, getting all dressed up to go square dancing at the veterans hall, good on them. It beats shooting a broken down car in your back yard after downing a case of Budweiser.

I don't differ much from you in what I want from a place, but I'm careful not to group together everything else. There is a distinction between "boring" and "not really my thing."

Not a grudge just an observation. I don't think people here really believe they are employing the scientific method with their statements. You're just too harsh sometimes and come off as trolling posts.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post

No problem, my beef is with the deep small to mid size city DEEP south. I'm talking NorthFlorida, outside of Bham and parts of coastal in Alabama, outside of Atlanta in Georgia, SC, Mississippi, North Louisiana, outside of nw corner of Arkansas, and outside of a few rich neighborhoods on "good sides of towns" might have left out some safe zones...but that is the gist of it. Never the south as a whole like Dallas/Charlotte/ATL/Houston/. And yeah, maybe it is happening for some people, but definitely boring if you aren't in that category, pretty much all there is. There is the new south... pretty cool cities that get bashed too much, the old south, like tn, virginia, kentucky. then the deep south which is a whole different ballgame. I don't dislike southern people, I dislike the redneck close minded majority in the area specified. The truly southern people here dislike the rednecks as well, so I don't feel bad at all talking about how backwards it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City