Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Wich Chinatown do you like the best?
Chinatown, San Francisco 135 64.90%
Chinatown, New York City 54 25.96%
Chinatown, Los Angeles 19 9.13%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 12:05 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,160,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Doesn't chicago have two chinatowns? I also heard it's starting to spread southward.
Are you referring to Argyle? I guess you could consider it that way, but then I'd think a number of the major cities have a couple "chinatowns." Does Flushing in NYC count? Monterey Park and Rowland Heights in LA? I mean, of course in a city with a large chinese population, there will be more than one area with a high concentration of such residents/businesses.

...unless you were referring to the sort of old and new sides of the historic Chinatown in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 03:55 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
I'm referring to Cermak, not Argyle (cool too) but not near as big, that is more "little vietnam" I've only been up there for Pho

Old 03-26-2009, 04:00 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,305,658 times
I like San Fran's chinatown, plus it's the one I have moreso historically heard about. But my ultimate vote goes to Charlotte chinatown. lol. If we had one.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:48 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,160,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I'm referring to Cermak, not Argyle (cool too) but not near as big, that is more "little vietnam" I've only been up there for Pho
i thought cermak was chinatown. So you mean two chinatowns like the older part and the newer part? Yeah, argyle is definitely more vietnamese influenced, but there are several dim sum joints, a nice Chinese BBQ, and a couple Chinese bakeries too.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:11 PM

35 posts, read 116,571 times
YUMMMYYY!!!
I MISS ALL THE GOOOD STUFF IN SAN FRANCISCO!!!
The good haircuts. The good foods.
And you could even see great views.
San Francisco Skyline, Transamerica Pyramid, and Bay Bridge.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:37 PM

210 posts, read 845,625 times
Good topic! But it is not even close, San Francisco's by a mile! Like Jman Said San Francisco's is the largest chinatown outside of asia...that speaks for itself.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:05 PM
DVT

1 posts, read 2,865 times
I have travelled to both SF and New York Chinatowns and my first impression was that SF's was more densely crowded. It could be that I went to SF on market day, and to NY during a special holiday? I also prefer SF's Chinatown to NYC's. SF's probably is more bigger. There are more blocks in Manhattan Chinatown, but they are shorter, whereas SF's covers more ground w/longer blocks. NYC also seems bigger because it's on flat ground and seems to go on forever. SF's is situated on a steep west to east hill w/inclines north to south, which makes one feel enclosed in a small area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
I picked NYC's... The largest concentration of Chinese people outside of China. New York has more than one Chinatown. All of them are real. There are Chinese people playing Chinese games on the street, Chinese newspapers, etc.
Image from - [URL="http://www.angryasianman.com"]www.angryasianman.com[/URL]

Photo taken by MarkDM of www.flickr.com (http://www.flickr.com - broken link)

Imag link - [url=http://blogs.newamericamedia.org/photo-of-the-day/351/nyc-chinatown]New America Media Blogs[/url]

Photo taken by Keith Levit Photography

San Francisco's seemed too tourist-centered and I've never been to LA's.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:42 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,009,685 times
Most Chinatowns are declining anyways, in terms of food. The most authentic Chinese food is in LA. The worst Chinatown I've ever been is Chicago. All restaurants there are very ordinary, Americanized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian/SWE View Post
Chinatown, San Francisco.

Chinatown, NYC.

Chinatown, LA.

So wich one is your favorite? My would be San Francisco.
Or if you have any other suggestions on other Chinatown(s), please post your suggestion!

Old 06-13-2009, 11:44 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,009,685 times
That's because most of the Chinese restaurants in NY are in flushing now. SF only has one Chinatown. It didn't evolve a rivaling place as the second wave of Chinese(this time mostly mainland (Szechuan, Hunan, etc.)) food arrived as NY and LA did because I think there is no space any more. That's why it is larger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVT View Post
I have travelled to both SF and New York Chinatowns and my first impression was that SF's was more densely crowded. It could be that I went to SF on market day, and to NY during a special holiday? I also prefer SF's Chinatown to NYC's. SF's probably is more bigger. There are more blocks in Manhattan Chinatown, but they are shorter, whereas SF's covers more ground w/longer blocks. NYC also seems bigger because it's on flat ground and seems to go on forever. SF's is situated on a steep west to east hill w/inclines north to south, which makes one feel enclosed in a small area.

Last edited by fashionguy; 06-13-2009 at 11:57 PM..

Old 06-14-2009, 04:18 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
That's because most of the Chinese restaurants in NY are in flushing now. SF only has one Chinatown. It didn't evolve a rivaling place as the second wave of Chinese(this time mostly mainland (Szechuan, Hunan, etc.)) food arrived as NY and LA did because I think there is no space any more. That's why it is larger.
It has only one neighborhood officially called "Chinatown," but part of the Inner Richmond District centered around Clement St. is widely considered SF's second Chinatown. And there are several other smaller majority Chinese business neighborhoods within the city limits such as Irving, Noriega, Taraval, San Bruno Ave, Leland St, etc. Its not larger due to a lack of space to grow; its larger b/c it was the first Chinatown in the US and its boundaries have been extended to accommodate a Chinese population that has been growing since the 1800s.

And that's only speaking on what exists w/in SF's city limits (which is what you should only really be comparing to Manhattan). There's still Oakland's Chinatown right across the bridge (which IMO is very similar to Flushing's Chinatown), and a huge Chinese population with a ton of variety throughout the entire Bay Area. There never was any shortage of area to allow for expansion of the options for Chinese cuisine here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City