Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 05:29 PM

240 posts, read 504,491 times

Advertisements

Hello,

How would you compare Spokane vs. Boise in terms of cultural amenenties, historic neighborhoods, a vibrant downtown, and just quality of life in general for a younger professional new to the area.

You could also throw in there outdoor activities and weather.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 11:27 AM

438 posts, read 1,796,416 times
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my guess is that Boise would be even more conservative then Spokane. Did a little digging and they voted over 60% Republican in the last presidential election.
Also, Boise is a little more Mormon then Spokane. About 45,000 members to Spokane's 14,000. There's seems to be a large Catholic population, too. Doesn't bother me, because I am Mormon, but I think it's only fair to warn "outsiders". lol. Especially since Spokane's conservatism has been something other people on this blog have complained about. :~) D

Old 10-10-2008, 12:38 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,910,446 times
I have never been to Boise but have met people comparing the 2 locations to decide where to live. Spokane is more treed and varied in terrain. Boise is drier, browner and has more flat terrain than Spokane. Spokane has more to offer culturally than Boise. Those are just second hand comments that I've heard from other people who have been to both places.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:14 PM

389 posts, read 1,075,063 times
Washington is simply better than Idaho. :P

Old 10-10-2008, 09:23 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,423,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticPhoenix View Post
Washington is simply better than Idaho. :P
I second that motion.., nothing personal...from the western to the southern to the eastern part of Washington, it's beautiful..I have lived in all parts of the state beginning in the 60's as a youth near Seattle.. presently reside in Spokane...

Old 10-13-2008, 07:03 AM

438 posts, read 1,796,416 times
The song, "Living in My Own Private Idaho" comes to mind. Pretty much sums it up--and I was only there for two and a half semesters. :~) D

Old 10-13-2008, 11:41 AM

87 posts, read 372,914 times
Default My vote is for Spokane.

My DH's family lives in Boise, but when we move back west in a few weeks we're moving to Spokane. Spokane's not exactly lush, but Boise seems to be much drier. And with all the growth, Boise has some terrible traffic. Of course, after living in DC, I have to chuckle when anyone complains of traffic! But, hey everybody, why are we sharing all these great things about Spokane, we don't want everybody to move there! Shhhhh...

Old 11-08-2008, 09:18 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,706,509 times
Boise is a bigger area (650k metro vs Spokane's 450k). With that, you have a few more activites like sporting events, cultural events, and shopping. Boise also has a better economy and, in my opinion, is a much cleaner and generally nicer city. Boise also has better weather in the spring, fall, and winter. Boise also has better access to outdoor recreation.

Spokane also has much better weather in the Summer. I think summers in MT, North ID, and WA are the absolute best. Boise is also more conservative (although not as conservative as the rest of ID), so if you're liberal you might want to consider that. Boise does have a larger LDS populaltion (if that's an issue for you), though it's mostly concentrated in the suburbs. Spokan has better traffic but neither one is that bad if you've ever lived in major city.

Just my 2 cents

Old 11-10-2008, 12:18 PM

26 posts, read 108,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd4 View Post
Hello,

How would you compare Spokane vs. Boise in terms of cultural amenenties, historic neighborhoods, a vibrant downtown, and just quality of life in general for a younger professional new to the area.

You could also throw in there outdoor activities and weather.

Thanks.
Cultural amenities, historic neighborhoods and vibrant downtown I think would have to go to Spokane.

Quality of life: I'd give it a 50/50 for each area

Professional with room to grow. Boise to me has always stood out as having a great economy and I run into a lot of people transferring between the two. Both have a small town feel despite the larger populations but with those larger populations you will have good potential as a younger professional moving to the area. So for this topic I'd rate them equal.

Weather...Boise is going to have a little more mild transitions between the four seasons. If you want a less desert feel with higher mountains and trees I'd go with Spokane. Lakes, Snow Skiing, Snowmobiling, Mountain Biking etc is very plentiful in the Inland Northwest.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:40 PM

426 posts, read 958,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Boise is a bigger area (650k metro vs Spokane's 450k). With that, you have a few more activites like sporting events, cultural events, and shopping. Boise also has a better economy and, in my opinion, is a much cleaner and generally nicer city. Boise also has better weather in the spring, fall, and winter. Boise also has better access to outdoor recreation.

Spokane also has much better weather in the Summer. I think summers in MT, North ID, and WA are the absolute best. Boise is also more conservative (although not as conservative as the rest of ID), so if you're liberal you might want to consider that. Boise does have a larger LDS populaltion (if that's an issue for you), though it's mostly concentrated in the suburbs. Spokan has better traffic but neither one is that bad if you've ever lived in major city.

Just my 2 cents

Mostly good points, but I would say that you have to count Kootenai County's 130K or so people as part of the Spokane metro, so the numbers are nearly a wash. Outdoor activities are great in both places, but the summers in the Spokane area give it the edge.

As far as sports and cultural events, Spokane has plenty of both, and if you need a big city fix, you're less than 300 miles to Seattle. In Boise you're close to..... Salt Lake City.

I don't think either city is a bad choice, honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City