Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather be?
Spokane 6 66.67%
Boise 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 08:06 PM

571 posts, read 1,174,577 times

Advertisements

Which of these two cities do you think is best? They are the most evenly matched in the Northwest as far as populations go; right around 600,000 each. Boise has a newer sunbelt/northwest hybrid feel to it, while Spokane has an older rustbelt/northwest vibe going on. Both are the central cities in their metros and boast about 200,000 residents each. Compare based on:

-transportation
-downtown
-urban vibe / built environment
-neighborhoods
-economy
-future outlook

BOISE IDAHO

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SPOKANE WASHINGTON

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

(images are free to use via Wikipedia common use ruling)

Boise used to be only half the size of Spokane, and caught up very quickly and has recently surpassed Spokane in size. That has slowed considerably, so while Boise seemed as though it would not stop growing, it has, and the two remain evenly matched in that regard. Boise is by far the largest city in Idaho, whereas Spokane is a distant second in Washington, though center of a trade area well over 1,000,000.

I think both are great mid-sized cities. It's a toss up for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 05:45 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,419,813 times
I'll take Spokane. I like the older, established vibe, and the weather in eastern Washington. Plus, I'd rather be associated with Washington than Idaho (not that Idaho is bad).

Old 01-13-2011, 11:53 PM

12 posts, read 80,375 times
I've lived in both...and hands down I would live in Boise over Spokane in heartbeat. Live there now-moved here from Spokane in 08. But this is coming from a mother of 4 kids. The only thing I would stay in Spokane for is the education in the k-12 schools. As for colleges-it's really a toss up-both cities I think are equal in what they can offer. The neighborhoods here are awesome-friendly. Boise is just cleaner.
BTW-I was born in Spokane and was raised in Eastern Washington (so def. an unbiased opinion)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City