Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City or Los Angeles?
New York City 143 61.11%
Los Angeles 91 38.89%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 08:38 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times

Advertisements

LA's public transit has its problems - that wasn't my point. It was just that if you're going to use access to and use of public transit as a symbol of city living then you can't write off LA for lack of options.

Most of LA's public transportation problems come from too high of a demand, particularly along very densely populated corridors heading west from downtown towards the ocean. (Wilshire, etc.) Buses run all the time, but they in turn clog the roads themselves and aren't enough to handle the volume of riders. LA's working on getting another subway line (the "subway to the sea") built, which should bring some relief. There's also work going on at the moment to add more light rail lines, so public transportation options are improving. There's certainly the population density, interest, and need.

LA traffic is bad, but New York traffic - for those who are driving - is pretty unpleasant, too.

How does it diminish NYC's status as a major international city to acknowledge that LA isn't one big suburb? I guess I just don't get it - I'm a city person through and through, and I love both places.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:43 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Hm. New York metro is larger than LA metro and no, New York is never as gridlocked as LA. Statistically 50% of households do not have access to a car. Wikipedia: New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
On the other hand LA wins every giddlock contest in the country.
LOL - You obviously didn't read my post, and have never been to L.A.

New York is not only more gridlocked than L.A., wiki is a pretty lame resource for someone that is so supposedly superior.

Certainly you can do better than this lame garbage.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:02 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

New York is not only more gridlocked than L.A., wiki is a pretty lame resource for someone that is so supposedly superior.

Why lame? Wikie is great and right on the money 99% of the time.

LA "wins" the griddlock contests each and every time. Google for it if you do not trust wiki and want to do the legwork yourself...

Old 03-16-2009, 09:02 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,020,826 times
Quote:

You are one of the many people who dont pay attention. Where do you think wikipedia gets info from? Do you know what those numbers and the end of statements are? Do you know how the website works. There is virtually no information on wikipedia that wrong. They have mods to check pages for any vandalism(ex. language, statements with no credit or citations, etc)

Old 03-16-2009, 09:07 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,041 times
You can't BS a person who has lived in both cities One way to look at Los Angeles in comparison to New York is to watch an episode of Entourage\ HBO. A typical LA "fast lane" of women\ constant weed\ swimming pools & parties as seen thru the eyes of New York celebrities. When the actors return home to Queens the bleakness\ ethnic\ drab\ inhospitable climate is portrayed in a way an Angeleno may picture NYC. Both are incorrect unless applied to narrow neighborhoods in both cities.

I had the opportunity to live\work\study in New York [Brooklyn to be exact] & loved every day since I was a kid from Cali wanting to see the world. I returned home because of family\ roots but knew then that I would be most happy in California.

New Yorkers can justifiably praise what it the "primal" city of America [nobody refutes that]. But New York is a city in a relatively uninteresting state. People can't access activities that involves the outdoors in NYC in comparison to Los Angeles. I love the "Finger lakes" & swam out at Rockaway [via the Canarsie line] every weekend & taught kids how to body surf. BTW the ocean temps are about the same in summer [65F-75F] but the Atlantic cools down dramatically by Sept [just when California goes into its second summer that ends around Thanksgiving

Manhattan is an incredibly exciting city but tends to be more interesting to those who like the opera\ plays\ museums\ restaurants all accessible on fast subways. LA is more outdoor-oriented. The "sprawl" is so that everybody gets a yard\ palm tree or pool. Unfortunately, it isn't practical & why urban LA is in crisis mode until trains are built ASAP.

Being the largest city in a state like California makes Los Angeles a far more favorable place to live. The array of things to do far exceeds what is available to New Yorkers. For the most part, Los Angeles can provide all the same opportunities [ie. live television shows] that New Yorkers enjoy. BTW, who eats at 4AM beside party people? But New York can not match LA in what is available out here [skiing\ surfing\ mountain biking\ etc all practically within city limits!

Old 03-16-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
LA's public transit has its problems - that wasn't my point. It was just that if you're going to use access to and use of public transit as a symbol of city living then you can't write off LA for lack of options.

Most of LA's public transportation problems come from too high of a demand, particularly along very densely populated corridors heading west from downtown towards the ocean. (Wilshire, etc.) Buses run all the time, but they in turn clog the roads themselves and aren't enough to handle the volume of riders.

How does it diminish NYC's status as a major international city to acknowledge that LA isn't one big suburb? I guess I just don't get it - I'm a city person through and through, and I love both places.
Well, first of all, if there is "too much demand" that means that the option is just not there, right? What good is a bus if you can't get on it or get stuck in traffic while riding it?

I am not trying to diminish LA, sorry if it came across this way. I just like the good old European cities like NY, Boston or... SF. This is what urban feel is about for me as opposed to let's say suburbian for the most part New Jersey. Let's stop at this. I acknowledge LA is a great city, it is just not my kind of city. I like walking the streets and being close to other people. I like not having to DRIVE to get groceries. Again, this is what urban feel is all about for me.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:28 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,020,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
You can't BS a person who has lived in both cities One way to look at Los Angeles in comparison to New York is to watch an episode of Entourage\ HBO. A typical LA "fast lane" of women\ constant weed\ swimming pools & parties as seen thru the eyes of New York celebrities. When the actors return home to Queens the bleakness\ ethnic\ drab\ inhospitable climate is portrayed in a way an Angeleno may picture NYC. Both are incorrect unless applied to narrow neighborhoods in both cities.

I had the opportunity to live\work\study in New York [Brooklyn to be exact] & loved every day since I was a kid from Cali wanting to see the world. I returned home because of family\ roots but knew then that I would be most happy in California.

New Yorkers can justifiably praise what it the "primal" city of America [nobody refutes that]. But New York is a city in a relatively uninteresting state. People can't access activities that involves the outdoors in NYC in comparison to Los Angeles. I love the "Finger lakes" & swam out at Rockaway [via the Canarsie line] every weekend & taught kids how to body surf. BTW the ocean temps are about the same in summer [65F-75F] but the Atlantic cools down dramatically by Sept [just when California goes into its second summer that ends around Thanksgiving

Manhattan is an incredibly exciting city but tends to be more interesting to those who like the opera\ plays\ museums\ restaurants all accessible on fast subways. LA is more outdoor-oriented. The "sprawl" is so that everybody gets a yard\ palm tree or pool. Unfortunately, it isn't practical & why urban LA is in crisis mode until trains are built ASAP.

Being the largest city in a state like California makes Los Angeles a far more favorable place to live. The array of things to do far exceeds what is available to New Yorkers. For the most part, Los Angeles can provide all the same opportunities [ie. live television shows] that New Yorkers enjoy. BTW, who eats at 4AM beside party people? But New York can not match LA in what is available out here [skiing\ surfing\ mountain biking\ etc all practically within city limits!
Actually we offer that and more. This is coming my friend who just recently moved to NY from LA. We may not have somethings in city limits but we have everything within the area. You can go skiing up north, you can go mountain biking west and north of the city, surfing in NJ or Long Island. Its a stereotype that you cant get outdoor activities in NY. We even have outdoor activities indoors.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:31 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
You are one of the many people who dont pay attention. Where do you think wikipedia gets info from? Do you know what those numbers and the end of statements are? Do you know how the website works. There is virtually no information on wikipedia that wrong. They have mods to check pages for any vandalism(ex. language, statements with no credit or citations, etc)
Whatever. People that know how to do real research consider it outdated and questionable - at best.

Wiki is for people that are in a hurry or too lazy to dig deeper.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Whatever. People that know how to do real research consider it outdated and questionable - at best.

Wiki is for people that are in a hurry or too lazy to dig deeper.
And "real research" is always objective and never gets disputed?

For most uses wiki is perfect and most up-to-date source of info available.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:51 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,680,051 times
LA has islands as well...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City