Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which California city is San Francisco closer in stature to?
Los Angeles 88 88.89%
San Diego 11 11.11%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2023, 12:10 PM

8,863 posts, read 6,865,667 times

Advertisements

One media market, one job market, one sports market, continuous dense development, one major downtown, one dominant airport...

A cadre of people will always argue the other way but all major signs are aligned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2023, 12:21 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,324,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I kinda agree here, and tbh a lot of LA is just bloated population fluff with very little output. LA isn't even a top 10 MSA for Fortune 500's in the US.

SF MSA alone punches well above weight, and the entire Bay Area CSA is up in the top 4 in many metrics with NYC, LA, and DC. It leaves San Diego in the dust IMO.
I think having 40% of the entire countries imported goods come into the port of LA/Long Beach via containers is magnitudes more important in real world relevance then how many F500 HQ's set up shop for in your city for tax reasons.

Old 08-03-2023, 12:23 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
When was it officially decided that San Francisco holds dominion over all of these cities "in its orbit?"

The fact that the flagship transit system for the area (BART) does not have "San Francisco" in the name suggests that it doesn't.
Well, because it does.

Not for nothing, I grew up there. I grew up in the South Bay, what the census bureau claims is the SJ metro area and there was never a clear delineation that SF was not the defacto capitol of the area. It’s a continuous, contiguous urban area. Sure, we mostly left SF for the tourists or concerts, but if you wanted to have a fancy event, we didn’t go to SJ, we headed up to SF. All our broadcasting was in SF. Hell, the SF 49ers play in Santa Clara, also right next to San Jose and in the supposed SJ metro. The Bay Area is a single unit. The idea that SF and SJ are separate metro areas is bizarre to me, and points to the census bureau perhaps needing to not sit in an office on the east coast and pretend it knows what it’s talking about.

Old 08-03-2023, 12:25 PM

497 posts, read 352,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Well, because it does.

Not for nothing, I grew up there. I grew up in the South Bay, what the census bureau claims is the SJ metro area and there was never a clear delineation that SF was not the defacto capitol of the area. It’s a continuous, contiguous urban area. Sure, we mostly left SF for the tourists or concerts, but if you wanted to have a fancy event, we didn’t go to SJ, we headed up to SF. All our broadcasting was in SF. Hell, the SF 49ers play in Santa Clara, also right next to San Jose and in the supposed SJ metro. The Bay Area is a single unit. The idea that SF and SJ are separate metro areas is bizarre to me, and points to the census bureau perhaps needing to not sit in an office on the east coast and pretend it knows what it’s talking about.
Yeah SJ never feels like an independent city. I even had a friend asking me if SJ is a neighborhood in SF lol

Old 08-03-2023, 12:28 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
I think having 40% of the entire countries imported goods come into the port of LA/Long Beach via containers is magnitudes more important in real world relevance then how many F500 HQ's set up shop for in your city for tax reasons.
With this same logic Rotterdam would be at least the 2nd most important city in Europe. It's not. I've been there, and was in the Netherlands last month.

LA should punch at a higher weight for it's size than it does across the board. The Riverside MSA does little but bloat the population up to "NY's tier". Yet when breaking it down by each metric gets wiped out by the NYC MSA/CSA. Los Angeles per capita numbers are rarely if ever near the top 5 in anything, and NY's are always higher.

LA is top 3 when it's all said and done because of size and prestige, just saying that SF or the Bay Area should certainly be considered closer to it's "tier" than SD is to SF.

Old 08-03-2023, 12:45 PM

You could argue that a rural freeway or rail intersection is pretty important, depending on the scenario.

I agree that port throughput is a big factor. But we're talking about "stature," which I'd say is more about shiny things like tech and iconic places.

Old 08-03-2023, 01:03 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
You could argue that a rural freeway or rail intersection is pretty important, depending on the scenario.

I agree that port throughput is a big factor. But we're talking about "stature," which I'd say is more about shiny things like tech and iconic places.
If we’re talking about stature, SF does have a top 5-6 iconic landmark in the Golden Gate Bridge that is on par with and rivals LA’s Hollywood sign worldwide with familiarity and oozes SF, CA, and the USA when one sees a picture of it. I cannot think of anything in San Diego that is anywhere as prominent (as much as I like the Zoo and Coronado bridge).

Old 08-03-2023, 01:04 PM

Agreed. SD might be my favorite place to visit in CA but iconic it's not. LA and SF ooze iconic places.

Old 08-03-2023, 01:27 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,324,811 times
Quote:
With this same logic Rotterdam would be at least the 2nd most important city in Europe. It's not. I've been there, and was in the Netherlands last month.
"Importance" is not monolithic.

How important any city is entirely dependent on the context of what metric we are using for importance.

Quote:
LA should punch at a higher weight for it's size than it does across the board. The Riverside MSA does little but bloat the population up to "NY's tier". Yet when breaking it down by each metric gets wiped out by the NYC MSA/CSA. Los Angeles per capita numbers are rarely if ever near the top 5 in anything, and NY's are always higher.
LA is the 3rd largest MSA by nominal GDP on the planet after Tokyo & NYC. It outperforms both London (14.25 million MSA) & Paris (13 million MSA) so this whole "it needs to punch higher" on a per-capita basis argument is silly at best.

Quote:
LA is top 3 when it's all said and done because of size and prestige, just saying that SF or the Bay Area should certainly be considered closer to it's "tier" than SD is to SF.
Nobody is arguing that the Bay Area isn't closer to LA than SD. But there are caveats to that statement nor is it that black and white.

Last edited by Joakim3; 08-03-2023 at 01:56 PM..

Old 08-03-2023, 01:30 PM

SF is only marginally more multi-core than any other region, if that. Seattle has Bellevue and Tacoma and it's still one region. Greater LA has several downtowns.

LA is a light hitter in GDP per capita for a US city, or at least is far below greater SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City