Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Metros With The Nicest Collection of Suburbs 2023
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Alpharetta 35 16.06%
Boston-Cambridge-Newton 44 20.18%
Chicago-Naperville-Elgin 45 20.64%
Dallas-Forth Worth-Arlington 26 11.93%
Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land 12 5.50%
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim 45 20.64%
Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach 15 6.88%
New York-Newark-Jersey City 39 17.89%
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilington 37 16.97%
Phoenix-Mesa-Chandler 16 7.34%
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria 53 24.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 05:38 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,404,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Yep. I lived in Reston, Fairfax County, VA for a couple of years and absolutely hated it. Very sprawling and low-density and autocentric, yet Reston was somehow supposed to be one of the hip, urban(ish) suburbs of the DC Metro Area? I now pay FAR less to live in the heart of Pittsburgh, a walkable thriving major city, and I couldn't be happier.
Idk. I wouldn't really consider Reston "hip". It's where high income suburbanites go to pay $2100 for a 1BR and work for some random government contractor in an uninspiring high rise building in Reston Town Center or Herndon. It's essentially Tysons 2.0 - I'd say Arlington and Alexandria are hip. Once you go out west to Reston or Tysons it's just typical cookie-cutter suburbia with random high rise buildings, McMansions and Teslas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 06:36 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,887,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Reston "hip"?

News to me.

What distinguished it — and Columbia, MD — from the rest of the suburbs in the DC/Baltimore constellation were that they were planned-from-the-ground-up "new towns" that were supposed to be self-contained in some way.

IDK if Reston had anything one might call a "town center" the way Columbia did. Did it?

And come to think of it, I'd be hard pressed to refer to anything in the DMV as "hip." Washington still being a company town of sorts, tech growth be damned, and given that those whose lives depend on that company tend to be rather self-important, hipness is sort of anathema to those people. H Street NE may come close now, however.
Yep, Reston has a “town center†like Columbia.

Old 05-16-2023, 06:54 PM

809 posts, read 471,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Is this really true? I don’t consider most of central and northern NJ to be a hike from nyc, and I feel the same way about parts of Nassau County and Westchester county.

Also the city of LA from my understandings is larger than NYC in square miles and also very car dependent.
Isn’t a suburb a location that is outside the city limits?
Right - and what NYC suburbs do better than any in the country is appreciate their electrified connection to regular running quality commuter rail. This is something that LA severely lacks compared to NYC.

Old 05-16-2023, 07:41 PM

1,056 posts, read 578,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcook1 View Post
Not on the list, but I found Clevelands inner ring suburbs to be hugely underrated and fantastically walkable/transit oriented. In fact, places like Lakewood, Shaker Heights, and Cleveland Heights are among the few suburbs I've been to where I've noticed a huge number of kids walking and biking to and from school which is an indicator of a healthy quality of life for all ages. Shaker Heights and Shaker Square are basically model suburbs with good transit/rail connections to downtown with schools within an easy 10 minute walk of neighborhoods and a well connected network of parks and greenways accessible to most homes by foot.
Just saw this and I wholeheartedly agree.

I believe (if I’m not mistaken.) Shaker Heights was the first master planned community in the country by the railroad barons Van Sweringen brothers. Some poster up thread mentioned the beauty of “the inner ring suburbâ€, I just immediately thought of Shaker Heights. We lived there for a year, the Covid quarantine year no less, but yes there were many kids biked, ran, played and walked on the streets, you could walk to the grocery stores/restaurants…etc. It’s not just the walkability, the city imposes very strict zoning law on the appearance of streets, exterior appeal, and how your house needs to be cohesive and in harmony with your neighbors’. I’m not sure how many other cities have the same, but in Shaker you don’t put your trash cans in the front curb, the city sends a little vehicle swiftly going to your backyard picking them up like a little robot sneaking around because the city doesn’t want the look of the trash cans ruining the street look.

For architecture lovers Shaker Heights/Cleveland Heights/University Heights (The Heights as the locals call.) satisfying me so much with the blocks after blocks of old, storied, grand and opulent Georgian, Neoclassical, Tudor, Colonial, Victorian, Cape Cod….style houses.-which really reflected Cleveland’s past glory.

Old 05-17-2023, 03:41 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,406,824 times
A lot of so called trash cities have some amazing suburbs ironically. I always heard good things about the suburbs of Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis and Philly

Old 05-17-2023, 03:42 PM

12,173 posts, read 8,046,859 times
Quote:
A lot of so called trash cities have some amazing suburbs ironically. I always heard good things about the suburbs of Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis and Philly
+Baltimore, Hartford

Old 05-17-2023, 04:32 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,097,938 times
Quote:
Trash cities

Old 05-17-2023, 04:43 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,357,240 times
Quote:
Really?

Philadelphia isn't a trash city... and yes, it does have great suburbs.

Old 05-17-2023, 08:45 PM

810 posts, read 2,163,681 times
Lol, BeooklynJo said "so called" trash cities.

Old 05-17-2023, 08:46 PM

810 posts, read 2,163,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
+Baltimore, Hartford
Which burbs of Baltimore are nice? I mean there are some but I don't know about many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City