Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Metros With The Nicest Collection of Suburbs 2023
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Alpharetta 35 16.06%
Boston-Cambridge-Newton 44 20.18%
Chicago-Naperville-Elgin 45 20.64%
Dallas-Forth Worth-Arlington 26 11.93%
Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land 12 5.50%
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim 45 20.64%
Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach 15 6.88%
New York-Newark-Jersey City 39 17.89%
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilington 37 16.97%
Phoenix-Mesa-Chandler 16 7.34%
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria 53 24.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2023, 09:54 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,568,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
For LI North Shore, right off the top of my head I would look at Great Neck, Manhasset and Oyster Bay.
I would add Roslyn, Old Bethpage, and Brookville.

For the South Shore of Long Island I would add some of the 5 Towns, such as Hewlett, Cedarhurst, Woodmere/North Woodmere, and Lawrence. Atlantic Beach has some very nice sections as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2023, 07:48 AM

918 posts, read 565,477 times
Old Bethpage is North Shore now? When I was growing up it was just in the central middle zone, neither north nor south.

Old 05-15-2023, 09:57 AM

171 posts, read 189,122 times
Detroit should be on here

Old 05-15-2023, 10:08 AM

5,494 posts, read 3,938,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
It's worth mentioning, I included the largest metros by population up to Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario.

Yes, places like San Francisco and Detroit have an awesome collection of suburbs. But, I had to draw the line somewhere.
You could've just skipped Riverside and included SF and Detroit...no one would've voted for the Inland Empire anyway, heh.

Old 05-15-2023, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
There’s this place off the coast called Beverly Hills that you might want to check out? Bel Air, Holmby Hills, Brentwood, and Los Feliz, to name a few, would like to get in on this conversation as well.
Most of the places you named are located within the city of LA...in fact, they all are, outside of Beverly Hills

Old 05-15-2023, 10:53 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,406,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Los Angeles, hands down.

My wife is from the the burbs of NYC (Westchester Co) and I’ll still take LA over NYC. A lot (or should I say most) of the really nice suburbs (or exurbs more like it) are a hike from NYC. In LA they’re literally right in the middle of the action.

Every major city will have no shortage of really nice suburbs. In some they’re farther out from the city center, others are closer.
Is this really true? I don’t consider most of central and northern NJ to be a hike from nyc, and I feel the same way about parts of Nassau County and Westchester county.

Also the city of LA from my understandings is larger than NYC in square miles and also very car dependent.
Isn’t a suburb a location that is outside the city limits?

Old 05-15-2023, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
Is there a reason D.C. is winning this poll. I've read people on this forum dinging it for it's lack of Old Railroad suburbs. Perhaps the voters don't care about that.
Probably driven by people who have been to Arlington or Alexandria a handful of times (at most), while ignoring the rest of the metro

Post #11 offered a perfect explanation as to why NYC should be crushing this poll.

Old 05-15-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
People on this forum like dense suburbs with pretensions of urbanity of which D.C. has a good few strewn across the landscape. A good number of them are also pretty wealthy, so meet all your generic QOL markers that many people look for.

My personal issue is that I'm not really into the faux urbanity of suburbia - if I move to the suburbs I want the suburbs, not a gentrified generic version of a city. I want space, a slower pace, fewer crowds, less mingling. If you want bars and happening nightlife districts, if you want to pick up 25 year olds for brief encounters, if you want masses of people moving around, busy public buildings and all that...that's what a city is for.

That gripe aside, structurally the problem is they rarely actually fit into the landscape and not a ton of planning has occurred to integrate these different settlements with each other. The suburban sphere is pretty much all over the place in terms of vibe but also appearance. You have some of the ugliest deserts of freeway interchanges and strip malls I've seen here, and they might be right next to a quiet SFH neighborhood, but there's a couple new apartment towers right across and a fancy new Whole Foods or Target in the ground floor. It's like an old small town got half-converted to a post-war suburb which then got half-converted into an edge city and then some new urbanism-inspired mixed use developments got added on. The different eras and stages of American 20th/21st century urban and suburban development got all piled on top of each other chaotically as the area developed in spurts of growth.

Just on the weekend I drove down Richmond Highway past all the new developments along what they now call "National Landing" and at first you see the ugly 1960s/70s brutalism of Crystal City then you hit the new apartment buildings and stores (which will look just as ugly in another 20 years once the 'new building' veneer is off) and on the other side you still got all the old garages, warehouses and stuff from when that area was just kind of a crappy low-value commercial zone on the edge of Alexandria. The D.C. area is full of that kind of ugly dissonance.
Terrific post.

Old 05-15-2023, 12:53 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,761,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Post #11 offered a perfect explanation as to why NYC should be crushing this poll.
Yeah, if you're talking about a "collection of suburbs," then I don't see how Boston, Chicago, DC or Philly would beat out NYC. LA might have the best "suburb" overall in Malibu but I wouldn't say it has a better collection either.

Old 05-15-2023, 01:03 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,568,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
Old Bethpage is North Shore now? When I was growing up it was just in the central middle zone, neither north nor south.
I grew up on Long Island myself and according to the following it is considered North Shore:

https://zippboxx.com/blog/north-shore-long-island/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City