Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 04:57 PM

25 posts, read 21,716 times

Advertisements

Austin. I would lean against it as I'm too old and not hip enough. Never say never though. But I could get twice the house in SA or Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2022, 05:20 PM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Not sure where to put this question.

With so many people on the move, a lot of us are now living in "other" places. My hometown in Southern California was bucolic while growing like a weed. I remember when a new area opened up in 1968 and the gorgeous new homes near the new golf course were $50,000 - the horror! None of us could believe it. My parents bought a house in 1963 for $22K. It's now assessed at $800K (yeah, everywhere's overinflated but anyway).

If money were not an issue, would you ever move back? There are lots of variables, of course. I recently spent time in my hometown. It went through a slump in the 90's and early 2000's but it's come back up in the world and is really nice again - even better than before (except my high school now looks like crap since they took out all the beautiful trees). I might move back if the opportunity arose but I wouldn't want to go back to the traffic. I do miss the mountains, deserts and beaches and that would be a major draw.

What would be a major draw for YOU?
The house mentioned above is now estimated at $947K. L.A. County. Would I move back to my hometown? Maybe, if I were not priced out..

Old 06-18-2022, 05:55 PM

3,887 posts, read 2,199,041 times
Texarkana Texas/Arkansas? Hell no. No job prospects, nothing to do, high crime, people are like zombies on auto pilot just going through the motions day to day!

Old 06-20-2022, 12:50 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,996,667 times
Suburban L.A., not far from OC. There are plenty of worse places to live
(anywhere that gets serious snow), and in some ways it's better than it used to be
(smog is not as bad as it was in my HS days, for one thing).

Of course, there's no end of things to do... whether it be museums, architectural tours,
trying new restaurants, etc etc. And the nearby San Gabriel Mountains are an enjoyable
destination... they're not as spectacular as e.g. the Colorado Rockies, but they're a refreshing
place to spend a day.

OTOH, L.A. is just too crowded... the metro area has a larger population than all but a few states.
So getting out and about to see the many great things... also means sitting in traffic... a lot.
And the heat is a bit much for me... I can put up with it, but I'd rather live in a place with milder summers.

And of course the cost of housing is a big negative.

So, to sum up, it wouldn't be the end of the world... but I wouldn't choose to move back.

Last edited by NW4me; 06-20-2022 at 01:04 PM..

Old 06-20-2022, 01:20 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,269 times
North Jersey, Essex County. Absolutely not. Despite NYC being a 20-30 minute train ride away and some of the best suburbs in the country nearby, you couldn't pay me to move back. Too much riff-raff and low QOL, BAD job market if you're not a tech bro or in HC, out of control rent/housing, zones for riding a bus, the whole state has a lack of pride and hates its own.

Philly was my home away from home as I visited often during my childhood/young adulthood, and lived in the area from 2012-2019. Bad job market, bad governance. Good transit can't make up for those 2.

Old 06-20-2022, 01:31 PM

8,333 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Torrance, California.

Pre-pandemic, yes I would have if I was making about double the amount of money I was. I have a very nice life here and would want to have some semblance of it if I moved back there. Its just way more expensive so Id need more money.

Post-pandemic, California is out of the question. I did not like the way restrictions continue to drag on.

Old 06-20-2022, 01:42 PM

1,320 posts, read 866,859 times
Grew up in Tucson. I like it now more than I did when I was a kid, though I don't think I'd live there again.

Old 06-20-2022, 01:44 PM

2,192 posts, read 1,850,403 times
Bloomingdale, IL. I have no interest in moving back to that particular suburb, or that region of the Chicago metro.

I'll either stay in the city, or move to a place like Evanston or Park Ridge. Or, leave the region entirely. No shot I go back to Bloomingdale.

Old 06-20-2022, 04:50 PM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Randolph MA

Yeah i think i would. No desire to though

Old 06-21-2022, 10:10 AM

934 posts, read 1,440,843 times
Grew up in Kansas City. I've come to love KC the more I go back to visit family, but would only consider possible relocation back to my hometown if I were forced out of Chicago. I grew up in love with the idea of urban living in a huge city, so Chicago has been a great fit for me. Also, my partner is an immigrant and Chicago has great amenities and community that connect him to his home country. We love it here.

Last edited by thefallensrvnge; 06-21-2022 at 10:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City