Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 03:24 PM

14,169 posts, read 9,064,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
I am from the Kansas suburbs of Kansas City. The exurb I am from I would never move to in a million years. It is awful. I would, however, consider moving to an inner suburb like Mission, KS or one of the nice neighborhoods in the city like Waldo or a college town like Lawrence. Most of the metro, however, is very unappealing to me.
Midwestern college towns in general are cool, and Lawrence is no exception. I'd say that of the schools in the former Big Eight Conference (Mizzou bolted for the SEC and I believe Nebraska is in the Big Ten now), only Lincoln (Nebraska) and Boulder (Colorado) topped Lawrence for coolness.

—MSE, son of a Jayhawk mom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2021, 01:42 PM

744 posts, read 775,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Midwestern college towns in general are cool, and Lawrence is no exception. I'd say that of the schools in the former Big Eight Conference (Mizzou bolted for the SEC and I believe Nebraska is in the Big Ten now), only Lincoln (Nebraska) and Boulder (Colorado) topped Lawrence for coolness.

—MSE, son of a Jayhawk mom
Agreed. I am a Jayhawk myself so I am heavily biased towards Lawrence. I would only concede Boulder is cooler but, again, I am not an unbiased judge. I love college towns and have used KU sports as a reason to visit many of them. Another Midwest college town I am a fan of is Iowa City. I love the "oasis" feeling of a good college town. I don't think college towns that are also quasi-big cities provide the same experience. To me Lincoln feels more like a small city being the state capital. I would compare it to Des Moines (Drake), Omaha (Creighton), or even Madison (U of Wisconsin).

You might be interested to hear that I just visited KC and Lawrence last month and things were looking good. In KC I enjoyed riding the streetcar between the river market and Union Station. The crossroads area in particular seemed to be developing very fast. We even spent some time in the east bottoms which is (slowly) starting to turn around.

Old 11-16-2021, 01:49 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,579,676 times
Back to Cleveland? Probably not. I was there birth-18, then 22-29. Had my fill.

Old 11-21-2021, 01:41 AM

780 posts, read 1,343,956 times
I grew up in a town in SW Wyoming that is about 3 hrs east of Salt Lake City, UT. I lived there from birth, until just before I turned 25 yrs old.

Very rural area ( still, ) and the air is usually clean, the traffic is non-existent, but too many ignorant folks living there now, so no, I would never live there again.

Old 11-21-2021, 06:25 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
I lived “away” for my adult life from age 22 when I graduated from college to my early 50s. For a good slice of that, I had a sailboat on a mooring in the harbor and a yacht club membership so I never fully left. I bought a summer house at age 51 and telecommuted from it the warm 6 months for a decade. We’re now here full time. I bought a share in the private beach I grew up with. I changed from sail to power recently and my boat is in a slip 0.7 miles from my house. I sold the Vermont ski place and bought one at Beaver Creek so I’m still gone for a chunk of the year. When skiing ends, we’re talking about 3 months in Southern Europe during the winter. Portugal or somewhere on the Med.

Old 11-21-2021, 07:42 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
Hometown is St Louis.

Yes I did. When I left in 1993 I said I would never relocate back. After living in North Carolina Tennessee and Illinois and outgrowing my old demographic, I am happy to be back in my hometown. It checks all of the boxes for walkability, useful transit and other values I have. Unfortunately, when I run into people from St. Louis with the never left the block Louisiana. (Aka St Louis syndrome) I get away from them as fast as possible. With the being written, I generally hangout with transplants and boomerang St. Louisans.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 11-21-2021 at 07:51 AM..

Old 11-21-2021, 01:02 PM

842 posts, read 825,932 times
I mostly grew up in Memphis but have lived in the Birmingham, AL area for most of my adult life. I would not move back to Memphis over Birmingham. I just like the physical setting of Birmingham much better and also appreciate the city's central location in the Southeast. Easy drives to mountains, Atlanta, New Orleans, the beaches, etc. Memphis has a bigger feel to it, no doubt because the urban population is higher, and the downtown setting on the river is nice. But Birmingham wins out for me and what I personally favor.

Old 11-22-2021, 07:58 AM

210 posts, read 199,255 times
So I grew up in Winston Salem, NC. I would move back if I had to but I'd be very indifferent about it.

Old 11-22-2021, 10:02 AM

1,098 posts, read 901,735 times
The suburbs of Dayton, Ohio.

If I could find employment there, probably. I loved being close to multiple forested trailheads. Great bike trails. I didn’t get out a ton as a kid growing up there, but I feel like there’s enough to do if you look for it. I actually like Ohio weather - it keeps things interesting. Close to a lot of medium sized cities. Close enough to Chicago for a weekend trip. Very close to Kings Island amusement park. I can think of places that would be worse.

Old 11-22-2021, 04:30 PM

3 posts, read 1,829 times
I grew up in the Suburbs of Metro Detroit.

I hate suburbs, so no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City