Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2020, 07:35 PM

8,605 posts, read 10,137,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
A quick peruse and I can see some out dated things.

Boston has Giorgio Armani, Moncler, Warby Parker, Tod’s, Theory, Versace and Yves St Laurent now. Rolex is opening next month.

Wilkes Bashford and Henri Bend no longer exist.

If VOD Dallas is in here then Riccardi and Alan Bilzerian for Boston should be on there.
It is outdated. I found some missing as well in Phoenix (Scottsdale):

Gucci
Montblanc
Saint Laurent
Versace
Warby Parker (2 - Fashion Square and Scottsdale Quarter)

Under construction in The Palmeraie - including Hermes, Saint Laurent, John Varvatos, Fendi Private Residences
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2020, 08:07 PM

1,393 posts, read 858,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
How would you rank the cities with the best high end shopping? My take.

1. NYC - No question here. They're home to the flagship of just about all big brands.

2. LA - Second only to NYC. Destinations like Beverly Hills and South Coast Plaza.

3. Miami
4. Vegas - These two are obvious after NYC and LA.

5. Chicago - Has been quiet as of late in attracting new brands, but it's history makes it just round the top 5

6-8 - Houston, Dallas, San Francisco - Close call between there, can make the case for either. All have destinations and carry most of the boutiques you'll find. Houston and Dallas aren't particularly known for being shopping destinations, but both are severely underrated shopping cities with most of the boutiques you'll find there.

9-11. Boston, Philadelphia, Atlanta - One would think of Boston being higher here, but they lack so many brands as compared all the cities listed above. My theory is being so close to NYC, and the shopping capital of the world. Still, enough going to be top 10.

Honorable mention: Aspen. For a small town that relies fully on tourism, their high end shopping scene has a lot to say.

Note: These are shopping cities, not fashion impact. The terms seem to be confused often. Atlanta would be much higher here, were that what was being ranked.
I don’t shop any of these but out of curiosity which brands is Boston missing that Houston, Dallas have ?

Old 12-03-2020, 01:21 AM

9,847 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
I don’t shop any of these but out of curiosity which brands is Boston missing that Houston, Dallas have ?
Prada (Houston only), Dolce & Gabbana, Kiton (Houston only), Breitling (Houston only), Tom Ford, Alexander McQueen (Dallas only), Balenciaga, Canali,

Just naming some. But it’s a lot. Where I didn’t specify, both Houston and Dallas have a location.

Old 12-03-2020, 02:34 AM

955 posts, read 609,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
FYI Guys, a thread was posted on this very topic just 4 years ago. Now this is 4 years back so obviously things have changed for everywhere, but it should provide the OP some perspective. Kudos to TrafalgarLaw for all of this leg work, link to thread is at the bottom.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-presence.html
Here's the top 15 from that list:

135 New York
124 Los Angeles
108 Miami
107 San Francisco
102 Dallas
89 Las Vegas
86 Chicago
78 Houston
71 Atlanta
71 Washington D.C
65 Boston
54 Honolulu
41 Philadelphia
35 Seattle
34 Phoenix

Frankly though I find the selection of stores very weird.

Taschen is a book store, I don't know why it's on the list.

And it seems like quite a Dallas-focused list - VOD is a minor boutique, and same with Gregory's which is a local Dallas shop that looks like it sells tracksuits and bedazzeled tees for Pittbull. Aftershock London I can't even find any stores in the UK, only 1 store in Egypt and 1 in Dallas and it doesn't exactly look like it qualifies as "luxury."

Acote in SF is so minor it doesn't even have offline shops in its home country, and SF's Arthur Berens is a family run shoe store who doesn't even have a website.

If we're accepting relatively obscure local boutiques that sell items in the $100-200 price range then I think we're missing a lot of places for a lot of cities.

Old 12-03-2020, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post

135 New York
124 Los Angeles
108 Miami
107 San Francisco
102 Dallas
89 Las Vegas
86 Chicago
78 Houston
71 Atlanta
71 Washington D.C
65 Boston
54 Honolulu
41 Philadelphia
35 Seattle
34 Phoenix

And it seems like quite a Dallas-focused list - VOD is a minor boutique, and same with Gregory's which is a local Dallas shop that looks like it sells tracksuits and bedazzeled tees for Pittbull. Aftershock London I can't even find any stores in the UK, only 1 store in Egypt and 1 in Dallas and it doesn't exactly look like it qualifies as "luxury."

Acote in SF is so minor it doesn't even have offline shops in its home country, and SF's Arthur Berens is a family run shoe store who doesn't even have a website.

If we're accepting relatively obscure local boutiques that sell items in the $100-200 price range then I think we're missing a lot of places for a lot of cities.
That list is extremely outdated. Countless opens and closings since then.

Last edited by JMT; 12-03-2020 at 02:05 PM..

Old 12-03-2020, 05:00 AM

Quote:
That list is extremely outdated. Countless opens and closings since then.
I mean, it's 4 years old. Taschen was a bookstore 4 years ago, and all those random boutiques selling bedazzled tracksuits were still random boutiques selling bedazzled tracksuits 4 years ago.

Let's get an updated list @TrafalgarLaw.

Last edited by JMT; 12-03-2020 at 02:05 PM..

Old 12-03-2020, 05:46 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post

135 New York
124 Los Angeles
108 Miami
107 San Francisco
102 Dallas
89 Las Vegas
86 Chicago
78 Houston
71 Atlanta
71 Washington D.C
65 Boston
54 Honolulu
41 Philadelphia
35 Seattle
34 Phoenix

Even when he made that OP in the original thread he stated it might not be wholly updated or 100% accurate to date back then, and asked for input to provide corrections.

I think overall it gets the tiers right more or less with an obvious first retail tier of NYC/LA, the next tier being Miami, SF, Dallas, and a still strong yet muddled tier after that which could go any way of some variation of Las Vegas, Chicago, Houston, DC, Atlanta, Boston.

Old 12-03-2020, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Even when he made that OP in the original thread he stated it might not be wholly updated or 100% accurate to date back then, and asked for input to provide corrections.

I think overall it gets the tiers right more or less with an obvious first retail tier of NYC/LA, the next tier being Miami, SF, Dallas, and a still strong yet muddled tier after that which could go any way of some variation of Las Vegas, Chicago, Houston, DC, Atlanta, Boston.
We can probably minus about 10 from both SF and Dallas since the maker of that list from Dallas and loves SF.

So SF/Chicago/Dallas/Las Vegas would be one tier.

Old 12-03-2020, 06:23 AM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Prada (Houston only), Dolce & Gabbana, Kiton (Houston only), Breitling (Houston only), Tom Ford, Alexander McQueen (Dallas only), Balenciaga, Canali,

Just naming some. But it’s a lot. Where I didn’t specify, both Houston and Dallas have a location.
Let that out dated list there are a lot that Boston has that Houston Doesn’t. You can see it on the list clear as say. In that respect it’s a wash.

Dolce and Gabanna only very recently closed in Boston which (per Google) seems to be the result of a poorly run store. It had 2.8 stars.

Old 12-03-2020, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Let that out dated list there are a lot that Boston has that Houston Doesn’t. You can see it on the list clear as say. In that respect it’s a wash.

Dolce and Gabanna only very recently closed in Boston which (per Google) seems to be the result of a poorly run store. It had 2.8 stars.
I did not use the list as the source. Never did. Those brands specifically there are truer. And ok like which brand? I’m not saying Boston doesn’t, have any not found in Texas, just saying it’s less than other way around.

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 12-03-2020 at 06:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City