Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which is more desirable?
LA 104 72.73%
Chicago 39 27.27%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 07:43 AM

474 posts, read 537,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Fair post.

I get what you mean by "small town" Main street (this naming is quite literal in some suburbs). To be fair, a lot of Chicago suburbs were at first their own smaller cities before being absorbed into suburbia. Aurora and Joliet are good examples of this. However, I wouldn't say Naperville's walkable area has that typical small town Main street feel. When I was walking around Downtown Naperville back in March just before the pandemic shutdown, it felt like I was walking in a central city or one of Chicago's busier streets in a trendier neighborhood. There was a decent amount of pedestrian traffic. It's funny, because if you ever look at Downtown Naperville on aerial streetview it's not that big, rather it doesn't stand out from any other nearby suburb that happens to be much smaller than it is. (Maybe an effect of it once being a <50,000 pop city not too long ago). I'm not quite ready to nominate Naperville as a candidate for Chicago's "Second City", like one thread in a sub-forum once hyped, but I can definitely see it being a major gravitational pull within the far /Dupage County west suburbs at the very least.
Re: Naperville that’s interesting, I hadn’t really thought about it that way. Maybe I’m a little jaded because of the amount of times I’ve been there, haha. Although come to think of it, I do get some Downtown Naperville vibes walking down Clark Street in Andersonville. AFAIK both neighborhoods top out at 4 stories, although Clark Street on a busy summer day is probably a little more vibrant than Naperville. Naperville has a big high school demographic, but Clark Street has more 20-somethings. I see lots of couples pushing strollers in both.

Somehow Aurora completely slipped my mind, even though I’m familiar with that area. You’re right about it being its own city before being absorbed into the rest of Chicagoland. I do think Aurora suffers from a somewhat unfortunate reputation vis-a-vis its peers, but seems like their downtown was revitalizing these past few years.

Old 10-24-2020, 10:16 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,925,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjohnyang View Post
Re: Naperville that’s interesting, I hadn’t really thought about it that way. Maybe I’m a little jaded because of the amount of times I’ve been there, haha. Although come to think of it, I do get some Downtown Naperville vibes walking down Clark Street in Andersonville. AFAIK both neighborhoods top out at 4 stories, although Clark Street on a busy summer day is probably a little more vibrant than Naperville. Naperville has a big high school demographic, but Clark Street has more 20-somethings. I see lots of couples pushing strollers in both.

Somehow Aurora completely slipped my mind, even though I’m familiar with that area. You’re right about it being its own city before being absorbed into the rest of Chicagoland. I do think Aurora suffers from a somewhat unfortunate reputation vis-a-vis its peers, but seems like their downtown was revitalizing these past few years.
Aurora might be larger, but it's just not a good city. Naperville...a very good city.

Old 10-24-2020, 10:18 AM

7,492 posts, read 6,696,080 times
Late to the game but if you are not going to factor in COL are you also not going to factor in weather? Seems like an imperfect question from the start.

Old 10-24-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Late to the game but if you are not going to factor in COL are you also not going to factor in weather? Seems like an imperfect question from the start.
Many major cities in the world, have a winter. London, NYC, Paris, Toronto, and many cities in Europe. Chicago certainly isn't the only major city to have winter.

Old 10-24-2020, 10:30 AM

7,492 posts, read 6,696,080 times
True, but LA sells itself on weather and a number of people do relocate with weather/climate a high priority for them. Not sure how you can factor out COL and other unintended consequences, such as homelessness—kinda like an “if my aunt had balls” scenario by ignoring it. I like both cities but for different reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Many major cities in the world, have a winter. London, NYC, Paris, Toronto, and many cities in Europe. Chicago certainly isn't the only major city to have winter.

Old 10-24-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
True, but LA sells itself on weather and a number of people do relocate with weather/climate a high priority for them.
And, those are the people who move there. Obviously, looking at the population of the cities I listed, it's not priority for all.

Old 10-24-2020, 11:16 AM

5,030 posts, read 6,048,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
There's a huge difference between winter in Chicago and winter in London/Paris. Winter in London/Paris is closer to winter in Nashville or Charlotte, which are cities that people in Chicago move to so that they can get away from Chicago winter. Winter in Chicago is certainly tougher than winter in most major cities around the world.

Old 10-24-2020, 11:23 AM

37,426 posts, read 39,884,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
There's a huge difference between winter in Chicago and winter in London/Paris. Winter in London/Paris is closer to winter in Nashville or Charlotte, which are cities that people in Chicago move to so that they can get away from Chicago winter. Winter in Chicago is certainly tougher than winter in most major cities around the world.
Western Europe seems to be more like the Pacific Northwest in terms of climate than the upland South.

You're right there are more major cities with more moderate winters than Chicago than there are with similar or worse. Chicago's winters aren't too far off from that of New England and other Great Lakes cities, large chunks of Eastern Europe, and the northern parts of East Asia. There's maybe dozens of sizable metropolitan areas (especially in China) that have about as bad winters and some that have it notably worse like Montreal, Moscow, and Minneapolis.

Old 10-24-2020, 11:26 AM

5,030 posts, read 6,048,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'd say more like the Pacific Northwest in terms of climate than the upland South.
True, but I was making a relative point, not trying to match the closest climate.

Old 10-24-2020, 11:39 AM

https://www.google.com/search?q=nyc+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=chic...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Chicago and NYC have very similar average temps. Differences, are pretty inconsequential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City