Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which is more desirable?
LA 104 72.73%
Chicago 39 27.27%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 11:02 AM

553 posts, read 411,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
This is hard. LA wind hands down when it comes to weather and culture/nightlife.
How exactly does L.A. win hands down in culture? That is so subjective that it can't possibly be quantifiable. It's completely down to preference. Also what nightlife staple does L.A. provide that Chicago doesn't?

Old 11-01-2020, 11:54 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,997,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
How exactly does L.A. win hands down in culture? That is so subjective that it can't possibly be quantifiable. It's completely down to preference. Also what nightlife staple does L.A. provide that Chicago doesn't?
I agree. It's subjective and I don't know who wins in traditional culture or if one wins hands down because I don't know much about Chicago.

I do think that where LA really excels is in live performances. People move here to be discovered and you can see local performances for cheap where the performers are really good. It reminds me of NYC in that regard. I can't say that it's any better than chicago, but I suspect that it is given how much of a destination LA is for creatives. It's one thing that I really appreciate about living here.

Old 11-01-2020, 02:47 PM

553 posts, read 411,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I agree. It's subjective and I don't know who wins in traditional culture or if one wins hands down because I don't know much about Chicago.

I do think that where LA really excels is in live performances. People move here to be discovered and you can see local performances for cheap where the performers are really good. It reminds me of NYC in that regard. I can't say that it's any better than chicago, but I suspect that it is given how much of a destination LA is for creatives. It's one thing that I really appreciate about living here.
I agree that as far as people waiting to be discovered Chicago is behind L.A. but Chicago is at the very top for live performance across disciplines in it's own right.

Chicago has a massive live theater scene probably second only to NY. Five Chicago companies have won the Regional Tony award, two more than any other city in history and only one Los Angeles company has ever won. There is a prolific store-front neighborhood theater scene as well.

Second City is the vanguard of sketch/improv comedy where countless celebrities and legendary actors/comedians have studied. The Lyric Opera, Joffrey Ballet and Chicago Symphony Orchestra are all prestigious instituitions that are magnets for top talent from around the world.

Chicago has nationally known Rock, Jazz and Blues venues as well as more underground establishments for any genre you could imagine.

Chicago and Atlanta have by far the most influential rap scenes over the last decade. With so many Chicago producers working with top rappers, Lyrical Lemonade being the gold standard for video production and the constant flow of rising Chicago rappers collaborating with outside artists, Chicago has become a destination city for hip-hop which it never used to be.

Old 11-01-2020, 03:41 PM

963 posts, read 574,064 times
I voted for LA. The weather makes it a much easier place to live, and the beaches beat anything Chicago has.

Old 11-01-2020, 08:33 PM

1,803 posts, read 939,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
I voted for LA. The weather makes it a much easier place to live, and the beaches beat anything Chicago has.
Not saying LA metro overall does not have a huge beach scene even in Poo-culture in in early 60s Beach music that was a thing.

Just give me a change to give a city nearly a 1000-miles from the ocean points for having beaches right in its core and some all along its nearly 30-miles of a border on Lake Michigan.

All I need is vidios of Beaches and even Concrete portions utilized much more this hear with beaches closed due to Covid.

Showing Chicago beaches in May before any would be open. Pristine coming
off a Real Winter and Record high Lake Michigan water levels that shrunk them.

May 29th and 30th 2020 Drone footage of Chicago beaches. Sadly the record high Great Lakes
waters shrinks the beaches. 2013 was a low and previous high was in the year 1986. The Great Lakes
go in cycles of highs. normals and lows. Sadly, due to Covid...... beaches officially never opened in 2020.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmDdo1aeKIE&t=17s

This a 93 degree day along Chicago's lakefront not a beach being open.
Here by the inlet to Belmont Harbor and yachts in and out and of course. Since
the beaches the city left closed. People use the concrete portionsas as if a beach and
WHAT A VIEW OF THE SKYLINE A COUPLE MILES SOUTH AND BLUE WATERS WITH YACHTS.

From late July 2020 and perfect beach day and water probably cool but not ice.
OF COURSE PEOPLE HAD TO IMPROVISE AS SANDY BEACHES WERE CLOSED.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crv2O-2fzy0&t=13s

**** Sorry, I could not resist someone saying despite any negatives .....
That La has the beaches and Chicago needs to just... step wayyyy back. * Just note
that Chicago's beaches remained closed this year. Other portions were used as a beach then
I AM SURE THIS CITY HAVING LA WEATHER WOULD BE MUCH MORE EVEN in this era Real Winters are hated.

Last edited by NoHyping; 11-01-2020 at 08:44 PM..

Old 11-02-2020, 09:46 AM

37,236 posts, read 39,509,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
I agree that as far as people waiting to be discovered Chicago is behind L.A. but Chicago is at the very top for live performance across disciplines in it's own right.

Chicago has a massive live theater scene probably second only to NY. Five Chicago companies have won the Regional Tony award, two more than any other city in history and only one Los Angeles company has ever won. There is a prolific store-front neighborhood theater scene as well.

Second City is the vanguard of sketch/improv comedy where countless celebrities and legendary actors/comedians have studied. The Lyric Opera, Joffrey Ballet and Chicago Symphony Orchestra are all prestigious instituitions that are magnets for top talent from around the world.

Chicago has nationally known Rock, Jazz and Blues venues as well as more underground establishments for any genre you could imagine.

Chicago and Atlanta have by far the most influential rap scenes over the last decade. With so many Chicago producers working with top rappers, Lyrical Lemonade being the gold standard for video production and the constant flow of rising Chicago rappers collaborating with outside artists, Chicago has become a destination city for hip-hop which it never used to be.
I think Chicago really needs is to be a strong media production hub. There was Oprah, but she's not there anymore. It would be fantastic if UIC had a strong media production program as part of jumpstarting things a bit more.

Old 11-02-2020, 09:47 AM

37,236 posts, read 39,509,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
Not saying it'll be better to you, but Chicago does have fantastic beaches that the city should push more as an attraction to visitors.

Old 11-02-2020, 03:48 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,582,635 times
People already voted on this one with their feet. The easy answer is Los Angeles although I would never want to live there.

Old 11-02-2020, 04:42 PM

515 posts, read 1,060,624 times
LA, just for the weather and the scenery..if you can afford it.

Old 11-02-2020, 07:17 PM

955 posts, read 614,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
People already voted on this one with their feet. The easy answer is Los Angeles although I would never want to live there.
Isn't LA County losing people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.