Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2020, 11:03 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
It is interesting how people who don't attend certain colleges spend time marketing for them. What's the payoff for you. They have their own paid marketing team and most people are aware of the US news rankings which you cite without referencing. You should give them credit for their work.

You can't explain how G Tech is a superior school or why your opinion on it matters or what this has to do with the topic.

I was talking about the towns of Auburn and CLemson and you pop up to do free marketing for G Tech. I don't think Atlanta and Clemson are similar so to say Clemson is a poor man's version of Atlanta makes no sense. They are the perfect alternatives to each other.

For me, being next to beautiful lakes and the Blue Ridge isn't the middle of nowhere. I don't get excited about shopping centers and vertical office buildings and congested interstates.
Cute story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 01:54 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Texas University Austin Texas is Oklahoma most premier University ( you're killing me)
So sorry for my response I was distracted by family membesr and thought you were talking about the University of Texas instead of the University of Tulsa.... which is a elite university in the United States especially in the department of Petroleum Engineering.....

Old 02-02-2020, 02:43 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,166,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Birmingham's unemployment rate is nearly double that of Huntsville.

Huntsville's per capita income is significantly higher than Birmingham's. Huntsville's family median income is nearly double that of Birmingham.

Huntsville has nearly the exact percentage of healthcare practitioners and technology employees as Birmingham (between 6 and 7 percent for both cities).

For more interesting stats comparing the two cities:
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Lol....

Old 03-05-2020, 09:28 AM

613 posts, read 327,522 times
Hoboken - poor man's Brooklyn
Downtown Jersey City - poor man's Manhattan

Old 03-05-2020, 09:52 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,442,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
This thread is kind of a "polite" way of bashing smaller cities...calling them "poor", compared to any larger city of the poster's choice. Actually, it isn't polite, at all. It's a way to bash other cities, blatantly.
Exactly. Sometimes I feel here on C-D, other Internet sites and even talking to some people face-to-face; it seems like most people want cities to be carbon copies of each other.

Old 03-05-2020, 11:43 AM

4,527 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
they do have some interesting parelles. Downtowns are same size , but Pittsburgh is a bit more vertical and dense. Cincy has the OTR and Pgh has the Strip. Across rivers, Cincy has Covington and Newport, Pittsburgh has its Noth Side. As for nightlife though, Cincy has no comparion to Pittsburghs south side flats. or Lawrecevillle As for college districts, Cincy's area is decent. But no match for Oakland in Pgh, which is much more urban and vibrant. Other areas umm, lets say Mt Adams in Cincy. Equivalent to Mt Washington in Pgh. or north side in Cincy, the better version is Bloomfield in Pittsburgh, Hyde Park , Cincy is a much less dense version of Pittsburghs Squirrel Hill
I don't agree with this. I think you're biases are slipping through...

I visited Cincinnati on a business trip for 2 days last spring, and was thoroughly impressed. OTR and the Strip aren't even comparable. The Strip is a cool, warehouse-y, open market kind of area that has a scrubby, rundown charm. OTR is a much more trendy, hip and sophisticated/artsy kind of district with beautiful old rowhouses that have been lovingly restored and supplemented by tasteful infill -- a lot of mixed use apartments-over-retail. The Strip is off to the side of Pittsburgh -- segregated from downtown and other close-in areas; it has a lot of bars and open air food vendors. OTR has sophisticated shops, restaurants and coffee bars and is tightly integrated into Cincy's neighorhood fabric; it's really a downtown 'shoulder' neighborhood. I'm not knocking the Strip -- it has it's own unique charms -- but it is NOT similar to OTR.

Cincy's Findlay Market, which is at the edge of OTR, is the closest (rough) comparison I have to the Strip District. But even here, Findlay Market, whose main market building is around 150 years old and painted in bright, lively colors, has considerably more charm than any building I've seen along the Strip.

While Mt. Washington (esp along Grandview) is nice, it doesn't match thoroughly charming Mt. Adams, which to me is like a cross between DC's Georgetown and Philadelphia's Manayunk (with the steep hills). Here again, Mt. Adams has classiness that somewhat exceeds Mt. Washington -- at least in my opinion. Grandview Avenue is very interesting. I love taking the ancient Inclines up/down there and, true to the street's names, it has spectacular of the Golden Triangle surrounded by the rivers.

But I can't quite put my finger on it: there just seems to be a somewhat seedy/rundown feel to Grandview and some other Pittsburgh hot areas, including East Liberty... This is not universal, however, because I didn't feel this along Walnut Street in Shadyside, or in Squirrel Hill, either... But in many areas, it's there.

And while my gut tells me that, of the 2 main university districts, Pittsburgh's Oakland is stronger esp with it's intense, old 'downtown' along Forbes Ave. But Clifton Hts/University of Cincinnati is certainly rapidly closing the gap. Growth along UC's southern and flanks, along such streets as McMillan and Short Vine. Consider these UC/Clifton Heights views:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1282...8i8192!5m1!1e2

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1306...8i8192!5m1!1e2

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1310...8i8192!5m1!1e2

Then there's other cool old Cincy retail districts, like Ludlow Ave and Hyde Park -- there are several others I'm not even naming.

Cincy is not perfect -- what city is? -- it's downtown was a little on the dead -- but this is common among medium-sized cities like Cleveland, Baltimore, St. Louis and others... I'll admit, though, the last time I was in Pittsburgh, it's downtown bustled by day but was very quiet, by night. I think downtown Pittsburgh is benefited by the fact that it managed to hold onto its several Fortune 500 headquarters like Westinghouse, US Steel and PPG. And the Golden Triangle also benefits because it is so small and tight (geographically restricted) with narrow streets. The feeling of tall buildings encroaching upon the curb and seemingly on top of you adds to the visual excitement.

Last edited by TheProf; 03-05-2020 at 11:51 AM..

Old 03-05-2020, 01:53 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Philadelphia is a poor man's New York.
Baltimore is a poor man's Philadelphia.
Wilmington (DE) is a poor man's Baltimore.

Trenton is a poor man's Newark.

Binghamton is a poor man's Wilkes-Barre.

Providence is a poor man's Boston.
Fall River is a poor man's Providence.

Akron is a poor man's Cleveland
Youngstown is a poor man's Akron.

Dayton is a poor man's Columbus.

Louisville is a poor man's Cincinnati.
Evansville is a poor man's Louisville.
Paducah is a poor man's Evansville.

Fort Wayne is a poor man's Indianapolis.

Omaha is a poor man's Kansas City.

Little Rock is a poor man's Memphis.

Mobile is a poor man's New Orleans.

Wichita is a poor man's Oklahoma City.

Old 03-05-2020, 01:58 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Daytona Beach is a poor mans Myrtle Beach.

Old 03-05-2020, 02:11 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Trenton is a poor man's Newark.
I'd probably say Camden is a poor man's Newark but I agree with the others that I'm familiar with.

Old 03-05-2020, 02:32 PM

613 posts, read 327,522 times
Rockford is a poor man's Chicago, So is Milwaukee.

Flint is the poor man's Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City