Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2020, 03:22 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
What on earth
Tech industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 05:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalumni01 View Post
And Birmingham has a better job market for healthcare/research, bio-science, and construction engineering people than Huntsville.
Birmingham's unemployment rate is nearly double that of Huntsville.

Huntsville's per capita income is significantly higher than Birmingham's. Huntsville's family median income is nearly double that of Birmingham.

Huntsville has nearly the exact percentage of healthcare practitioners and technology employees as Birmingham (between 6 and 7 percent for both cities).

For more interesting stats comparing the two cities:
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 01-29-2020 at 12:30 AM..

Old 01-23-2020, 09:32 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
And Clemson is a poor man's Georgia Tech.
Clemson is nicer and safer than Gtech.

It is nestled in the foothills of the blue ridge mountains next to a lake. It is like a resort

Gtech is next to an interstate.

My Auburn comment was inside joke among Clemson and Auburn grads

Clemson and Auburn don't look similar in my view

Old 01-23-2020, 12:03 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Memphis= Poor man's St. Louis (unless if you're an NBA fan)
This is actually one of the worst comparisons in the whole thread. You act like St. Louis is just one of the most poppin', most progressive, fastest growing, most white collar cities in America right now or something, to be ranking Memphis so far below it.

Memphis and St. Louis are actually VERY similar: Both are historic Mississippi River cities whose best days are behind them and that both get criticized for pretty much the same reasons: high crime rates, bad schools, high poverty, lagging economies full of low wage blue collar jobs, large black populations (yeah, I said it), minimal growth (basically, not a lot of gentrification going on), etc.

Old 01-23-2020, 12:13 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Memphis - poor man's Nashville
REALLY, dude?!? As much as YOU boost Memphis all over City-Data?!? I can't BELIEVE you would post some crap like that. I bet you won't post it over on the Memphis Forum, alongside all those Chamber of Commerce-sounding posts you always flood the forum with...

Old 01-23-2020, 12:58 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Clemson is nicer and safer than Gtech.

It is nestled in the foothills of the blue ridge mountains next to a lake. It is like a resort

Gtech is next to an interstate.

My Auburn comment was inside joke among Clemson and Auburn grads

Clemson and Auburn don't look similar in my view

Only portions of it are next to the Freeway, like the stadium, arena, etc. The majority is a beautiful historic campus beneath a gorgeous tree canopy, directly connected to the heart of booming, job-filled Midtown. And of course Clemson has lower crime, it's a village in the middle of nowhere. Tech is also the superior school, but whatever.

Old 01-23-2020, 01:13 PM

1,351 posts, read 896,629 times
Des Moines is a poor man's Kansas City

Old 01-31-2020, 07:16 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times
Quote:
Only portions of it are next to the Freeway, like the stadium, arena, etc. The majority is a beautiful historic campus beneath a gorgeous tree canopy, directly connected to the heart of booming, job-filled Midtown. And of course Clemson has lower crime, it's a village in the middle of nowhere. Tech is also the superior school, but whatever.
It is interesting how people who don't attend certain colleges spend time marketing for them. What's the payoff for you. They have their own paid marketing team and most people are aware of the US news rankings which you cite without referencing. You should give them credit for their work.

You can't explain how G Tech is a superior school or why your opinion on it matters or what this has to do with the topic.

I was talking about the towns of Auburn and CLemson and you pop up to do free marketing for G Tech. I don't think Atlanta and Clemson are similar so to say Clemson is a poor man's version of Atlanta makes no sense. They are the perfect alternatives to each other.

For me, being next to beautiful lakes and the Blue Ridge isn't the middle of nowhere. I don't get excited about shopping centers and vertical office buildings and congested interstates.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 01-31-2020 at 07:28 PM..

Old 01-31-2020, 08:50 PM

4,531 posts, read 5,103,665 times
Quote:
I believe he's referring to the University of Tulsa. It's a very up and coming private Liberal Arts school.
Correctamundo!

Old 01-31-2020, 10:49 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,773,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Cincinnati is a poor man's Pittsburgh.

they do have some interesting parelles. Downtowns are same size , but Pittsburgh is a bit more vertical and dense. Cincy has the OTR and Pgh has the Strip. Across rivers, Cincy has Covington and Newport, Pittsburgh has its Noth Side. As for nightlife though, Cincy has no comparion to Pittsburghs south side flats. or Lawrecevillle As for college districts, Cincy's area is decent. But no match for Oakland in Pgh, which is much more urban and vibrant. Other areas umm, lets say Mt Adams in Cincy. Equivalent to Mt Washington in Pgh. or north side in Cincy, the better version is Bloomfield in Pittsburgh, Hyde Park , Cincy is a much less dense version of Pittsburghs Squirrel Hill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City