Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 01:04 PM

994 posts, read 501,782 times

Advertisements

It shouldn't necessarily be viewed as conservative vs liberal.

Also, the context is urban area, not metro. That said, not sure how this source defined "urban area."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 01:12 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
Not sure why you would be shocked that Dallas is less liberal than Houston, especially since it's the whole Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex included
It's not. I see a few Bay Area, LA, and Chicago suburbs listed independently.

Old 05-30-2019, 01:14 PM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
See and thats the flip side. Austin is the most liberal by the way Caucasians view the term. But Austin is certainly not near the most racially progressive city in Texas. That's what makes it hard to measure.
Can you elaborate a bit more? I found Austin to be very progressive. If you're referring to demographics, I mean what can you do? Austin has a ton of liberal voters, yet is the whitest of the major cities. Austin is also the wealthiest per capita. Pretty interesting stuff.

Old 05-30-2019, 01:25 PM

492 posts, read 535,479 times
Hmm.. So Houston and Dallas are a lot more conservative than I thought..

I thought Atlanta city proper is close to 1/3rd GOPish and I am a little close..

Old 05-30-2019, 01:32 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
See and thats the flip side. Austin is the most liberal by the way Caucasians view the term. But Austin is certainly not near the most racially progressive city in Texas. That's what makes it hard to measure.
I understand what you mean. Manufactured diversity shouldn't be confused with progressivity. Some cities (Not implying Austin) have thrived on marketing the idea of being progressive, but have continued to alienate minorities through one-demographic gentrification, removing culturally relevant establishments in place of expensive housing, and demonizing individuals (often conservative or blue collar types) who no longer fit the image the city wants to represent. Social progressivity, while subjective, means very little just by seeing people of different races in establishments but they are only interacting within their own group.

Old 05-30-2019, 01:43 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I knew Madison was liberal, but not that liberal, same with AA.

1. SF
2. San Jose
3. DC
4.LA
5. Seattle
6. Chicago
7. Portland
8. Boston
9. Philly
10.Austin
Not surprised by the city that has an annual Naked Run and is relatively lax about some laws(i.e.-small fine for marijuana possession going back decades).

Old 05-30-2019, 01:46 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post

Also, the context is urban area, not metro. That said, not sure how this source defined "urban area."
Good point and even the Census definition of Urban Area cuts out some areas that people in that area would likely include in that Urban Area, but aren't within the Census definition.

I'm assuming that they used this information: https://www2.census.gov/geo/maps/dc1...AUC_RefMap/ua/

https://www.census.gov/geographies/r...ban-areas.html

Old 05-30-2019, 01:51 PM

3,159 posts, read 2,209,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Can you elaborate a bit more? I found Austin to be very progressive. If you're referring to demographics, I mean what can you do? Austin has a ton of liberal voters, yet is the whitest of the major cities. Austin is also the wealthiest per capita. Pretty interesting stuff.
Austin is relatively diverse by national standards, at about 50% non-Hispanic white. It does have a lower black percentage than other cities in the South, but so do most places at a comparable longitude or further west. It certainly comes across as a progressive environment, as would be expected with a major research university, high tech industries and a history of tolerance of non-conformists of all types. Progressive locations can vary a lot in terms of their cultural balance for a wide variety of reasons.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:40 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post

It corresponds to the Census Bureau's urbanized area delineations.

Old 05-30-2019, 02:41 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAtlanta View Post
Hmm.. So Houston and Dallas are a lot more conservative than I thought..

I thought Atlanta city proper is close to 1/3rd GOPish and I am a little close..
Not it’s a lot more GOP than you thought. There’s a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City