Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2023, 05:50 AM

255 posts, read 159,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Eastern CSA’s the constituent CSA’s developed as separate cities that slowly merged into a single labor market, eg Baltimore-DC, Cleveland-Akron, Detroit-Ann Arbor, Boston-Providence. And as a result are cities with distinct cultures that people travel between.

Western CSA’s LA-Riverside, SF-SJ developed because Riverside/SJ were suburbs of the main city that became to cumbersome to commute all the way to the center city from. This developed the same local culture and is more accepted as one place.
Doesn't the western US have this too? Seattle-Tacoma, Denver-Boulder and to a lesser extent Albuquerque-Santa Fe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2023, 06:19 AM

457 posts, read 349,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonro View Post
Doesn't the western US have this too? Seattle-Tacoma, Denver-Boulder and to a lesser extent Albuquerque-Santa Fe?
Seattle and Tacoma are still in the same statistical area. Denver-Boulder absolutely. Santa Fe is 65 miles from Albuquerque which is more than enough to be two distinct statistical areas. ABQ really isn't big enough to absorb a city 65 miles away. IMO that would be the equivalent of saying Lansing or Kalamazoo is a satellite of Grand Rapids.

I can see Cleveland and Akron being two distinct cities that grew into each other. I don't necessarily agree with Detroit and Ann Arbor. Outside of the university(which actually started in Detroit) most of the tech, automotive, and other corporate investments in Ann Arbor were located there because it is a better "Detroit alternative". Similar to Oakland County. Also there is no separation between Detroit and AA's urban areas. Ann Arbor as it exists today is directly correlated with it's proximity to Detroit.

Old 01-24-2023, 06:30 AM

255 posts, read 159,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landolakes90 View Post
Seattle and Tacoma are still in the same statistical area. Denver-Boulder absolutely. Santa Fe is 65 miles from Albuquerque which is more than enough to be two distinct statistical areas. ABQ really isn't big enough to absorb a city 65 miles away. IMO that would be the equivalent of saying Lansing or Kalamazoo is a satellite of Grand Rapids.

I can see Cleveland and Akron being two distinct cities that grew into each other. I don't necessarily agree with Detroit and Ann Arbor. Outside of the university(which actually started in Detroit) most of the tech, automotive, and other corporate investments in Ann Arbor were located there because it is a better "Detroit alternative". Similar to Oakland County. Also there is no separation between Detroit and AA's urban areas. Ann Arbor as it exists today is directly correlated with it's proximity to Detroit.
Right but shouldn't Cleveland/Akron or Detroit/Ann Arbor be one as well? Referencing the post from Beantown, Seattle and Tacoma started as two principle cities and each still have its own culture that sprawl caused the two to merge together. Is it different than Celeveland/Akron? Denver/Boulder would be the western equivalent of Detroit/Ann Arbor. So is it really specific to the eastern US?

Old 01-24-2023, 07:03 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Right but shouldn't Cleveland/Akron or Detroit/Ann Arbor be one as well? Referencing the post from Beantown, Seattle and Tacoma started as two principle cities and each still have its own culture that sprawl caused the two to merge together. Is it different than Celeveland/Akron? Denver/Boulder would be the western equivalent of Detroit/Ann Arbor. So is it really specific to the eastern US?
I can offer another instance that speaks to the case of Cleveland:

Kansas City (MO-KS) and Lawrence, KS.

The latter is a little more than one-half hour west of Kansas City (driving at Kansas highway speeds) — about 40 miles from downtown to downtown.

Lawrence is home to the University of Kansas and has been since the university was established in the 1860s. Its medical school and teaching hospital, however, are in Kansas City, Kan., and have been since the hospital was built in 1905.

So there's already some built-in traffic between the two. (One of my high-school classmates lived in Lawrence.)

But the two cities' outskirts have been growing towards each other. The next time I'm Back Home, I plan on heading to Lawrence via K-10 Highway rather than the Kansas Turnpike to see what the sprawl looks like.

Because of this, however, Douglas County (Lawrence) got added to the Kansas City CSA as of the early 2010s.

I'd be curious to find out what keeps Cleveland and Akron separate, then, especially given that they are about as far apart from each other as Kansas City and Lawrence are. Or are they already in one CSA but still two MSAs? If so, then their situation is identical to the one I just described.

Washtenaw County (Ann Arbor), Mich., is already part of the Detroit MSA.

Old 01-24-2023, 07:08 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,055,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
d.

Washtenaw County is part of the Ann Arbor MSA. It is NOT counted in Detroit's MSA. It is however in Detroit's CSA. It's the same deal as Cleveland/Akron.

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...mi-metro-area/

Old 01-24-2023, 07:31 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Washtenaw County is part of the Ann Arbor MSA. It is NOT counted in Detroit's MSA. It is however in Detroit's CSA. It's the same deal as Cleveland/Akron.

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...mi-metro-area/
Mea culpa.

Then the three situations in my prior post are identical, not different.

<EmilyLittella>Nevermind.</EmilyLittella>

Old 01-24-2023, 07:31 AM

383 posts, read 512,035 times
Quote:
I can offer another instance that speaks to the case of Cleveland:

Kansas City (MO-KS) and Lawrence, KS.

The latter is a little more than one-half hour west of Kansas City (driving at Kansas highway speeds) — about 40 miles from downtown to downtown.

Lawrence is home to the University of Kansas and has been since the university was established in the 1860s. Its medical school and teaching hospital, however, are in Kansas City, Kan., and have been since the hospital was built in 1905.

So there's already some built-in traffic between the two. (One of my high-school classmates lived in Lawrence.)

But the two cities' outskirts have been growing towards each other. The next time I'm Back Home, I plan on heading to Lawrence via K-10 Highway rather than the Kansas Turnpike to see what the sprawl looks like.

Because of this, however, Douglas County (Lawrence) got added to the Kansas City CSA as of the early 2010s.

I'd be curious to find out what keeps Cleveland and Akron separate, then, especially given that they are about as far apart from each other as Kansas City and Lawrence are. Or are they already in one CSA but still two MSAs? If so, then their situation is identical to the one I just described.

As someone who lives in Ohio, I think the main issue with Akron and Cleveland is politics and pride. If I had to guess, Akron wants to maintain itself as a stand alone MSA and retain the benefits that come with that designation. In reality the same should happen for the three C's. If they could ever be combined as a designated area there may be a way to elevate them on a national level and bring Ohio up with it. Politics and pride would never let that happen but I feel it is something that should be looked into to keep Ohio moving forward into the future.

Old 01-24-2023, 09:13 AM

99 posts, read 73,217 times
Quote:

As of now they 1 CSA and two MSA's. I believe at one point they may have been one MSA for a short period of time then separated. I live in Akron and can be to downtown Cleveland in about 30-35 minutes.

Old 01-24-2023, 09:19 AM

99 posts, read 73,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusflyer View Post
As someone who lives in Ohio, I think the main issue with Akron and Cleveland is politics and pride. If I had to guess, Akron wants to maintain itself as a stand alone MSA and retain the benefits that come with that designation. In reality the same should happen for the three C's. If they could ever be combined as a designated area there may be a way to elevate them on a national level and bring Ohio up with it. Politics and pride would never let that happen but I feel it is something that should be looked into to keep Ohio moving forward into the future.
Yes, Akron wants to maintain its own identity and independence and is much more interested in pushing for a merging of MSA's with Canton. Canton is pushing for this as well.

I'm not sure what you mean by designating the Three C's as a combined area. That would impossible.

https://www.cantonchamber.org/akron-canton-metroplex

https://www.cantonrep.com/story/opin...nt/6360369001/

Old 01-24-2023, 09:56 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
The east is just more provincial than the west and cares about each local town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City