Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What region is most dominated by a single metropolitan region and what is that metropolitan region?
Northeast (New York) 39 28.68%
Midwest (Chicago) 86 63.24%
West (Los Angeles) 2 1.47%
Northeast (Washington D.C.) 1 0.74%
Midwest (Detroit) 0 0%
West (San Francisco Bay Area) 0 0%
Northeast (Boston or Philadelphia) 0 0%
Midwest (Minneapolis) 0 0%
West (Seattle) 3 2.21%
Other (state) 5 3.68%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 06:49 PM

123 posts, read 160,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
It's a running joke in Chicago that if you go bar hopping in Wrigleyville or Bucktown on a Friday night, everybody is from Michigan or Indiana or Ohio or Wisconsin or Iowa. Maybe not, say, Minnesota so much, but clearly a substantial portion of the Midwest's young professionals are gravitating toward Chicago. A few posts in this thread argue that Detroit, not Chicago, dominates Michigan -- but my wife is a Michigan State graduate from a town outside the Detroit area, and almost nobody she grew up with or went to college with ended up in Detroit. Plenty of them live in Chicago.
Because urban Detroit has been in sleep mode for the past 40 years. That's changing pretty quickly. Any young professional who moves to Chicago from Detroit almost always ends up moving back to metro Detroit to start their family in the suburbs, it's a common trend.

If Chicago disappeared one day it would probably be better for Detroit since there would be even more emphasis on revitalizing the core of Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 06:51 PM

123 posts, read 160,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
No. Just no.
How am I wrong? Philly's connectivity to New York is by far the city's greatest advantage, you put Philly all alone by itself and it would have no more significance than St. Louis.

It has the same relationship with New York that Milwaukee has with Chicago.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:08 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,709,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newengland17 View Post
How am I wrong? Philly's connectivity to New York is by far the city's greatest advantage, you put Philly all alone by itself and it would have no more significance than St. Louis.

Someone handle my light work and put this poster in his place before I do.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:30 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
In reading through threads over the months. In threads Chicago was vs. NYC, LA, SF, Seattle and others. Many times there were comments that Chicago had far less a National draw of just Young Professionals (meaning from outside its own region). Then these other cities.

Basically, Chicago draws far more from its region (the Midwest) then from the South, Northeast and especially the West. But NYC would get a - how it draws from outside its region in a much higher %. Same with those other west coast cities in new transplants. Some used it as a putdown. A less refined Midwestern crowd.

Perhaps why many voted as they did? Seeing NYC as having National draw and globally. But it has Boston draw strongly from New England and for he Mid-Atlantic states a Philadelphia to DC.

The Plains do gravitate still to Chicago. The Great Lakes it gets Michigan and Indiana. But Ohio definitely sways to the East and yes NYC. There is a desire of Ohio cities especially (call it my opinion), to see themselves more Eastern then a Plains Midwest region or a Chicago Midwestern even.

Cleveland as a -mini Chicago in one thread (a thread title) was VERY unwelcome to Clevelanders. They CLEARLY said how they RARELY look toward Chicago. Even though both are Great Lakes cites. Any other connection seemed insignificant to them at best. That thread was a couple years old too.

There seems to be big drop-off of Ohioans gravitating Midwest (my opinion). But a Large % of Midwest Plains still pull to Chicago, even from St Louis. Even from Indianapolis and Detroit I'd say? Of course all still have the Sunbelt take a good share today.

If some see it as a slight to mighty NYC? To not vote NYC dominates here. I'm sure it was not meant that way to NOT vote NYC . Because IT MUST dominate ALL -- its Region, the Nation and World. Midwestern Young Professionals are not seen near the top of regional superiority. That dominate these pofessionls moving to Chicago. Calling them more Laid-Back then Easterners especially... is a less demeaning way it gets put. LOL

Last edited by DavePa; 04-22-2017 at 07:53 PM..

Old 04-22-2017, 07:47 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Quote:

No, not at all. Philadelphia stands on its own, far more than Milwaukee does (no disrespect to that metro). Philly anchors its own region of 7 million plus, has been responsible for numerous firsts (the United States, the first zoo, the first library, the first hospital, the first business school, etc.) and is a leader in several significant fields (cable, biopharma, education, medicine, energy). It's a testament to the city's strength that it flourishes as well as it does despite its proximity to New York and Washington. I doubt the NFL Draft will ever be held in Milwaukee, much less a Papal Visit or political convention (and a political convention would be the most likely of the three). There's no comparison here, at all.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:02 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,360,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
I think the title of this thread is tricky. If it was worded which region is most influenced by or affected by, I think it would be easier to debate. NYC clearly influences and affects its region the most just by sheer size and proximity, but it doesn't dominate it. Philly, Boston and DC are all too prominent in their own right. Whereas I can see why Chicago is getting the most votes going by the usage of the word dominate, since it's far ahead of its region's lesser tier cities. Minneapolis isn't there yet, and Detroit has fallen off from its glory days.

So yea, NYC influences its region the most. There's literally nowhere you can go in the Northeast and not run into the stereotypical "ex-New Yorker", especially in bars when NYC teams are playing. Yankees fans are everywhere, Giants fans are everywhere--even the Mets and Jets have their supporters out of the Tri-State. I've seen legit arguments/borderline fights when the Eagles and Giants play. I was just in Center City Philadelphia last night, and randomly walked by a restaurant called "Slice of Brooklyn" (and I know of another called NYPD Pizza not too far away). There are places like Barcade that have branched down to Philly from NYC. While print media is dying, I can still easily grab a copy of the NY Daily News or NY Post from any Wawa here in Wilmington. I've gone to an Orioles game against the Yankees at Camden Yards and seen nearly as many Yankees fans as O's fans in the stands--and this is recent, when the Os have been the AL East's best team. New York has four of the country's top 10 busiest air routes, and none of those cities are even in the Northeast! The pull and influence within the Northeast is something that I'm not sure can be measured quite as easily, but it's definitely there.
You def have NYC colored glasses if you don't see Cubs fans dominate numerous stadiums and Chicago pizza places all over the nation( Pizzaria Uno for one); I was just in Europe and the hottest selling jersey according the the vendors is still Micheal Jordan's Bulls jersey. No one is saying NYC isn't influential, but don't use pizza and sports teams against Chicago's dominance, poor choice my man.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:32 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:

Philadelphia is still and will remain the birthplace of America, putting Milwaukee and St. Louis in the same sentence would be a mistake.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:06 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
You def have NYC colored glasses if you don't see Cubs fans dominate numerous stadiums and Chicago pizza places all over the nation( Pizzaria Uno for one); I was just in Europe and the hottest selling jersey according the the vendors is still Micheal Jordan's Bulls jersey. No one is saying NYC isn't influential, but don't use pizza and sports teams against Chicago's dominance, poor choice my man.
Uno Pizzeria is a chain (ew)--I was talking more about local establishments with direct NYC connections. But if you want to go there, ever heard of Sbarro? That has way more locations then Uno. And how many random pizza places across the nation advertise their "NY-style" pizza? Way more than Chicago style.

But that's neither here nor there. You're missing my point in that New York's regional influence comes from the sheer amount of people scattered around the Northeast from there. Sports and media influences are easily transmitted across the globe, especially in this digital age. I have friends who are randomly Raiders and Lakers fans, despite having absolutely no connections to those places. But culinary and cultural things are harder to transmit over distance--the closer to the source, the more authentic it is. And people are that source. There are simply WAY more ex-New Yorkers in the Northeast than in any other region--there are stats that back this up. There are simply WAY more ex-New Yorkers than ex-Angelenos or ex-Chicagoans, period. And there are simply WAY more ex-New Yorkers influencing its respective region than any other region.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:10 PM

313 posts, read 336,836 times
Quote:

Apples and oranges , Philadelphia is the 5th largest city in the U.S. , I don't know where Milwaukee stands in population rankings . Philadelphia ranks 9th in the world in GDP and has the top business grad school in the country and in top 10 ranking of all grad schools in most categories . Philadelphia Childrens Hospital also ranked one of the best children's hospitals in the world . Four designated National Cancer Institute Center's within the city borders . Seven med schools and over 100 colleges and universities in it's metro. Philly stands on 300 years of history and would be just as great if N.Y.C. were 500 miles away .
http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...retail-market/

Last edited by kingtutaaa; 04-22-2017 at 11:19 PM..

Old 04-23-2017, 02:42 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
People incorrectly voted this way last time... The Midwest is huge and filled with a lot of cities, so when you actually factually break it down (population, gdp, basically anything) Chicago doesn't dominate at all; furthermore, if you only mean the difference between Chicago and the number two city (Westcobb's, "what other city even comes close?"), then NYC dominates way, way more over its region.
Well, it looks like people are "incorrectly" voting this way again. Why? Because it's true. Let me put this a different way -- the Northeast has at least three world class cities - NYC, DC, and Boston. (Maybe Philadelphia too.) Is NYC the most significant? Yes, but by virtue of being the seat of the most important government in the world, DC offers something NYC can't. NYC also can't match Boston's universities.

The West Coast has two world class cities. Los Angeles because of Hollywood, SF because of Silicone Valley. Neither can replace the other.

The Southeast has two (both debatable) world class cities. Houston because of the oil industry - Atlanta because it hosted the Summer Olympics, is the headquarters of Coke, has the nation's busiest airport. Some world argue Miami belongs in the same category of the other two because of its significance to Latin America.

The Midwest has a lot of cities and lots of micro regions, but only one world class city - Chicago. No other city even comes close to achieving that status. St. Louis? Detroit? Columbus? Indianapolis? Milwaukee? The Midwest is the only region where one city and one city alone has achieved international iconic status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City