Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What region is most dominated by a single metropolitan region and what is that metropolitan region?
Northeast (New York) 39 28.68%
Midwest (Chicago) 86 63.24%
West (Los Angeles) 2 1.47%
Northeast (Washington D.C.) 1 0.74%
Midwest (Detroit) 0 0%
West (San Francisco Bay Area) 0 0%
Northeast (Boston or Philadelphia) 0 0%
Midwest (Minneapolis) 0 0%
West (Seattle) 3 2.21%
Other (state) 5 3.68%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 01:04 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
those CSA's are not 3 major cities but five, your adding province and Baltimore which further my point.

It takes 5 Coast cities to rival New York CSA size

Chicago is 9,882,634

Detroit 5,318,653

Minneapolis 3,894,820

over 9.2 mil a close population is already reached with just 2 CSA's to Chicago size

Posters are going the East Coast has more major cities so the East Coast is dominate by NY less..... which actually no sense.

Chicago is not as big as New York, so it doesn't matter if the secondary cities of Midwest aren't as big East Coast secondary cities.

Milwaukee is closer to Chicago size than Philly is too New York size. basically New York is so big it make Philly look like Milwaukee size to Chicago.

As much as Chicago is an odd ball to the midwest, the midwest is still more balance than the East Coast, New York dominates the East coast more.
The Midwest does not have CSA's in the same fashion that the Northeast does, so sure there are 5 even 6 cities if you add Wilmington, DE in those 3 CSA's. But those 3 CSA's are all tight and close together with multiple major cities in one 30-50 mile stretch. This simply just does not happen with those Midwest metros, where the closest of any substantial city is 200+ miles out. It's really apples to oranges.

Again I'd rather compare more than population numbers, but NYC is dominate in and around itself because it is the de facto "world capital". The other major cities on the East Coast (at least DC, Philly, Boston) don't get really encroached on by NYC's dominance however because of how strong they are in comparison to the rest of the country. Your talking about one 350 mile stretch with four of the 8 largest CSA's and four of the 10 largest MSA's in the country.

You drop DC in the Western United States, Philly in the Midwest, and Boston in the South and they instantly would be no worse than second in their respective regions. Which is vastly more dominant than any Midwest city would do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiesinUSA View Post
If Chicago was an East Coast city, one of the NE cities would lose a whole lot of people.
Which one?

Old 04-25-2017, 01:53 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And people in a city like Cleveland, imo, look up to Chicago as their "big city" whereas people in Boston don't really look at NYC that way.
Not even almost. From Cleveland, tons of friends and family there, go back a few times a year. Still nobody cares about Chicago.

Chicago people have a vastly overstated heir of importance that just isn't really there.

I've been to Chicago twice. It's fine. No desire to live there though.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:55 PM

This is more just a narration of a small chunk of history. I don't think this "proves" what you intend it to.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:21 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,174,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
The Midwest does not have CSA's in the same fashion that the Northeast does, so sure there are 5 even 6 cities if you add Wilmington, DE in those 3 CSA's. But those 3 CSA's are all tight and close together with multiple major cities in one 30-50 mile stretch. This simply just does not happen with those Midwest metros, where the closest of any substantial city is 200+ miles out. It's really apples to oranges.

Again I'd rather compare more than population numbers, but NYC is dominate in and around itself because it is the de facto "world capital". The other major cities on the East Coast (at least DC, Philly, Boston) don't get really encroached on by NYC's dominance however because of how strong they are in comparison to the rest of the country. Your talking about one 350 mile stretch with four of the 8 largest CSA's and four of the 10 largest MSA's in the country.

You drop DC in the Western United States, Philly in the Midwest, and Boston in the South and they instantly would be no worse than second in their respective regions. Which is vastly more dominant than any Midwest city would do.
This.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:38 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
This is evident from CvC threads where there are few matchups between non-Chicago Midwestern cities and SF, DC, LA, BOS, etc. Chicago nearly always has to be set up against a city outside of its region because other Midwestern cities can't compete against it on pretty much any metric discussed in this forum (transit, density, economic prowess, diversity, culture, etc.).

The Twin Cities might be the only other Midwestern metro that can stack up favorably to the C-D star cities, but it's usually not large enough to go head to head with most of the legacy cities and come out on top (with the exception of the COL category, perhaps).

Old 04-25-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This is evident from CvC threads where there are few matchups between non-Chicago Midwestern cities and SF, DC, LA, BOS, etc. Chicago nearly always has to be set up against a city outside of its region because other Midwestern cities can't compete against it on pretty much any metric discussed in this forum (transit, density, economic prowess, diversity, culture, etc.).

The Twin Cities might be the only other Midwestern metro that can stack up favorably to the C-D star cities, but it's usually not large enough to go head to head with most of the legacy cities and come out on top (with the exception of the COL category, perhaps).
This makes sense.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:52 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
This is not not true. Grew up in ohio. Never noticed chicago. Insane. "Midwest" is a huge area.
What part is not true?

I only made two concrete statements in the post you quoted.

1) Chicago is the only showcase city and/or world class city in the Midwest. That's most definitely true.

2) The other statement I made was that the West has a second world class place outside of Los Angeles, called San Francisco and the Northeast has a second world class place as well outside of New York, called Washington DC. That part of my statement is 100% true too.

So how is what I said not true again?

Old 04-26-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
What part is not true?

I only made two concrete statements in the post you quoted.

1) Chicago is the only showcase city and/or world class city in the Midwest. That's most definitely true.

2) The other statement I made was that the West has a second world class place outside of Los Angeles, called San Francisco and the Northeast has a second world class place as well outside of New York, called Washington DC. That part of my statement is 100% true too.

So how is what I said not true again?
People don't even address what the heck the thread is about. Influence on the region.

People growing up in Cleveland don't think about Chicago. Sorry, Chicago.

This is the dumbest thread.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
People don't even address what the heck the thread is about. Influence on the region.

People growing up in Cleveland don't think about Chicago. Sorry, Chicago.

This is the dumbest thread.
I think the question should have been asked differently, and also the use of the word "dominate" especially when referring to one city doing that to another, doesn't sit well with most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City