Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 01:21 AM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times

Advertisements

What about Missouri? It always struck me as a state culturally divided between the Midwest, Great Plains and South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 06:28 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,466,576 times
Re Cincinnati... it is a very Northern city that has taken in a large number of people from rural Kentucky, West Virginia, even east Tennessee over the past 100 years. Those people (including many older people in my family) tended to settle in neighborhoods near industrial areas. The Mill Creek Valley of Cincy was where the lion's share of Southerners moved to, places like St Bernard, Carthage, Lockland, and further out in Hamilton and Middletown. It's also a popular day trip destination for people in those areas. The overwhelming share of White people in Cincinnati are German Catholics.

Louisville is more of a real North / South hybrid city. I've moved here in 2002 after growing up in other parts of Kentucky and I'm still not sure there is just one accent that dominates here. A native can sound like someone from Iowa or someone from Butcher Haller KY. In general the east part of town is more Midwestern (with similar accents to Cincinnati) while the south / west parts are more Southern, but it's not 100%. The Indiana side is also a South / North hybrid.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:17 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
What about Missouri? It always struck me as a state culturally divided between the Midwest, Great Plains and South.
I agree.

Missouri is a good example of a hybrid state.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:59 AM

5,000 posts, read 9,147,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Most of Alabama's most notable cities aren't nearly identical; Mobile the oldest city with French/Spanish history, Montgomery the state's capitol, Birmingham with it's iron/steel history, and Huntsville the "Rocket" city. The economy is different throughout the state; Birmingham went from Industrial to Banking and Medical Research, Government, and Manufacturing in Montgomery, the Ports and State Docks in Mobile, and Aerospace, and Military Technology in Huntsville. And several other little things such as Architecture, Topography, Landscape, and etc. Huntsville with Tennessee similarities, Montgomery and West Georgia, Mobile and Louisiana, and Birmingham sharing similarities with the Midwest. Just things you observe when you study and research about America's history, along with Geography.

Same for states like California, Texas, and Florida. Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, and Austin; same thing can be applied to those particular cities. Especially if you include biodiversity as well...
Yep ! Alabama's 4 major cities have a few commonalities but over all they are different.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:27 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Connecticut. It's torn between classic New England (and for all the crap we give CT, it really has some of the nicest NE villages and landscapes) and Metropolitan New York.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Connecticut. It's torn between classic New England (and for all the crap we give CT, it really has some of the nicest NE villages and landscapes) and Metropolitan New York.
I think the NYC region is so much smaller than the rest of CT though. Not sure it really counts as enough to make the whole state a hybrid. Most of CT is pretty uniformly New England.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:26 PM

^physically speaking, you're definitely right. It's the small southwest corner of the state. Population-wise (and economically), it's. Bit more even. But I think in the spirit of this thread, you're probably right.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
^physically speaking, you're definitely right. It's the small southwest corner of the state. Population-wise (and economically), it's. Bit more even. But I think in the spirit of this thread, you're probably right.
Out of curiosity, is that the most densely populated part of CT?

Old 06-06-2016, 08:59 PM

138 posts, read 168,782 times
Most states are bigger or as big as most countries. Stands to reason most of them will have distinct areas and be hybrids of different things

Old 06-07-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Out of curiosity, is that the most densely populated part of CT?
Yes, although the I-91 corridor and Hartford/New Britain are pretty dense too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City