Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 05:20 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,912,447 times

Advertisements

There is also

Baccarat
Chloe
Davidoff of Geneva
Emillio pucci
Sergio Rossi
Loewe
Balmain is opening in soho NY this year
Phillip Lim
Jill Stuart
Mackage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 06:11 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
These lists are great, but, if anything, they understate the amount of luxury in NYC, because the "rule" is a city counts if there is one such store.

But in NYC, it's actually rare that there's only one store. There's often a half-dozen to dozen stores in NYC when there's only one or two in the next largest cities. Usually luxury retailers will have Midtown, Upper East, SoHo, and Flatiron locations, and often West Village, Meatpacking, Chelsea, Upper West, Financial District and Brooklyn locations.

And then there's the issue of size. Any store location counts, but often NYC will have the largest global flagship for the respective brand, whether we're talking H&M or Bulgari. Often there are multiple flagship sized stores in NYC. For Prada, there are huge multilevel flagships on Fifth, on Madison, and in SoHo, for example. Yeah, maybe there's a Prada or two in a smaller city, but it will often be smaller mall outlets. Ten of those stores wouldn't equal one flagship sized store.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:06 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John
Leviev: New York

Graff: New York, Chicago, Bal Harbour, Palm Beach, Las Vegas, San Francisco

Im always right across the street from the Graff boutique pictured below...never knew it was so chic. Lol

Graff, San Francisco

Old 01-29-2016, 07:17 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,012,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I'm aware, I wouldn't really call it "more luxurious" though. Maybe if it was cheap and ghetto like Vegas you'd be impressed?
I would. It is more expensive just to travel to Hawaii. It is more expensive to stay in Hawaii. And goods and services cost more in Hawaii. I'm not particularly impressed with either, because again, they draw most their revenue from tourists. That's cool if you are. Different strokes, and such...

Old 01-29-2016, 08:39 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
I would. It is more expensive just to travel to Hawaii. It is more expensive to stay in Hawaii. And goods and services cost more in Hawaii. I'm not particularly impressed with either, because again, they draw most their revenue from tourists. That's cool if you are. Different strokes, and such...
Ok. I suppose none of this cities are particularly impressive to you in their offerings then.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:27 PM

9,682 posts, read 9,402,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Ok. I suppose none of this cities are particularly impressive to you in their offerings then.
That's not what he's saying at all...There are different strokes for different folks. A city may have the same, or in Las Vegas's case significantly better retail offerings compared to it's peer cities, but that doesn't make it better when you factor in the ambiance, culture, class, and environment of the stores. (Gucci/Louisville no shade vs Gucci/New York City)

Old 01-29-2016, 10:55 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,012,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
That's not what he's saying at all...There are different strokes for different folks. A city may have the same, or in Las Vegas's case significantly better retail offerings compared to it's peer cities, but that doesn't make it better when you factor in the ambiance, culture, class, and environment of the stores. (Gucci/Louisville no shade vs Gucci/New York City)

Old 01-30-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramses50 View Post
There is also a significant difference between the stores in any city.

I live in Houston, and the Prada store is small, and carries a very limited selection. And there is one. In New York, they have four Prada boutiques and they have huge, multiple-levels and carry the entire range.

Every time I see something I like in magazines, then attempt to buy in Houston, they always have to order it from New York or Beverly Hills because the product range here sucks. Same for even more "mass" luxury like Burberry. Understandably so, because some places are more fashion-foward and have far more people who can afford it. They usually stock the conservative, lower-priced items here.
Well, yeah, that's what I was trying to say. Maybe NYC and Houston both have Prada, so you can "check the box" for both cities, but it's hardly equal.

Prada has at least three flagship sized stores in Manhattan, and additional boutiques in Manhattan and throughout the metro area. A Manhattan flagship store is often four levels, with large floorplates, and you're comparing to a boutique outlet probably in a mall. So it isn't 1:1; a single store in Manhattan could be 20x as big as a single store somewhere else.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:25 AM

To take an example, there is Ralph Lauren in NYC and in Atlanta, but they are not 1:1.

There are actually 11 Ralph Lauren stores in Manhattan + Brooklyn, and 1 in Atlanta. Under the list in this thread they would be listed as 1:1, even though 11 stores in one city and 1 in the other.

And that's actually underestimating the relative difference, because there are four enormous RL flagships in Manhattan, and none in Atlanta.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:13 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
These lists are great
This is a pretty good post and a good idea all around. Except unfortunately I don't have unlimited available time to actually make a list like that.

Personally I didn't really care for listing multiple locations. I don't really have the time to pinch out every store location a metropolitan area has, let alone Google map every store just to check and see if its in a mall or storefront on the sidewalks, or one, two, three, or four stories.

You know what you're talking about and all 150 brands that I made this thread on are all available in "mostly" alphabetical order in the first post. So if you don't mind, when you get the time, please make the list for New York with all 150 brands and all of New York's multiple locations and even the number of floors each and every store has. I would greatly appreciate it, again, I don't have the personal time to address every single idea City-Data posters have as suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City