Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite of the four?
Calgary 28 24.56%
Denver 63 55.26%
Edmonton 4 3.51%
Salt Lake City 19 16.67%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 02:58 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
You contradict yourself, see the statements in blue and then see the the ones in red.

I like Denver, it is my favorite city among these and would be my choice. I also think its name needs to be changed to Infillistan:

http://denverinfill.com/blog/wp-cont...o-1200x215.jpg

However, that being said, I think Calgary is ahead in urbanity. It's structural density transitions are a contiguous built-up high structurally dense form from CBD to adjacent areas. More so than Denver. Its transit ridership is also both more comprehensive and accessible within its neighborhoods served and higher ridership in general. Transit usage and less reliability on automobiles are further culturally ingrained in Calgary than in Denver. C-Train's daily ridership volume is over 305,000 people per day on its rail system, whereas in Denver the RTD's rail component averages a little more than 86,000 people per day.
Calgary is one of those mid-sized cities that really perfected LRT usage throughout its population - 294,000 per day, making it the second highest ridership in North America and light years ahead of cities like Portland (124,000/day) and Denver (79,000/day). This is even more impressive figure given the harsh winter temperatures in Calgary, and the relatively more mild climates in Denver and SLC.

The best part? Calgary City Council recently approved the construction of a 3rd partially underground LRT Line that will cost $5 billion, and is scheduled to begin construction this month. It's one of those rare Prairie cities where you can comfortably live without a car, and benefits from years of sustained government investment into its transit system.

- Calgary Transit, Wiki Commons
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 03:18 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Calgary is one of those mid-sized cities that really perfected LRT usage throughout its population - 294,000 per day, making it the second highest ridership in North America and light years ahead of cities like Portland (124,000/day) and Denver (79,000/day). This is even more impressive figure given the harsh winter temperatures in Calgary, and the relatively more mild climates in Denver and SLC.

The best part? Calgary City Council recently approved the construction of a 3rd partially underground LRT Line that will cost $5 billion, and is scheduled to begin construction this month. It's one of those rare Prairie cities where you can comfortably live without a car, and benefits from years of sustained government investment into its transit system.
This is really good and welcoming information with regard to Calgary's transit expansion. Good stuff there.

What really impresses me the most about Canadian cities relative to American ones is how much they work towards building up the core. The thing I notice when I look at Calgary is how overwhelmingly residential the structures in its core are, more so than commercial offices and such, which is not to suggest that it lacks any office space or anything of the sort but the residential infill dwarfs the office infill it seems. That's really good in my book. Calgary's downtown has a massive residential component to it and by looking at its infill, it appears to still be expanding its stock of housing there. That's incredible and seems to be the common practice among all of Canada's major cities (especially Toronto and Vancouver). Not everything is perfect about it, I'm sure, as is the case with anything and everything, but the investment level is great and profound.

American cities, largely all of them, are also seeing core investments and more residential stuff but not much in the way of their Canadian counterparts, which seem to have more infill and developmental activity in their respective cores, especially when size is taken into account.

C-Train's going through an overhaul, that's amazing to see.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 10-16-2017 at 03:39 PM..

Old 10-16-2017, 03:33 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
As someone 2 years ago asked, why is Edmonton on the list? It's 300 K's away, which is about a 3 hour drive away to the edge of Jasper National park? If you are driving from Edmonton to the city of Jasper, it's four hours at least.
Canadians do not think of Edmonton as a Rocky Mountain city.

Calgary, even though it's much closer, and is a jumping off point for those who want to visit the Rockies, still technically is not IN the the Rockies.

I like the thread, but IMO it's seriously misnamed.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:57 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,380,546 times
As a city i prefer Calgary. As for scenery, Utah is a really beautiful state and it seems more geographically diverse than the others.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:43 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,817,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post

- Calgary Transit, Wiki Commons
Those residential towers are vomit-inducing. Who approved those?!

Old 10-17-2017, 08:54 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,884,662 times
Calgary looks beautiful especially approaching from the south with the Rockies on your left. Fairly impressive skyline for a town its size. I've only flown in and out via WestJet, so never seen much of the city itself. Therefore, unfair for me to even comment about YYC.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:56 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,884,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
IMO, the thing holding back SLC is it's reputation. It's a great city with tons of potential, but it might take awhile for the over obsessive Mormon image to dissolve.
Agree. SLC would be the size of Denver if not for the "Mormon" issue. In reality, the Mormon pioneers were attempting to be as isolated as possible. To a certain extent, they succeeded.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:58 AM

61 posts, read 79,497 times
The American bias in this thread is strong - categories like urbanity and Nightlife the Canadian cities win pretty handily in my opinion.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:51 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Denver

Old 10-28-2017, 10:26 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
As someone 2 years ago asked, why is Edmonton on the list? It's 300 K's away, which is about a 3 hour drive away to the edge of Jasper National park? If you are driving from Edmonton to the city of Jasper, it's four hours at least.
Canadians do not think of Edmonton as a Rocky Mountain city.

Calgary, even though it's much closer, and is a jumping off point for those who want to visit the Rockies, still technically is not IN the the Rockies.

I like the thread, but IMO it's seriously misnamed.
I think the concepts are different in the US than Canada, as Colorado is often considered a mountain state even though its almost half prairies. The Colorado Rockies play in a ballfield in a city that is technically on the plains. But overall the Interior West, basically any state in the the mountain time zone which has a lot of prairie frontier, are generally thought of as the "Mountain States" so the big cities within them will have that "Rockies" association.

In Canada, even though Alberta has some of the country's best mountain scenery, it's grouped in with Manitoba and Saskatchewan as one of the prairie provinces. And Calgary and Edmonton are generally thought of as the prairies. The Bow River through Calgary looks like a river that came running straight out of the mountains (https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0527...7i11080!8i5540). I'd agree that Edmonton is pretty distant to the Rockies. It's also the most northern major metro area on the continent, so it's a stone's throw from the boreal landscapes.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 10-28-2017 at 10:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City