Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 05:23 AM

787 posts, read 1,696,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
LOL, Ann Arbor is five hours from Chicago. This would be like saying Virginia is close to NYC.

The entire Ivy League is closer to NYC than the University of Michigan is to Chicago.

Add in the world's premiere technical university (MIT), all Seven Sisters Womens Colleges, the most elite liberal arts colleges (Amherst, Williams, Swarthmore, etc.), the best art schools, the best Jesuit schools, the best Jewish schools, and dozens upon dozens of colleges. All closer to NYC than UofM is to Chicago.

Heck, we have Columbia, Princeton and Yale right in the NYC metropolitan area, all no more than 90 minutes by train to Midtown.

Riiight, Detroit is a lot more fascinating than Boston or Washington. And a lot further too, on boring I-94. Yippee! And sure, Milwaukee sure has more to do than Philly.

And Minneapolis? WTF? Minneapolis is 370 miles from Chicago!

Ohio is closer to NYC than Minneapolis is to Chicago! North Carolina too!
One can get to Ohio and North Carolina from NYC faster than a Chicagoan can get to Minneapolis. Gee, real close!

Yeah, just seven hours! Right next-door! And Yellowstone is pretty close to Chicago too!

You clearly know everything there is to know. I guess I will just leave it alone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
You clearly know everything there is to know. I guess I will just leave it alone
You're right.

Chciago totally doesn't have two top 12 schools (in the city or immediately adjacent), the #1 catholic school (Notre Dame in South Bend), the largest Jesuit School (De Paul), and a host of other colleges and universities...

No culture.

No forests, even though it has the nation's largest system of urban forest preserves.

Other cities in the region, nothing going on for them. Totally lifeless, country-fied, and devoid of fun.

Give me a freaking break.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:11 AM

197 posts, read 181,795 times
Quote:
You're right.

Chciago totally doesn't have two top 12 schools (in the city or immediately adjacent), the #1 catholic school (Notre Dame in South Bend), the largest Jesuit School (De Paul), and a host of other colleges and universities...

No culture.

No forests, even though it has the nation's largest system of urban forest preserves.

Other cities in the region, nothing going on for them. Totally lifeless, country-fied, and devoid of fun.

Give me a freaking break.
Give yourself a break buddy and stop making dumb claims.... Again, I asked what is located within two hours drive from Chicago... I am still waiting...

Old 08-26-2009, 06:40 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Can we please stop talking about things that are close to these cities??

How about we shift the conversation to these actual cities?

Old 08-26-2009, 06:43 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
This is getting ridiculous. Some people prefer New York City, some prefer Chicago. To each their own.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Can we please stop talking about things that are close to these cities??

How about we shift the conversation to these actual cities?
The surroundings are important as they define leisure, New York's surrounding simply offer much more in terms of excitement. Being located in the most densely populated area in the US has its perks.

Actual cities? What do you want to discuss? New York is three times bigger, 200 years older therefore more refined, more urban, more affluent and more artsy. Trendsetter. Pretty much in its own league among other American and world cities. It's New York and comparing any other city does not make much sense, unless you compare London, Paris or Tokyo.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:50 PM

398 posts, read 1,040,266 times
Quote:
You're right.

Chciago totally doesn't have two top 12 schools (in the city or immediately adjacent), the #1 catholic school (Notre Dame in South Bend), the largest Jesuit School (De Paul), and a host of other colleges and universities....
Notre Dame isn't in metropolitan Chicago.

Not in the MSA; not in the CSA. Not even close.

And it's hardly the best Catholic University. That would be Georgetown.

DePaul is only known for basketball, and is not a large or presitigous Jesuit school. Far from the largset Jesuit university.
Quote:
No culture.
Of course there's some culture, but not really world-class. Certainly the best in the Midwest, but not comparable to first-tier cultural capitals.
Quote:
Complete B.S. There are no "urban forest preserves" in Chicago. Please show me these "urban forest preserves". Maybe there are some suburban parks with trees and stuff, but not within Chicago city limits.

And, generally speaking, the Midwest surrounding Chicago is a boring, flat, treeless plain.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:03 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take2 View Post
The surroundings are important as they define leisure, New York's surrounding simply offer much more in terms of excitement. Being located in the most densely populated area in the US has its perks.

Actual cities? What do you want to discuss? New York is three times bigger, 200 years older therefore more refined, more urban, more affluent and more artsy. Trendsetter. Pretty much in its own league among other American and world cities. It's New York and comparing any other city does not make much sense, unless you compare London, Paris or Tokyo.
I think I speak for most Chicagoans and New Yorkers when I say that most of the time we're so engulfed in our city that we don't look for day or weekend trips to getaway.

If we want a vacation, we take one. Yea its convenient to have places nearby, but you can get to most of the country with a cheap plane ticket.

As far as actual cities, yes, thats what I want to discuss.

New York is more affluent, more artsy, and more urban. Now lets get to how these cities are different and why you feel that NYC is better than Chicago for YOU and vice versa.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
Notre Dame isn't in metropolitan Chicago.

Not in the MSA; not in the CSA. Not even close.

And it's hardly the best Catholic University. That would be Georgetown.

DePaul is only known for basketball, and is not a large or presitigous Jesuit school. Far from the largset Jesuit university.

Of course there's some culture, but not really world-class. Certainly the best in the Midwest, but not comparable to first-tier cultural capitals.

Complete B.S. There are no "urban forest preserves" in Chicago. Please show me these "urban forest preserves". Maybe there are some suburban parks with trees and stuff, but not within Chicago city limits.

And, generally speaking, the Midwest surrounding Chicago is a boring, flat, treeless plain.

Actually Notre Dame is #20 and Georgetown is #23...which is ranked higher? I assume you can read rankings.
It's also an hour and 42 minutes from the Chi...hardly far. About as far as New Haven is from NYC!

The forest preserves of Cook County total over 67,000 acres...the Labagh woods reach into Chicago on the North Side, and the Dan Ryan Woods on the South Side...

If you (in real life and not C-D) dismissed Chicago as some podunk cowtown...you'd be laughed at by any knowledgeable person. We have many great cities in this country. Me liking Chicago does not mean that I hate on any of our other great cities...unlike you.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
I think I speak for most Chicagoans and New Yorkers when I say that most of the time we're so engulfed in our city that we don't look for day or weekend trips to getaway.

If we want a vacation, we take one. Yea its convenient to have places nearby, but you can get to most of the country with a cheap plane ticket.
Why don't you just speak for Chicago? I guess you do not have a clue if you think all those houses in the Hamptons, Fire Island etc etc are just for show and not weekend gateways or you think Robert Moses built Jones Beach and LI highway system for his own amusement. New Yorkers utilize many weekend gateways; Catskills, Poconos, Lake George, Cape May, Long Island and Jersey Shore to name just a few historic ones. Yes, from Chicago you have to fly and take a real vacation to get to places as interesting as listed above but not from New York. You do not need a plane ticket here as a matter of fact you can get to most of the places faster than you would drive to and check into a flight at O'Hare. That's a perk of living in the city located in the most historic region of the country...

Quote:
As far as actual cities, yes, thats what I want to discuss.

New York is more affluent, more artsy, and more urban. Now lets get to how these cities are different and why you feel that NYC is better than Chicago for YOU and vice versa.

Why is New York different than Chicago? Historically because of different needs of people living in New York and Chicago. Just try to remember what was Chicago known for just a hundread years ago. New York is better because it is more expensive (supply/demand) the same way Mercedes is a better car than a Hyundai.

Last edited by take2; 08-26-2009 at 05:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City