Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 05:12 PM

17 posts, read 126,243 times

Advertisements

I live in Chicago..
and i was wondering what is the difference between Chicago and NY?
Is it safer,cleaner,lower crime rate

The reason i ask is because im looking to make a move from Chicago to Ny hopefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 05:29 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,845 times
I have never lived in NYC and have lived near Chicago most of my life (though its been a while since living in Chicago). NYC has a much higher cost of living and much lower crime rate than Chicago. Most would consider Chicago cleaner than NYC. NYC is the older of the cities, so it's likely to have more worn buildings, etc. As you probably know, NYC is VERY expensive to live in, especially with regards to renting and purchasing housing. It seems that NYC is a great place for certain types of jobs that are hard to find elsewhere (Securities, Big Law, Advertising, Publishing, etc). Unless you're getting a large raise and a much better opportunity in NYC than Chicago, you should consider the move very carefully. State and city taxes for people living in NYC can add up quick. NYC is more active and has more to offer, but the cost can be prohibitive.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:10 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,212,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salem22 View Post
I live in Chicago..
and i was wondering what is the difference between Chicago and NY?
Is it safer,cleaner,lower crime rate

The reason i ask is because im looking to make a move from Chicago to Ny hopefully.
I am assuming you're refering to New York City and not any other city in New York State

Old 12-27-2007, 06:41 PM

5 posts, read 32,652 times
NYC (specifically manhattan) is dirtier and more expensive than chicago. Certain boroughs, such as brooklyn and queens are more affordable and comparable to the cost of living in chicago. Chicago, definitely has more crime than new york. However, new york is more active than chicago (excluding the night life). You should not have a hard time adjusting to nyc coming from chicago bc both cities are similar when it comes to the hustle and bustle of live in a major city. Manhattan is what usually overwhelms people. Imagine downtown chicago being cut off on an island and then amplify that by 2 and you have manhattan. If you don't plan on living in the city (manhattan) you shouldn't have any problems adjusting after your move.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:49 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,362,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underground View Post
NYC (specifically manhattan) is dirtier and more expensive than chicago. Certain boroughs, such as brooklyn and queens are more affordable and comparable to the cost of living in chicago. Chicago, definitely has more crime than new york. However, new york is more active than chicago (excluding the night life). You should not have a hard time adjusting to nyc coming from chicago bc both cities are similar when it comes to the hustle and bustle of live in a major city. Manhattan is what usually overwhelms people. Imagine downtown chicago being cut off on an island and then amplify that by 2 and you have manhattan. If you don't plan on living in the city (manhattan) you shouldn't have any problems adjusting after your move.
yeah what he said! My wife is from Chicago and I am from NYC. Chicago is what some call a livable or more laid back NYC. I am actually living down south right now but I am trying to move back to NYC. If I can't then I will be looking to Chicago since we have family there.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:10 AM

167 posts, read 553,301 times
I grew up in Chicago and have lived here in NYC for the last 4 yrs.

Major differences (some already pointed out):

1. Crime less in Manhattan and I feel safer walking around here than Chicago.
2. Whenver I go back to Chicago even downtown seems suburban to me compared to NYC (yes, I know it isn't suburban)
3. Transporation better in Manhattan (faster, more encompassing)
4. NYC crazy expensive. Rent/food...whenver I go back to Chicago and meet up with friends at trendy restaurants I comment how inexpensive the food is!
5. I personally am getting very tired of the population density here...I am just sick of the constant rush of people on the streets, the noise, the cramped apts (and mine is a "decent sized one bedroom")
6. I actually prefer the food in Chicago
7. Much milder winters in NYC than Chicago
8. To me, the biggest edge NYC has over Chicago is easy access to plenty of places to drive within a 5 hour radius (East coast cities, Catskills, Adirondacks, etc, etc) ...drive for 5 hours from Chicago and what do you findd???
9. Every time I go to Chicago and visit traffic is absolutely horrible at all times. My first 1.5 yrs up here I had to drive for work all day and yes, it sucked, but not as bad as Chicago.
10. Manhattan is becoming a mecca for the rich and trust fund babies.

Good luck!

Old 12-28-2007, 03:23 PM

10,060 posts, read 14,430,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerita View Post

2. Whenver I go back to Chicago even downtown seems suburban to me compared to NYC (yes, I know it isn't suburban)
4. NYC crazy expensive. Rent/food...whenver I go back to Chicago and meet up with friends at trendy restaurants I comment how inexpensive the food is!
5. I personally am getting very tired of the population density here...I am just sick of the constant rush of people on the streets, the noise, the cramped apts (and mine is a "decent sized one bedroom")
8. To me, the biggest edge NYC has over Chicago is easy access to plenty of places to drive within a 5 hour radius (East coast cities, Catskills, Adirondacks, etc, etc) ...drive for 5 hours from Chicago and what do you findd???
9. Every time I go to Chicago and visit traffic is absolutely horrible at all times. My first 1.5 yrs up here I had to drive for work all day and yes, it sucked, but not as bad as Chicago.

Good luck!
Very good points!! #8 is a point I absolutely agree with you on! Chicago's geography puts it at a major disadvantage, when comparing to NYC. That is what has, in part, limited its growth.
As for #10, that is absolutely true. Manhattan is slowly but surely becoming an overwhelmingly abundant playground for the wealthy. For it to continue growing, however, it must still build affordable housing for the middle-to-lower income citizens.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:27 PM

10,060 posts, read 14,430,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underground View Post
Manhattan is what usually overwhelms people. Imagine downtown chicago being cut off on an island and then amplify that by 2 and you have manhattan. If you don't plan on living in the city (manhattan) you shouldn't have any problems adjusting after your move.
I totally agree. Manhattan is another world for most people, especially those coming from any other city in the US to NYC. Super large! I'd increase your comparison in size of Manhattan to Chicago from "2" to "20". Chicago has a great downtown with amazing towers--but Manhattan overall is simply huge compared to Chicago's downtown.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I have never lived in NYC and have lived near Chicago most of my life (though its been a while since living in Chicago). NYC has a much higher cost of living and much lower crime rate than Chicago. Most would consider Chicago cleaner than NYC. NYC is the older of the cities, so it's likely to have more worn buildings, etc. As you probably know, NYC is VERY expensive to live in, especially with regards to renting and purchasing housing. It seems that NYC is a great place for certain types of jobs that are hard to find elsewhere (Securities, Big Law, Advertising, Publishing, etc). Unless you're getting a large raise and a much better opportunity in NYC than Chicago, you should consider the move very carefully. State and city taxes for people living in NYC can add up quick. NYC is more active and has more to offer, but the cost can be prohibitive.
Im thinking about the Buroughs..such as Brookyln,Queens,etc.
I can only afford 150-250k
Would around there be safe for a 31 yr old woman and her 13 year old daughter?

Old 12-28-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerita View Post

Good luck!
Thanks!
What do you think about the buroughs
brooklyn,bronx, queens

could i afford a decent two bedroom appartment for 250k or so?

Is it safe for a 31 year old woman and her 13 year old daughter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City