Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The following city has the greatest influence on the rest of the U.S.A...
New York City 502 68.30%
Los Angeles 233 31.70%
Voters: 735. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 10:03 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,021,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
"Real influential movies are independent films. Ny is the indie capital. Have you heard of zeitgeist?"

Sounds like somebody has gone coco for coco puffs! Damn, you are really on one. Where to start?

So let me see if I understand this: "Hollywood is really in New York and Hollywood is not really the movie capitol of the world."

Nope, still don't buy it.

Freeways are vital to the modern economy. Without freeways, the continental USA and the entire world might as well go back to the 18th century (cough)--new york. In fact if it weren't for LA, new york would have us stuck in a time warp, using steam trains, walking, and living in top of each other. No thanks! Thanks to California leading the way, that is not how America rolls.

Far as music, the only genre that I can think of coming out of ny is rap but even that is questionable as the so called "founders" copied their stuff from Jamaica. But anyway hip hop is ghetto and most people don't truly acknowledge it as a legitimate genre. So debatable all around but ok.

You personally might not eat at McD's but let it be known that it is all up, through, around NY and the entire world. You lose that argument.

Fashion capital? ny hasn't started any trends since the early hip hop era! You people just consume and recycle commercialized fashion. You don't START trends. There's a difference. You buy what designers (who steal their ideas from regular people) tell you is hip or cool. Am I lying anybody? The real trendsetters are from places like California, the UK, and even Italy. ny is just used for marketing purposes. Doesn't mean it is the fashion epicenter of the world lol--not by far.
Its again obviously you ignore the facts when somebody gives it to you. You have four people telling you the same thing you are still stuck in your little world. Freeways lead to sprawl. Should we thank you for that? Second the world doesnt like sprawl. You said you've been to Europe. You should know that.

Music. Sinc you obviously dont pay attention heres the a small part of the link i posted.

Quote:
The music of New York City is a diverse and important field in the world of music; no American city has as central a place in music history as New York City. It has long been a thriving home for jazz, rock and the blues, and is the birthplace of salsa and hip hop. The city's culture, a melting pot of nations from around the world, has produced vital folk music scenes such as Irish-American music and Jewish klezmer. Beginning with the rise of popular sheet music in the early 20th century, New York's Broadway musical theater and Tin Pan Alley's songcraft, New York has been a major part of the American music industry.[1]
Music author Richie Unterberger has described the New York music scene, and the city itself, as "(i)mmense, richly diverse, flashy, polyethnic, and engaged in a never-ending race for artistic and cosmopolitan supremacy".[1]
This also mentions punk rock but its shared between the UK and here, but mostly here.

Fashion Capital. No one copy styles. If the people of the fashion world say NY is the fashion capital why would it not be. Nobody follows LAs style. What can you give in the same weather that someplace else cant. People in Paris, London, Tokyo, and Milan who are in the fashion industry call NYC a fashion capital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 10:09 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,277,642 times
Most of the companies you people have claimed and listed are either foreign or incorporated in another state. HA! What a joke. ny conglomerates basically buy companies that were started in other states and sells stocks of other comanies that were started in other states. That's not what I would call influential. ny is basically just a middle man and not the primary source. Get your heads out of your ass-es! You guys are not innovative enough. Know your role as efficient middle men and consumers.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-27-2009 at 04:47 AM.. Reason: language

Old 06-26-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:

Most of the companies you people have claimed and listed are either foreign or incorporated in another state. HA! What a joke. ny conglomerates basically buy companies that were started in other states and sells stocks of other comanies that were started in other states. That's not what I would call influential. ny is basically just a middle man and not the primary source. Get your heads out of your ass-es! You guys are not innovative enough. Know your role as efficient middle men and consumers.
Thats not even true. All the companies i listed were mostly in NY and the rest(small part) was in LA which was owned by NY companies.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-27-2009 at 04:48 AM.. Reason: language

Old 06-26-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Through the mud? More like, pouring it on ya! Now if I were not speaking truth, I would not have your attention. You know it's all true though. The numbers don't lie.

LA 11,000,000

ny 8,000,000
do you need a scientist to come explain things? I wish Bellevue still had its "special" hospital.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:23 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,277,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Thats not even true. All the companies i listed were mostly in NY and the rest(small part) was in LA which was owned by NY companies.
Sony is Japanese.

I don't have time to do this right now but if or when I do, I'll bet that the findings would have most of the companies you people listed as "ny," either originated out of state or are incorporated in another state. Mind you, I am giving you credit for an entire STATE and not just your city (population 8,000,000). You want to talk state though, I'll put up CA's Nike, Apple, Google, Yahoo, McDs, Disney, Oracle, Intel, Levis, Boeing, and others against yours anyday! Bring it on! Nothing more entertaining than watching ny'ers get SMASHED ON and isht their pants. You guys make good entertainment--a good broadway play, a tragedy and a comedy rolled up into one.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-27-2009 at 04:48 AM..

Old 06-26-2009, 10:29 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,813,368 times
Quote:

You are honestly the most ignorant, close minded person i've ever witnessed on this site.. kudos to you.

NYC rakes in the most money in this country, It's the most expensive major city to live in, It's the most populated city in the country, It is the biggest metropolis in the country, It is the safest major city in this country, and It is in fact known as the fashion capitol of the world...

You know what.?. I think i'm talking to a stubborn 13 year old die hard homer.

silly me...

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-27-2009 at 04:48 AM..

Old 06-26-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Sony is Japanese.

I don't have time to do this but if or when I do, I'll bet that most of the companies you people listed as "ny," either originated out of state or are incorporated in another state. Mind you, I am giving you credit for an entire STATE and not just your city (population 8,000,000). You want to talk state and I'll put up CA's Nike, Apple, Google, Yahoo, McDs, Disney, Oracle, Intel, Levis, Boeing, and others against yours anyday! Bring it on! BRING IT on!
Im not talking about state, i just said ny but i was talking about the city. Its funny though. Google has most of its offices in NYC. Nike is in Oregon. Apple likes NYC. every time i watch a tutorial it features NYC whenever they are talking about maps or something. They make more money in their NYC stores and they put better designs. Levis(Levi Strauss & Co. (LS&CO) is a privately held clothing company known worldwide for its Levi's brand of denim jeans. It was founded in 1853 when Levi Strauss came from Buttenheim, Franconia, (Kingdom of Bavaria) to San Francisco, California to open a west coast branch of his brothers' New York dry goods business.)Boeing Founded in Washington HQ is in Chicago.Whats also funny all of those companies get funded through the NYSE.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Through the mud? More like, pouring it on ya! Now if I were not speaking truth, I would not have your attention. You know it's all true though. The numbers don't lie.

LA 11,000,000

ny 8,000,000
Heres the population again by the US census

List of United States cities by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-27-2009, 12:06 AM

47 posts, read 128,971 times
BigCityGuy, as I have explained before, NYC is a city made up of counties and LA is a county made up of cities. The right way to compare is to take LA county vs. New York City. The metropolitan area for NYC includes other states and the metropolitan for LA includes other counties, so these two areas shouldn't be compared. When combining all the areas we include in our definition of LA (Beverly Hills or Pasadena not in LA-come on now) and all that we include in our definition of NY (someone from North Jersey isn't from NY, no matter which way you cut it), LA comes out with a larger population. Granted, NY's population lies in a much smaller area, which makes it greatly more dense with more of a city feel.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:25 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,845,992 times
Quote:
Because that is LOS ANGELES. When people say "LA" that is what we are talking about. That's ridiculous, you're bringing up other states nj, pa, and ct. ? Get real..... ny has lost the fight, one on one, and now you're trying to call for backup. That just shows, ny is out of breath and on the ropes!

Other states?? o be for farkin real! ha! Don't make me LAUGH!
Trying to call for back up??? you mean like connected cities??? Give it a rest LA can't stand with NYC with out its suburbs in the county. If you want to go metro areas start the thread. Other wise your're admitting what everyone else already knows. That LA can't even stand alone...is that what you call a great city. One that has to include help from other cities and discount the majority of the city it's going against? I don't see cities like NYC and Chicago and San Francisco can stand alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City