Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 10:34 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,847 times

Advertisements

I like both Atlantic Station and National Harbor very much; however, the idea of bumping into any of the Real Housewives of Atlanta at Atlantic Station is enough for me to go with National Harbor on this one. Plus, National Harbor is in a better location than Atlantic Station.

Also, FWIW, National Harbor is in Maryland, not D.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 10:59 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by state101 View Post
Both have different functions. NH goal is to keep the people there for a convention and the people that work at NH occupied so they should have more attractions. NH do not want to be part of the community

AS mission generally is to entertain people in town And to be apart of the community. AS doesnt not have to be the main attraction since it is near other attractions at West Midtown, Midtown and Downtown.

The goals and target markets for both of developments are completely different. Comparing both is stupid.

NH has to have more stuff to do so that the visitors do not venture outside that complex. AS is more of an addition to Midtown
True. From Atlantic Station you only need drive, walk, bike, or catch the free shuttle a few blocks to be here:
And also. That first video describing Atlantic Station is old as dirt. Most of the highrises there today hadn't even been built yet in that video.

Google Map image

Last edited by JMT; 01-26-2014 at 07:59 AM..

Old 01-26-2014, 05:33 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,031,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I like both Atlantic Station and National Harbor very much; however, the idea of bumping into any of the Real Housewives of Atlanta at Atlantic Station is enough for me to go with National Harbor on this one. Plus, National Harbor is in a better location than Atlantic Station.

Yeah, I bump into Nene all the time. In a city of nearly 5 million+ your chances of running into a particular individual are slim to none.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:34 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,031,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And I get that; all I'm saying is actually consider all things.
Good one.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:41 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Yeah, I bump into Nene all the time. In a city of nearly 5 million+ your chances of running into a particular individual are slim to none.
LOL! Yeah and NeNe lives in a burb somewhere almost an hour outside the city so I doubt if she's hanging at AS all the time.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:52 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:

Are you saying that because it's on the water? From an urban/connectivity standpoint, I'd say AS has the edge.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:04 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's actually the worst imo. In older cities at least, you'd have tons of shiny, new buildings in the middle of older buildings made of stone and brick. It's just an odd contrast.

I also think Atlantic Station and the National Harbor play two different roles within their respective regions. AS is supposed to provide a more classicially urban, transit-oriented experience for a region that doesn't have many classically urban and transit-oriented areas. Nobody has that expectation of NH. It's just another place in the area to hang out. Would it be better if NH were more transit accessible? Probably. But I don't see that as being any more problematic than Mount Vernon not being transit accessible. I guess it kinda sucks for the residents though. But then again, if metro access were a big deal to you, you probably wouldn't live there anyway.
Despite Maryland being considered "extremely Liberal" by many residents, very few Marylanders would support widespread public transportation to and from the National Harbor. NIMBYism runs deep here with most of those "Liberals" being afraid that mass transit would allow for easy access of the PG poor to bring their crime and plight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by state101 View Post
Comparing both NH is the winner. It has to be a one stop shop because it doesn't have any competition in PG County. NH goal is to keep people entertained enough so that do not have to go to DC. AS goal is to give people in town an additional destination
The goal of National Harbor is to get some of the tourist dollars that other DC metro cities in Maryland are getting...namely Silver Spring and Bethesda. It's not called the NATIONAL Harbor for giggles.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:12 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
I like both Atlantic Station and National Harbor very much; however, the idea of bumping into any of the Real Housewives of Atlanta at Atlantic Station is enough for me to go with National Harbor on this one.
I ran into Hosea Chanchez aka Malik Wright aka "The Holy Ghost" aka Malik Murder aka Malik 40 Million Dollarz at Atlantic Station once.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:03 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I ran into Hosea Chanchez aka Malik Wright aka "The Holy Ghost" aka Malik Murder aka Malik 40 Million Dollarz at Atlantic Station once.
I don't know who that is, but i've ran into Red Cafe, and Sage Steele (ESPN) in National Harbor, what this has to do with the argument, idk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City