Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 11:43 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,302,737 times

Advertisements

In the day to day lifestyle of hipsterdom?

MODS: Please add a poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 11:51 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,875,288 times
How do you even measure something like this?

Old 06-04-2013, 11:56 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,539,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I don't know. Is this supposed to be based on total hipsters or per capita hipsters... I think the Census Bureau just started measuring this one...

Old 06-04-2013, 11:57 AM

390 posts, read 942,050 times
Portland is much more hipster.

In certain neighborhoods of Brooklyn there are hipsters (i.e. Greenpoint, Williamsburg, Park Slope) but by large it's very diverse...there are many more African Americans, Hispanics, Russians, Jewish People than hipsters in the borough.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:03 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,777,818 times
In raw numbers, I don't see how anything could really beat Brooklyn.

I still find it interesting that hipsters are so prominently associated with the borough that raised Al Capone, Mike Tyson, and Ol' Dirty Bastard.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:12 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,875,288 times
I would think that Brooklyn would probably have more "real" hipsters (or at least did at one time) - you know, actual artists that move into less-than-desirable neighborhoods because they are inexpensive and have good location.

Then everyone, starving artists and original residents alike, get priced out when the "fake" hipsters come along. At this point though, the "fakes" are usually what people think of instead of the actual hipsters. I mean, Taylor Swift has a song with a like about "dressing up like hipsters" (I only know because I saw a commercial with that song, I swear! ). How counter-culture!

It's sort of like how the whole Emo thing got blown out of proportion a few years ago.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
We could try to get an extremely rough estimate. The University of Minnesota has a database that has tons of detailed data related to migration, demographics, etc.

If we controlled for all white people moving into the 11206, 11211 and 11237 zip codes from Midwestern states within the last decade, we'd probably get some idea of the Hipster population in BK. Then you could take all recent black migrants (excluding all from the Caribbean and Africa) and figure out a way to guesstimate that subset of the Hipster population. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say 3 out of every 100 hipsters in Brooklyn is non-white.

That would be a starting point.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:23 PM

465 posts, read 873,535 times
I would say Brooklyn has far more hipsters in raw totals, but Portland is significantly more thoughly hipster in %.

They're definitely the two most hipster locales in the U.S., though. Williamsburg, Brooklyn is probably the world center of hipsterdom.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I would think that Brooklyn would probably have more "real" hipsters (or at least did at one time) - you know, actual artists that move into less-than-desirable neighborhoods because they are inexpensive and have good location.

Then everyone, starving artists and original residents alike, get priced out when the "fake" hipsters come along. At this point though, the "fakes" are usually what people think of instead of the actual hipsters. I mean, Taylor Swift has a song with a like about "dressing up like hipsters" (I only know because I saw a commercial with that song, I swear! ). How counter-culture!

It's sort of like how the whole Emo thing got blown out of proportion a few years ago.
See, I don't consider starving artists to be hipsters. A hipster is someone who rides a 14 foot unicycle down Flatbush Avenue with this "Why are people looking at me? I'm just riding my unicycle" look on his face. It's the attention-seeking behavior that bothers most people.

Brooklyn & Not Brooklyn | D I E H I P S T E R . C O M

Old 06-04-2013, 12:27 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,539,349 times
The whole "hipster" thing got played out somewhere around 2007. Even complaining about hipsters in recent years has been considered a little passe... People can't even get the cliches right about hipsters these days... I heard someone at my office make a joke about "trucker hats" and combovers when it seems like that was almost a decade ago when that look was really popular... Nowdays "hipsters" have like weird fade haircuts and dress really sort of preppy. There's always been young people in the some urban scene who dress a certain trendy look of the period--only these days there's just bigger marketing push behind it.

The people defined as hipsters in both cities are concentrated in certain areas. Brooklyn it's Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Park Slope and then into other adjacent neighborhoods. In Portland it's mainly inner SE Portland north of Powell and east of 60th to about Burnside and then a few areas like Alberta or Mississippi or parts of downtown. You would never find a hipster in Portland anywhere east of 82nd Avenue or near N Columbia Blvd or the West Hills or almost anywhere in SW Portland south of downtown. Same thing with you're not going to find hipsters in Brooklyn in Canarsie or Brownsville or so on... Honestly, going to parts of Los Angeles or San Francisco or Seattle seem just as trendy as either city...

Pretty soon though, a certain poster will show up here to lecture us on how hipsters are everyone in their twenties who lives in "Portland, Seattle, Austin, Boston, and San Francisco"....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City