Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 04:06 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puertoricanyoruba View Post
Orlando is turning into a Puerto Rican mecca, very similar to black atlanta or cuban miami. I also know many Puerto Ricans moving to states all across the Eastcoast, including Pennsylvania, New york, and massachusetts in the northeast and Georgia, VA, and NC down south, and even ohio, texas, and other parts of florida, and the country as whole
In the past, PRs used to focus heavy on NY, now PRs are spreading out a bit. I was born in Loiza in the northeast coast of PR, moved to North Philadelphia at 13, been here since. I visit PR often, and almost every time i go i see one of my friends of family leaving for the states. I would say more PRs are leaving now, then in the 1950s when many left for NY
With Loiza being an area with a strong Black African presence on the island, do the people from there that leave PR go to the traditional PR neighborhoods or to neighborhoods with a high concetration of Black residents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 08:35 PM

14 posts, read 30,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
With Loiza being an area with a strong Black African presence on the island, do the people from there that leave PR go to the traditional PR neighborhoods or to neighborhoods with a high concetration of Black residents?
PRs from Loiza are just like PRs from any other part of Puerto Rico. Its just African element of Puerto Rican culture is much more profound there and neighboring eastcoast towns, compared to most of the rest of the island where the Spanish or even Taino elements stick out more. You hear more bomba and see santeria traditions practiced more there in Loiza then anywhere else. But like i said PRs from Loiza are just like PRs from any other part of Puerto Rico. White Puerto Ricans, Black Puerto Ricans, Mixed-race Puerto Ricans (Triqueno), all Puerto Ricans have Puerto Rican culture, whether they decend primarily from the spanish, african, or taino, or a mixture of em
With that being said Puerto Ricans moving from Loiza to the states are almost definitely going to a traditional PR neighborhood with other PRs from other races.
1. Language barrier Puerto Ricans of any race, straight out of PR, are more likely going to speak spanish only
2. Unlike Americans, Hispanics in general, see nationality and culture over race and ancestry.

On a side note, even though there emigration out of PR is at all-time highs, black Puerto Ricans always was and still are the least likely to leave, compared to white PRs and multiracial PRs.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:40 PM

Back to the topic though, im not exactly sure what city is best for Puerto Ricans leaving PR....
it could be NYC, Orlando, Philly, Chicago, Boston, Tampa or some other city.....
But i know the best city for this Puerto Rican, and that is Philadelphia, i love my city, my home away from home

Old 07-13-2014, 08:45 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puertoricanyoruba View Post
Back to the topic though, im not exactly sure what city is best for Puerto Ricans leaving PR....
it could be NYC, Orlando, Philly, Chicago, Boston, Tampa or some other city.....
But i know the best city for this Puerto Rican, and that is Philadelphia, i love my city, my home away from home
I would say the Delaware Valley as a whole as surrounding cities like Vineland, Wilmington, Reading, and Trenton all of large and long established Puerto Rican populations.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 07-13-2014 at 08:54 PM..

Old 07-13-2014, 10:35 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,421 times
Charlotte NC is a very good place also

Census: Mecklenburg’s Hispanic population continues to surge | CharlotteObserver.com

First Drip (7/9/14): Hispanic population in Charlotte continues to grow, more

http://clclt.com/theclog/archives/20...s-to-grow-more

The growth of the Hispanic population in Charlotte continues to far outpace that of the white and black populations, new Census data shows. "From 2010 to 2013, Mecklenburg’s Hispanic population increased 10.9 percent to nearly 125,000 residents. Its white population, meanwhile, increased 5.4 percent to about 591,000. The county has nearly 1 million residents."

Old 07-13-2014, 10:58 PM

Apparently, in southern states with strict immigration laws, many companies in rural parts of the south are replacing illegal immigrant workers with Puerto Rican citizens, as well as refugees from Africa among other places like Haiti.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/illeg...obs-after.html
idk if thats a clickable link, if not just copy and paste it in the search bar on top
Also, Baltimore, Charlotte, and Houston are starting to hire tons of ricans as cops and teachers.
Really, PRs are going where there is jobs. But the main spots are Florida and the Northeast (particularly NY and Philly) , and to a lesser degree Texas and many other areas of southeast
New York, Orlando, and Philadelphia are probably the best spots though, just on sheer size of their Puerto Rican populations.
Though, economically cities down south and out west are great for anybody of any race, not saying Northeast and midwest cities arent doing good too, cuz they are

Old 07-15-2014, 11:44 AM

Just found out to insert a link, heres the link from before
https://www.city-data.com/forum/illeg...obs-after.html

Old 07-16-2014, 09:39 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,909,481 times
New York and Orlando

Old 11-08-2014, 02:52 PM

218 posts, read 342,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua_Man View Post
Large Puerto Rican population- Puerto Ricans, like any other ethnic group, would feel more comfortable around other Puerto Ricans. Also a large enough Puerto Rican population, would bring about certain cultural amenities that only Puerto Ricans would see useful.
List of Puerto Rican-American communities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
list of cities/towns with large PR populations
NY metro has over 1 million
the metro areas of Orlando, Philly, Miami, Chicago, Tampa, and Boston also have tons of Puerto Ricans

Old 07-11-2015, 03:42 PM

218 posts, read 342,323 times
Currently theres a 2nd big migration of Puerto Ricans to the mainland (first one was in the 1950s n 60s mostly to the northeast). Now in this second migration wave, which started in the early-mid 2000s and has only accelerated since then. I would say the states receiving the most Puerto Rican migrants from 2005-2015 , are :

About 35-40% going to the state of Florida alone.
1. Florida
About another 55-60% are going to these states.
2. Pennsylvania
3. New York
4. Massachusetts
5. Connecticut
6. New Jersey
7. Texas
8. Virginia
9. Ohio
10. Georgia
11. North Carolina
12. California
13. Maryland
14. Illinois
15. Wisconsin
About 5% are going to the rest of the nation, especially states like Delaware, Rhode Island, Hawaii, South Carolina, Tennessee, Indiana, Arizona, and Nevada to name a few, but basically anywhere with a good economy mainly.

The first major migration was almost entirely centered on New York and the northeast, this second major migration wave is centered predominantly on Florida, but is a bit more spread out.

On another note, there is still few Puerto Rican Americans moving out of the Northeast corridor into the South atlantic region, but i would there is higher in-migration of Puerto Ricans from the island to the northeast then out-migration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City