Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state has the best mountains?
Colorado 132 30.28%
California 101 23.17%
Nevada 7 1.61%
West Virginia 20 4.59%
New York 11 2.52%
Other 165 37.84%
Voters: 436. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 07:29 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,946 times

Advertisements

Alaska. In the lower 48, Washington. Neither state is included (specifically) in this poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 10:27 PM

157 posts, read 296,652 times
Washington State!!
It truly has the most beautiful mountains I have ever seen!!
with a view of Mount Rainier so high and majestic.. it's beautiful!

California would come second it has a wide range of mountain ranges in most of the state.
Northern Cal very forested like much of the Northwest.

Western North Carolina I got to say is beautiful too.. mountains are too tall compared to the West Coast but still very nice and it's the tallest of the East.

Haven't been to Colorado but I am wanting to go very bad!

Old 07-11-2014, 03:36 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,708,082 times
Alaska
Colorado
New Mexico

BOOM!

Old 07-13-2014, 05:41 AM

358 posts, read 470,742 times
Alaska.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:19 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,406,517 times
New York and West VA are on this poll but Vermont and NH are not???? VT & NH have the best mountain scenery in the east of the Rockies hands down! The 802 represents!

Old 07-15-2014, 06:06 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Alaska. In the lower 48, Washington. Neither state is included (specifically) in this poll.

And Mt. Hood in Oregon,plus I loved Tucson,AZ being surrounded by mountains.I've also seen fabulous pics of New Mexico's mountains.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:49 PM

16 posts, read 24,201 times
Reviving an older thread I found interesting.

A long time lurker--first time posting here so please be kind

I'm not sure that a blanket statement is worthy, since many of the states have individual ranges which are spectacular. For me, I have spent the bulk of my time in the Alps--so I'm a fan of tall jagged summits with deep green valleys. Alp (for those who might not know) doesn't mountain, it is actually meadow or alpine pasture. You'll hear the word 'Alm' as well in referring to these meadows. So with that said, the mountains in the US I find particularly scenic are going to be as similar as it can get to the Alps.

I will show you some of my favorites in the Alps and then those in the US/Canada:

Villnöss, Südtirol (Dolomites)

Lauterbrunnen Valley, Switzerland (Bernese Alps)

Hochkönig, Austria (Berchtesgaden Alps)

Logar Valley, Slovenia (Julian Alps)

Zugspitze, Germany (Bavarian Alps)

Okay, so here are some of mine in North America:

Alpine Lakes Wilderness, Washington (Cascades)

Lizard Range, British Columbia (Canadian Rockies)

Tetons, Wyoming (Rocky Mountains)

Eagle Cap Wilderness, Oregon (Wallowa Mountains)

Wind River Range, Wyoming (Rocky Mountains)

Hurricane Ridge, Washington (Olympic Mountains)

Ansel Adams Wilderness, California (Sierra Nevada)

Sawback Range, Alberta (Canadian Rockies)

Snake River Range, Idaho (Rocky Mountains)

Trinity Alps, California (Klamath Mountains)

San Juan Mountains, Colorado (Rocky Mountains)

While these North American mountains are stunning, I think there are a number of disadvantages some of them have in comparison to the Alps.

First, many are in remote area and just traveling to get to them is difficult.
Second, it is much colder and the climate overall more harsh in much of these mountains.
Third, there are far fewer meadows and thus much less transhumance than in the Alps. We love all the working dairies and cowbells ringing in the high alpine pastures during the summer. You just don't get much of that in North America.
Fourth, the elevation is typically much higher in the valleys than in Europe--thus less vertical rise. This makes the Alps overall more stunning to see in my opinion.
Fifth, the rain shadows created by some of these mountains is striking. Very arid and almost desert like along the eastern side. So they can be more brown and feel more barren than in the Alps.

So after this long-winded post, I will get to the answer of the original question asked. Which State Has the Best Mountains?

For me I would go with Washington. Probably because it comes closest to what I see as are the most beautiful mountains in the world: The Alps.

Last edited by valgunn; 11-24-2014 at 01:14 PM..

Old 11-24-2014, 02:16 PM

139 posts, read 221,688 times
Well, I'm from Colorado so it might seem bias but I well have to say Colorado. Head toward Colorado Springs, CO, or Woodland Park, CO, or even Estes Park, CO, or Vail, CO, and you will see what I mean.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:34 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,896 times
Well, I'm a native Coloradan and love the southern Rockies. I also think the Sierra and Cascade Ranges are gorgeous. However, the Alps, Alaska/Brooks Ranges, and the Canadian Rockies are in a league of their own. Truly something special.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:15 PM

515 posts, read 1,058,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Which state has the best mountains? Pics would be appreciated.
Well West Virginia and New York should even be in this contest. And to chose between Colorado, Nevada and California is tough. I'll have to go by the state which has the most impresive looking mountains. I like Mount Wilson and Wilson peak in Colorado. But California has some impressive stand alone mountains like Mount Eddy, Lassen Peak, Mammoth Mountain..and Mount Shasta in Northern California is freaking awesome!

http://themccloudblog.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Shasta-Road.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City