Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boise vs Albuquerque
Boise 43 41.35%
Albuquerque 61 58.65%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 12:25 PM

97 posts, read 172,736 times

Advertisements

I live right near albuquerque and I can tell you..it is NOT a place you'd want to move crime wise...crime everywhere even in the better areas of albuquerque...and of course, yes, if you like water you will not be happy in albuquerque
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 06:34 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
Albuquerque

Old 12-04-2016, 08:40 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,693 times
I think Boise wins. It is cleaner, safer, has a stronger economy of the two, has a lower cost of living, has a better downtown and is closer to a wider variety of outdoors things. Alb does score a bunch of style points for being unique and it isn't like it has a bad downtown or lacks outdoors things to do.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:18 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,510,918 times
Boise is one metro I haven't been to, but has come up a good bit in my studies and rankings. Very underrated indeed. Beautiful scenery and good economy. It's crime rate is better than Albuquerque's, which is quite high. My pick is Boise.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 947 times
Best downtown: Boise
Most eclectic: Albuquerque
Best scenery: Albuquerque
Economy:Boise
Climate: similar but ABQ gets the edge
Idaho vs New Mexico excursions: Too close to call

Boise's downtown is much more lively and continues to see development that makes it the focal point of the city. Although Albuquerque's downtown has some interesting developments, nice restaurants and coffee shops as well as occasional events at Civic Plaza, it is somewhat stagnant. A misguided attempt to curb crime and boost businesses by transforming 4th street from a pedestrian way to a street seemed to just cause the few businesses on it to close. Although Nob Hill and Old Town are lively and rich in character,I give Boise a point for a walkable, compact lively downtown.

Other than the Basque population in Boise and Mexican population to the west (68% in Wilder), Boise has extremely little diversity. Although Albuquerque's diversity isn't like Jersey City or Oakland, their substantial Hispanic and Native American populations make it much more diverse than Boise. Boise has some great restaurants and a few Basque specialities that are easy to find like Paella and croqettas, but lack a distinct cuisine. Albuquerque has great restaurants and a distinct and wonderful cuisine. But don't make me choose between huckleberries and green chile. Boise also is lacking in cultural ammenities. Although the people are quirky and artsy, the museums and galleries in and around Albuquerque are far more numerous and impressive. Boise has some distinct neighborhoods with different people. The Bench is where most of Boise's diversity and ethnic markets are. I heard a professor at a lecture describe the discernible difference in neighborhoods through vehicles suggesting a pickup with dirt bikes to more likely be from West Boise while a Subaru with a Thule carrier is probably from the North End. But despite some slight differences in neighborhoods after seeing downtown and the small Hyde Park which has a very similar vibe you've pretty much exhausted poking through neighborhoods. Albuquerque's linear Nob Hill is eclectic on its own. You can have great French cuisine, shop for antiques, get tequila and tacos, browse second hand clothes in and amongst old gas stations and route 66 motels. You can find great food and art in the small but packed old town with its beautiful square and meandering alleys.

Driving up to Bogus on a foggy winter day is magical, watching the sunset from Table Rock is breathtaking and drifting down the Boise River in the summer is incredibly peaceful, but Boise's scenery doesn't compare to Albuquerque. Unlike Boise's modest mountains, the Sandias tower a mile above Albuquerque. The sunsets that turn them beautiful shades of pink and make for some of the most gorgeous sunsets. Their backdrop from the cottonwood lined Rio Grande when it's really flowing is also impressive.

I can't pick a winner for excursions. The mountains in New Mexico and Idaho are spectacular, there are great hot springs in both. White Sands is one of my favorite places and though Bruneau Dunes doesn't compare, its height is pretty impressive. Craters of the Moon not surprisingly is other worldly, but than again El Malpais and Ah Shi Sle Pah are too. Hell's Canyon though not as impressive is deeper than the Grand Canyon. Both states have beautiful gems in the mountains like the South Fork of the Jemez in New Mexico and hidden in the dessert like Black Magic Canyon in Idaho.

The two cities are fairly similar in terms of size of downtown, outdoor recreation and climate. Albuquerque has a richer culture. I prefer Boise's compact and lively feel and more recreational opportunities within city limits however. They are both great cities if not a little small and I have enjoyed living in both.

Last edited by sarta22; 12-12-2016 at 09:28 PM..

Old 12-12-2016, 08:56 PM

520 posts, read 611,129 times
Wonderful post, Sarta, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City