Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 11:03 AM

31 posts, read 134,863 times

Advertisements

I am a Portland Or. native and very sick of the rain! Anyone else move from PDX to ABQ and are so happy they did? I've lived in Phoenix, and that city was just too hot in the summers, but I loved N. AZ. ABQ appeals to me because it's not a large metro area, the weather is relatively dry, and there are 4 seasons-unlike Phoenix. Portland is a great city, but extremely expensive and OR tax structure needs some serious help. How are the income/sales taxes in ABQ NM? Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 11:16 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Albuquerque IS very dry. If there were no people here planting and watering trees, this brown city would be a LOT browner.

There are 4 seasons, but spring and fall (the best seasons around here) are unfortunately brief while winter is neutered by many standards.
(and that may be a good thing for you). Summer is hot but manageable. Temps hit the 90's for about 4-5 months out of the year.

People talk about "skiing in the morning and golf in the afternoon" which is great if you like lame skiing conditions and/or a 3-hour drive and playing golf in near-freezing temps (which many golfers do :-)

On the bright side, if you hate rain, Albuquerque racks up about a third of the yearly rainfall total of Portland in a GOOD year (about 10 inches).

ABQConvict

Old 01-05-2008, 01:58 PM

145 posts, read 481,340 times
Hi and welcome to the forum.
After growing up in Portland and living in Seattle for a total of 46 yrs I can say you will love the weather. The culture. Um. IT SUX. The hidden under the surface funky New Mexico is cool. The crime statistics, Hillbilly politics, and business mentality take some getting used to. The total and complete lack of an arts scene, the question "would you like green chili on that" that comes with everything you order make for a simple texas feel. flame bait said, you are also compairing apples and oranges here. Portland has more going on than any city its size. Were it not for the rain I would be in Portland till i die. Will I stay in ABQ? YES for the weather. Come on out I need more portlanders here, I think you will love it. There is a big arts scene in Santa Fe only 40 min away.
Madrid is a cool little arts town 45 min away. There is much to discover in NM. Also ABQ is not the only town in New Mexico if ti dosent suite your needs im sure somewhere will.

Best of luck

Old 01-05-2008, 02:37 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,916,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghoo View Post
lack of an arts scene, the question "would you like green chili on that" that comes with everything you order make for a simple texas feel.
I don't really understand this comment. Texas doesn't have Green Chile. New Mexico Red and Green Chile are pretty much only in New Mexico. You really can't find them in Mexico, Arizona, Texas, Colorado, etc. It is a New Mexico thing, especially Green chile.

Also, I don't really understand your art scene comments. There are tons of art galleries and museums in this city. Perhaps you just haven't explored deep enough in. Hell most restaurants are like an art gallery (eg The Frontier, Milly's on Jefferson, etc.)

Anyway, I agree that I think the poster will love Albuquerque.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:50 PM

yes, i think i would LOVE green chili, although haven't had any from New Mexico, that style of food is my absolute favorite. as far as art, well, art is the eye of the beholder there are some famous artists from NM over Oregon (o'Keefe, Gorman to name a couple). still trying to convince my husband, he's definitely willing to visit. thank you for your input!

Old 01-07-2008, 12:01 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVioletMama View Post
I am a Portland Or. native and very sick of the rain! Anyone else move from PDX to ABQ and are so happy they did? I've lived in Phoenix, and that city was just too hot in the summers, but I loved N. AZ. ABQ appeals to me because it's not a large metro area, the weather is relatively dry, and there are 4 seasons-unlike Phoenix. Portland is a great city, but extremely expensive and OR tax structure needs some serious help. How are the income/sales taxes in ABQ NM? Thanks for any input.
I am moving this month from Olympia to New Mexico--working in Santa Fe so will be looking in ABQ to buy a house where I can eventually take the Rail Runner to work. I lived in Santa Fe for eight years before coming here four and a half years ago. Too much rain for me here even though the summers are the best anywhere--long days--mild temperatures. I'm looking forward to sunny and dry and when it does rain--celebrate instead of celebrating when the sun comes out. It is difficult to compare Portland and ABQ--very different. I'd like to visit Powells one more time before leaving. What a treasure! I liked Portland----it is one city I thought of moving except you still have the rain and the cost of living is too high.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:50 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,077,265 times
jghoo repeated:

> ... the question "would you like green chili on that" ....

Correction:

The question is "red or green?" You don't have to say the word chile.

One of the reasons I live here is to hear them say that.

One of the proper responses is "which one is hotter today?"

Old 01-11-2008, 04:45 PM

5 posts, read 22,415 times
Default opposite

I'm actually thinking of doing the opposite. I grew up and Albuquerque, lived in CA for 5 years and am back for the time being. Thinking of moving to Portland sometime in '08 for the culture, the beer, the green, and water. Will miss ABQ for the food, the weather, the golf 9 months a year, and sunsets.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:50 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,077,265 times
ABQConvict mentioned:

> Albuquerque IS very dry. If there were no people here planting
> and watering trees, this brown city would be a LOT browner.

Ahem: Here in the desert we have "Earth-tones" more than we have "brown."

Green is an accent rather than a color scheme.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelg11 View Post
I'm actually thinking of doing the opposite. I grew up and Albuquerque, lived in CA for 5 years and am back for the time being. Thinking of moving to Portland sometime in '08 for the culture, the beer, the green, and water. Will miss ABQ for the food, the weather, the golf 9 months a year, and sunsets.
You will definitely have your share of green and water here, but don't forget about the gray either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City