Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 09:02 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
"Sought After" is very age specific. Like I said to Prelude91, this building is the most sought after building for young people right now. That's why it was voted #1 in D.C. It's probably not the type of building someone in their late 30's or 40's would be dyeing to move to, but people in their 20's and early 30's, everyone is talking about this building. It's the #1 roof top experience in the city right now.
Sought after is very easy actually.

$$$$$$

I found condo units in DC for sale in the $5 Millon range, something tells me those buildings are more sought after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 09:03 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlcc View Post
why do you prefer an outdoor rooftop pool over an indoor one? An indoor one you can use year round and tend to offer better views than rooftop pools, and once you are past certain heights it gets very windy.

Well, D.C. only goes up to 14 stories across the city, so the views are awesome for every building pretty much. That is unique to D.C. so it's probably a local thing. Also, outdoor pools are better for hosting guests and partying. The First and M pool is heated so it's open all year round. You would have to spend a spring or summer in D.C. to see what the roof top pool life is like in a city like D.C. versus cities with skyscrapers. It's probably very unique to D.C. because of the way the buildings are laid out. Things like wind is not a problem because buildings don't create wind tunnels. Also, there are no shadows.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:04 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,781 times
Quote:
The First and M building caters to the younger crowd seeking modern luxury. The amenities are things the generation Y values more so than older people most likely. You get more of the no car subway riding, Capital Bikeshare using, pet friendly type of clientele in a building like this. The building in Chicago seems like it would cater to people who are older wanting a more quiet urban lifestyle. The noise and partying that goes on in the NOMA building is everything but quiet and serine.

I would think the people in the Chicago building would live in Georgetown. Georgetown, however, is not modern or innovative. While room service is nice, it's not modern nor is it innovative. It has been around for centuries in the form of maids. I am talking more so about futuristic design and innovative additions. Most of the buildings people have listed aren't really innovative either. I think people may be getting this thread confused with something else. Remember, this was the criteria of the thread:

completely agree. I was referenced upscale because the title of the thread was most modern and upscale. I would say the second building I linked, 1225 Old Town is probably a better Chicago comparison to First and M or the New AMLI River North which is still under construction.

EDIT: After doing a little research, I think AMLI River North may be on par with First and M; hard to tell though since it isn't completed yet, but here is a list of amenities:

http://www.amli.com/apartments/chica...orth/ebrochure

Old 04-17-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Sought after is very easy actually.

$$$$$$

I found condo units in DC for sale in the $5 Millon range, something tells me those buildings are more sought after.

By who? Young people don't really want to live near old people that complain about noise etc. I'm telling you as a D.C. resident, there is a major separation between the old people in D.C. and the young people.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:15 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,781 times
Quote:
By who? Young people don't really want to live near old people that complain about noise etc. I'm telling you as a D.C. resident, there is a major separation between the old people in D.C. and the young people.
It's like that in Chicago and NYC as well; somewhat at the neighborhood level, but more so at the building level. River North (which is probably what City Center/NoMa will eventually function as) is mostly home to late 20's and early/mid 30's crowd; but definitely has buildings that are know to be "older" as far as demographics.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
completely agree. I was referenced upscale because the title of the thread was most modern and upscale. I would say the second building I linked, 1225 Old Town is probably a better Chicago comparison to First and M or the New AMLI River North which is still under construction.

EDIT: After doing a little research, I think AMLI River North may be on par with First and M; hard to tell though since it isn't completed yet, but here is a list of amenities:

http://www.amli.com/apartments/chica...orth/ebrochure
Right, much better comparison.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
It's like that in Chicago and NYC as well; somewhat at the neighborhood level, but more so at the building level. River North (which is probably what City Center/NoMa will eventually function as) is mostly home to late 20's and early/mid 30's crowd; but definitely has buildings that are know to be "older" as far as demographics.
Agreed, NOMA, Penn Quarter, Mt Vernon Triangle, Atlas District, and Northwest One are definetly going to be the intensely young concentration in the city. U street, DuPont Circle, Logan Circle, Columbia Heights, Adams Morgan has more of the mixed age population with young and old mixed together.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Noise? You act as if people in the cruise ship building are frat boys or something.

Of course there is a generational difference in interests, please rest assured that this is not a DC-only phenom. LOL

OTOH, Empty nesters are among the biggest buyers of new urban condos in the country.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:22 AM

176 posts, read 174,829 times
This ridiculous confection is now under construction in Miami Beach

Porsche Design Tower is a majestic cylindrical 57-story building, located on 200 feet of sugar sand frontage, overlooking the Atlantic Ocean,” says Chiuz. “The most remarkable feature that the building will offer is a robotic car elevator that will take residents directly to their units while they remain seated in their cars. Residents will simply need to drive up with their car and shut the engine off; a robotic arm will place their car into a glass elevator and straight to the front door of their residences.”
“The three-story lobby uniquely appoints to a full glass observatory of the robotic car lift. A lobby level restaurant enclosed in glass will provide private wine lockers for each residence. A lobby-level bar lounge with ocean views, showcasing a large screen television and a monumental fireplace enhance a unique living experience for its residents,” continues Chiuz. “Most residences have a private swimming pool and a summer kitchen on their oversized terraces.”
[LEFT]
Read more: Interinvestments Realty, the Foremost Real Estate Firm, Announces that New-Construction Properties are Hot in the South Florida Marketplace - Press Release - Digital Journal

video:

Porsche Design Tower Miami - YouTube

[/LEFT]

Old 04-17-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobchbud1 View Post
This ridiculous confection is now under construction in Miami Beach

Porsche Design Tower is a majestic cylindrical 57-story building, located on 200 feet of sugar sand frontage, overlooking the Atlantic Ocean,” says Chiuz. “The most remarkable feature that the building will offer is a robotic car elevator that will take residents directly to their units while they remain seated in their cars. Residents will simply need to drive up with their car and shut the engine off; a robotic arm will place their car into a glass elevator and straight to the front door of their residences.”
“The three-story lobby uniquely appoints to a full glass observatory of the robotic car lift. A lobby level restaurant enclosed in glass will provide private wine lockers for each residence. A lobby-level bar lounge with ocean views, showcasing a large screen television and a monumental fireplace enhance a unique living experience for its residents,” continues Chiuz. “Most residences have a private swimming pool and a summer kitchen on their oversized terraces.”
[LEFT]
Read more: Interinvestments Realty, the Foremost Real Estate Firm, Announces that New-Construction Properties are Hot in the South Florida Marketplace - Press Release - Digital Journal
video:

Porsche Design Tower Miami - YouTube

[/LEFT]
I believe we may have a winner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City