Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 12:48 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
So far DC takes this.
I'll post more later.
Was the intention of this thread to have people just agree with you?

I'll add Miami to the list of contenders. Its Wynwood District has an amazing collection of murals by some of the best mural artists in the World. It also has an outdoor park called the Wynwood Walls which is essentially an outdoor gallery of mural art.

http://thewynwoodwalls.com/About/

Last edited by rnc2mbfl; 01-18-2013 at 02:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 10:12 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Was the intention of this thread to have people just agree with you?

I'll add Miami to the list of contenders. Its Wynwood District has an amazing collection of murals by some of the best mural artists in the World. It also has an outdoor park called the Wynwood Walls which is essentially an outdoor gallery of mural art.

The Wynwood Walls - Graffiti Art, Art Basel, Urban Art, Miami, Street Art
I agree! there is nothing in the southeast comparable to the Wynwood Walls in Miami.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:43 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,026,930 times
I wish, I wish I had some murals in Las Vegas to upload, but this city is very anti-mural, anti-grafitti, way too conservative for this kind of art work, even though this city has hundreds of miles of walls/canvasses for mural art.

This city spends $30 million a year erasing any and all grafitti/mural art, even the best of the best, which I've seen! Someone, 6 months ago, dared to have a mural put along a wall on Flamingo Road, alongside their house, and I all but lost control of my vehicle seeing it, and then? 2 weeks later, the grafitti squad came along and painted over it with grey paint, to match the rest of the walls on that street!

I love public mural art, anywhere I travel, and it would give me a reason to relocate to one of these cities where there's so much of it.

So if mural art is what you're looking for when traveling to a city, don't put Las Vegas on your travel list then!

Old 01-21-2013, 09:27 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,272,481 times
We need to at least establish that there is a difference between Street Art and Graffiti. Graffiti is tagging. I just think by modern convention street art is pretty much murals via spray paint.

I vote LA. Mexicans are mural ninjas -- I'm looking a you Diego Rivera.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:02 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,312 times
The best city for murals in my opinion is Miami.

wynwood walls | Tumblr

Old 01-21-2013, 11:14 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,026,930 times
Not all tagging is undesirable, it all depends on the colors used.

Some taggers went thru my neighborhood one night and used bright purple, splashed here and there! On a stretch of highway in north Las Vegas bright pink was used, splashed here and there. I've also seen bright orange used, and with that type of tagging they're forgiven for their sins! It all but competes with mural art!

But has it been proven, to any degree, cities that allow street murals that the tagging is then reduced?

Old 01-22-2013, 11:55 AM

176 posts, read 174,682 times
It's arguable whether the mural collection in Miami's Wynwood District may or may not be the largest in the US. If the volume isn't already the largest, then it soon will be as it grows by the week and gets an exponential injection of new work every year during Art Basel Miami Beach. There is no accurate inventory, and a lot of it is informal or guerrilla work in some obscure locations. There is no question that the District has the most concentrated work in a single area, the fastest growing, and presently the most cutting edge. I work in Wynwood and I'm constantly discovering new (at least to me) and interesting work every time go down a new alley or walk by the railroad tracks. The District is in transition and remains an emerging neighborhood, so "treading off the beaten path" is still a little sketchy, but it can be rewarding.

A Google image search for "Wynwood Murals" turns up thousands of images.

The Wynwood Walls are turning into a bonafide attraction.

Here's a slideshow of the more informal work - Wynwood Street Art - Miami - Slideshows

A cool YouTube video - Miami Art Basel 2012 - Wynwood Art District - street graffiti - YouTube

Old 01-22-2013, 06:50 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,112,435 times
Los Angeles

Old 01-22-2013, 11:11 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobchbud1 View Post
It's arguable whether the mural collection in Miami's Wynwood District may or may not be the largest in the US. If the volume isn't already the largest, then it soon will be as it grows by the week and gets an exponential injection of new work every year during Art Basel Miami Beach. There is no accurate inventory, and a lot of it is informal or guerrilla work in some obscure locations. There is no question that the District has the most concentrated work in a single area, the fastest growing, and presently the most cutting edge. I work in Wynwood and I'm constantly discovering new (at least to me) and interesting work every time go down a new alley or walk by the railroad tracks. The District is in transition and remains an emerging neighborhood, so "treading off the beaten path" is still a little sketchy, but it can be rewarding.
I believe it's less than Philly in terms of total numbers. It's definitely more concentrated.

I recommend the area to everyone, although a warning is necessary. When I went to O-Cinema, they told me it wasn't safe to park off the main street. Also, I saw someone get his bike stolen in broad daylight (not so bad, but I've never seen that before).

Old 01-27-2013, 02:34 PM

735 posts, read 1,129,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It would not be DC. Of all the murals you posted, I only recognize the third one, and I feel like I know DC like the back of my hand. Philly has many more and should probably win the title for both best and worst murals in the USA.
Haha agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
All of the pics I've posted are all DC and I'm only getting started. I'm a DC native born and raised so I know the city better then you. Also DC beats Philly in this category.
Not even remotely.

Philadelphia is hands down the mural capital of the US, no matter what any other cities want to think about themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City