Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City vs San Francisco
New York 310 56.36%
San Francisco 240 43.64%
Voters: 550. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 07:24 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,039 times

Advertisements

Both are great. Even though New York is probably on another level in terms of everything that it has, when it comes to choosing which one to live in, I think it's close for someone like me in the technology sector. I'd probably have to flip a coin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 02:09 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Depends on what you like I guess - but few cities have the wow factor of New York. Really does any city have the wow factor of NYC. I doubt it. New York!
Chicago might. It has a massive downtown area that feels like NYC in some ways.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:21 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Chicago might. It has a massive downtown area that feels like NYC in some ways.
Although I like Chicago a lot...definitely not. NYC runs circles around every other city in terms of massive urban feel, including Chicago. While having a wow factor ,Chicago is way closer to say, Philly, DC, or SF than it is NYC. The area in NYC that is super dense, skyscrapers, etc. is probably 4-5x larger than Chicago's in actual size and feel. from 59th ave to 110th flanking both sides of central park alone is physically larger and more built up than all of the loop and river north from roosevelt road to north avenue... and you haven't even got to midtown or lower manhattan yet, nor brooklyn dt over the bridge. Brooklyn alone has almost the same amount of people as all of Chicago, 2.7 mil... to 2.5 mil in brooklyn and most people who visit nyc don't even step foot there.

Last edited by grapico; 02-01-2013 at 02:39 PM..

Old 02-01-2013, 03:57 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
In almost every measurable way - NYC is simply on top.. not just between S.F but on top of pretty much every other city on the planet.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:19 PM

778 posts, read 998,046 times
I voted NYC but urbanity isnt everything.

The geography of SF mops the floor with NYC, which for a lot of people, is a big part of their quality of life. SF lacks 4 seasons though. Simply not large enough either.

The beauty, vibe and scenery factor are definitely ahead of NYC though. Not much else.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:04 AM

735 posts, read 1,129,640 times
New York for everything but scenery.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:16 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Maybe NYC with its great wealth can build a giant climate controlled tent over all of Manhattan.

I seriously would like the world's largest greenhouse with a tiki bar in NYC for the winter. Maybe somewhere in Queens?

Old 02-26-2013, 01:02 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
quality of life: San Francisco

jobs: San Francisco has lower unemployment and faster job growth, still it depends on the industry tho

family: They both have great family areas but overall, SF

eating out: San Francisco but New York is like the food capital of the world---still SF tho

recreational: SF

scenery: SF

culture: NYC

transportation: NYC has more public transit

traffic: NYC has worse traffic

costs: SF is less expensive, this is like the only time I can say that for any city in North America which is hilarious.

attractions: Tied

Old 02-26-2013, 02:03 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
quality of life: San Francisco

jobs: San Francisco has lower unemployment and faster job growth, still it depends on the industry tho

family: They both have great family areas but overall, SF

eating out: San Francisco but New York is like the food capital of the world---still SF tho

recreational: SF

scenery: SF

culture: NYC

transportation: NYC has more public transit

traffic: NYC has worse traffic

costs: SF is less expensive, this is like the only time I can say that for any city in North America which is hilarious.

attractions: Tied
Jobs-wise, I'd say a lot of that unemployment in NYC is the large segment of the population entrenched in poverty and generally don't have the skill set to be employed while the city/state manages to subsidize a lot of expenses. Generally for anyone who isn't part of that vicious cycle, jobs are pretty easy to come by.

I'll disagree with you on attractions, recreation and scenery to some extent for me personally though that's a matter of personal preferences. I think there's simply more to do in NYC and having mass transit into the hills, beaches, and valleys (as well as a lot more events to attend) makes NYC a lot better for recreation for me. The scenery in NYC is much based on the juxtaposition of the historic and quaint, the modern and overwhelming, and the numerous waterways and parks that fill the city. It's definitely a very different sort of scenery.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:05 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
I'm still not understanding how people say New York has no natural scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City