Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2015, 06:30 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times

Advertisements

The real question is: in which city can you see Shakespeare on the Common?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 08:22 AM

14,014 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Cute.

Again, there are lots of players in these industry areas, particularly on a global level. I'll readily admit that Boston does better than Philly on several global metrics, but to suggest that Philly's very large and diverse metro economy doesn't give it a strong advantage is just silly. While still behind Boston, Philly ranks 4th in the US in terms of cumulative NIH funding over the past 20 years. On a per capita basis, it definitely ranks ahead of LA and NY:

The Needlessly Inscrutable Geography of Scientific Funding - CityLab

I think the bottom line is that the economic restructuring that is going on in Philly is still generally under the radar, but it's definitely occurring. The right ingredients absolutely exist in the city (e.g., strong academic/research institutions, strong cultural scene, a very competitive coastal location, and relative affordability) to allow it to re-emerge as one of the nation's absolute prime business/entrepreneurial capitals, and I have no doubt that this will occur in the next couple of decades.
Boston and Philly pretty much have all the same strengths while Boston is ahead in healthcare, Education, biotech, Philly leads in Pharma, trade, and retained more blue collar work.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:45 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,688,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Boston and Philly pretty much have all the same strengths while Boston is ahead in healthcare, Education, biotech, Philly leads in Pharma, trade, and retained more blue collar work.
Trust me, I think a lot of Philadelphians love Boston, so it's a little strange to see so much hate and animosity towards Philadelphia coming from Bostonites especially on this forum. Boston definitely had a longer head start on Philadelphia. Boston really started turning around in the 70s-80s. Philadelphia didn't start turning around until the 90s and really didn't hit it's stride until the 2000s, so Boston really has a good few decades on Philadelphia in it's turn around. I think both have a very bright future, but I really think we're going to see Philadelphia really accelerate over the next decade. There is a ton of potential, and as Center City, University City and the Navy Yard continue to build up and become three large employment centers and innovation centers, we're really going to see a completely transformed city, and to a certain extent we're already seeing that happen right before our eyes. If the Philadelphia and Pennsylvania governments could just get their act together and pass legislation for more business friendly taxes, we would see a transformation much faster.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:01 AM

135 posts, read 175,189 times
That is true.

Business taxes in Philadelphia play a major major part.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,396 times
I live in philadelphia and love the city very much. It has very nice neighborhoods and the food is great. There is no shortage of cheesesteaks and fabulous cheeseburger places everywhere in the city. The historical areas andRittenhouse square are amazing. Now my family and I just visited Boston for the first time over the summer. Loved it. History, scenery,food, Faneiul Hall, pretty much the whole experience. The Boston accent on our bus tour guide would have made Cliff Claven jealous. That was something we were split over . Me and my son loved the accent and I think my wife did too my daughter hated it and found it annoying. We can't wait to go back. I feel both cities are awesome and worth visiting . I give the nod to my home town cause well, it's my home town, I'm loyal to my home and teams. Although ironically one of the things I thought was awesome about Boston was the loyalty of the people there. There was nothing but Patriots and Red Sox clothing to be seen . I was impressed , not like the fraud cowboys fans that walk around in Philly. Disgraceful.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:06 AM

1,122 posts, read 923,638 times
best cities in America

New York
Chicago
Boston
San Francisco
Philadelphia
LA
San Diego
Miami in Jan/Feb/March ok

If you ain't here, you're on the outside looking in.

(I could say your life blows but that would be kinda snarky).

In any particular order on any particular day (depending on the swell)...

Pitted in Brooklyn, (last weekend) yo.

http://www.surfline.com/video/variab...an-24th_135430

Old 02-01-2016, 09:23 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
The real question is: in which city can you see Shakespeare on the Common?
Is Shakespeare really a win for Boston, though? Montgomery, Alabama of all places has a pretty renowned Shakespeare Festival, for instance.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
This is so difficult. My two favorite American cities after New York.
I love Philly for its grittiness, culture (foods, general attitude, accent), and proximity to Washington D.C., Baltimore, and New York. I love Boston for its colonial architecture, rowhouses, history, accent, tidiness, thriftiness, and density.

I would have to choose Boston by a slight margin, but I have to say these are two fine cities.

Cause Philadelphia totally lacks in colonial architecture, rowhouses, history, accent and density.

Hahahaha

It has more than Boston does.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:59 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,344 times
Oh I hope this can stay respectful. Too many on one side? Seem to take post as slighting their city and lash out.

I hope it stays civil as it deserves.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:26 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
It's easily Philadelphia for me. I like Boston, but I really love Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City