Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 11:35 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,132,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Are you seriously afraid to walk four blocks? Give me a break.

Again, your particular neighborhood is not the norm. In my neighborhood, in the same city, I'm within walking distance of at least a dozen restaurants alone.

Seriously, it's not that far.

The problem with you density folks is that you are so black and white. If it's not like whatever you hold to be the best, then it doesn't exist at all.

Why don't you just go now? You staying here is pretty much a drain anyway since you have nothing to offer but complaints, so it's no loss on our part. We'll keep chugging forward towards what we want/need to be.
That explains why every week on the walls of GSu's campus, there's an alrert about a robbery that occured in the nighttime. Because there's no one looking because there is no one walking out.

You still don't get it. It's downtown, supposely the most urban part of the city, yet, I have to walk far for a resturant scene, 3/4 of them closed after 6? That's not urbanity then. I bet you if I go to downtown Chicago, LA, or Midtown Manhattan, you can find a resturant 5 minutes from wherever you live...no matter what. Urbanity should be in all parts of the city, not in just one area.

As I said, I need to finish my bachelor's degree, then I'm getting out of here. Don't worry. I won't miss Atlanta either. I'll be happy in a city that you can truly call urban while you're here boosting Atlanta about being an urban city when that's far from the truth and most people on this forum know that hence why Atlanta was voted the most overrated city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 11:39 AM

Btw, I love the reputation comment you or whoever gave me. I'm not jaded. Far from it. It's funny when you tell the truth and blast Atlanta(I lived in the city so I know best), the Atlanta posters want to try to blast you as if you are telling lies.

Quote:
take your jaded ass to rat infested NYC or SF and when u move trust u would learn to appreciate Atlanta u ungrateful bytch. Im pretty sure u will miss your central air and heat.
Learn to appreciate Atlanta? I live in LA for 12 years and loved it much more then Atlanta. I just visited back in August. Compare their downtown to ours. Big difference. They might have a few parking lots, but it is much more urban. All Atlanta has going on is an airport. A big airport. Other then that, whatever you cna find in Atlanta, you can find elsewhere...there's nothing unique about it.

Don't see how you can be ungrateful for not liking a city LOL. People make me laugh hard.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:40 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,186,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Actually Atlanta's urbanized area density is 2,420 ppsm (4.75 million in 1,963 sq.mi. Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) Still the lowest, but not by much.

Density alone doesn't define urbanity.
I agree.....just throwing some info at you. I don't know why our figures are different but mine came directly from another thread here in C-D.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
I would say 3rd IMO, you could be in hickville real quick in chicago, same can't be said of the BAY
If you have spent time in both cities you'd realize how stupid that sounds! Again, it's just my family that I'm using as a reference as that's the best barometer I have, but NONE of them think SF feels bigger than Chicago. In fact, one of their favorite aspects about SF vs. Chicago is that it's not as loud, not as busy, not as in-your-face, and is a happy compromise between Chicago and a non-worldly city.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:49 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
is a happy compromise between Chicago and a non-worldly city.
What?

Old 09-12-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
What?
I'm gonna need a little bit more than that....

Old 09-12-2012, 02:03 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,031,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
That explains why every week on the walls of GSu's campus, there's an alrert about a robbery that occured in the nighttime. Because there's no one looking because there is no one walking out.

You still don't get it. It's downtown, supposely the most urban part of the city, yet, I have to walk far for a resturant scene, 3/4 of them closed after 6? That's not urbanity then. I bet you if I go to downtown Chicago, LA, or Midtown Manhattan, you can find a resturant 5 minutes from wherever you live...no matter what. Urbanity should be in all parts of the city, not in just one area.

As I said, I need to finish my bachelor's degree, then I'm getting out of here. Don't worry. I won't miss Atlanta either. I'll be happy in a city that you can truly call urban while you're here boosting Atlanta about being an urban city when that's far from the truth and most people on this forum know that hence why Atlanta was voted the most overrated city.
Dude, you're posting a lot of falseness. If you don't like Atlanta that's fine, but there is no need to make up garbage about the city. Just move on and try to be happy elsewhere.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Dude, you're posting a lot of falseness. If you don't like Atlanta that's fine, but there is no need to make up garbage about the city. Just move on and try to be happy elsewhere.
Make up garbage? Why would I need to make up stuff LOL? Everything I said was correct.

-Most restaurants close by 6 in downtown.
-Downtown and Midtown are by far the two most prevalent urban scenes in Atlanta.
-Atlanta in it's core, especially in Downtown is dangerous to walk at night.
-People aren't walking at night in Downtown.
-Midtown is closest to being truly urban. It still has ways to go, but probably my most favorite part of the city.
-No grocery store in downtown.
-Downtown and Midtown is full of parking lots.

It's not like I'm a poster in New york who is someone who has never lived here and going simply based on pictures. I actually lived in the downtown area for 2 years....I have more experience then YOU DO about what downtown/midtown is like. You are trying to tell me I'm making this stuff up?

Atlanta has a nice skyline, but that's about it.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:08 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,031,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Make up garbage? Why would I need to make up stuff LOL? Everything I said was correct.

-Most restaurants close by 6 in downtown.
-Downtown and Midtown are by far the two most prevalent urban scenes in Atlanta.
-Atlanta in it's core, especially in Downtown is dangerous to walk at night.
-People aren't walking at night in Downtown.
-Midtown is closest to being truly urban. It still has ways to go, but probably my most favorite part of the city.
-No grocery store in downtown.
-Downtown and Midtown is full of parking lots.

It's not like I'm a poster in New york who is someone who has never lived here and going simply based on pictures. I actually lived in the downtown area for 2 years....I have more experience then YOU DO about what downtown/midtown is like. You are trying to tell me I'm making this stuff up?

Atlanta has a nice skyline, but that's about it.
You have more experience than I do? I didn't know you knew me so well...no, I'm afraid you don't have more experience than me, and you don't know what you're talking about here. You're making stuff up, more than likely because you didn't like Atlanta - I've seen it many times before on city-data. It's the same old song and dance...most of what you posted is not at all factual.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 09-13-2012 at 05:44 PM..

Old 09-13-2012, 06:25 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,661,305 times
I have never been to Minneapolis so I will leave it out in fairness. I lived in Detroit, Miami and currently live in Atlanta. I've been to Seattle a couple times as well as Phoenix. My ranking, and this is just based on "mindset" (trendy, energetic, pace of life)

1)Miami
2)Atlanta
3)Detroit
4)Seattle
5)Phoenix

Density is all well and good but it's not the entire picture or even the most important component.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City