Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 05:25 PM

886 posts, read 1,564,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I hope L.A. manhattenizes. It's only logical.
+1. Telling it like it is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 05:30 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
The problem is traffic is terrible in LA and is not going to get any better, ever. That fact alone is enough to get people out of their cars, and it shows in the ridership by mile of LA's existing transit and the fact that people voluntarily taxed themselves to expand the transit system (which required a 67% supermajority).
They extended MARTA in Atlanta and people still drive. There's little point in taking public transit if there's free or cheap parking. Nearly all public transit riders are "captive" either in the sense that they can't afford a car or they can't afford a limo and driver (or daily cab fare) to drop them off at their Midtown office. Do you think most people would take a train in New York if they had door-to-door car service (which is actually common among NYC law and banking firms for late night commutes).

Old 08-22-2012, 05:33 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
They extended MARTA in Atlanta and people still drive. There's little point in taking public transit if there's free or cheap parking. Nearly all public transit riders are "captive" either in the sense that they can't afford a car or they can't afford a limo and driver (or daily cab fare) to drop them off at their Midtown office.
I don't think this is true.

It also has nothing to do with with LA's crippling traffic being the main reason people will (and do, as evidenced just a few posts up) leave their cars at home. It also explains why LA has a pretty decent ridership per mile (though the Gold Line definitely dilutes it).

Old 08-22-2012, 05:33 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Prove it. Show me. Come on show me some visuals LOL. San Francisco the city is larger than DC in population, its twice as dense, and 50% less land area. Damn WOWOW! Should I be saying how we spank DC's arse to the back of the line? Ah now the metro argument, in 900 square miles the bay reaches a population of 6.5M and a uniform density that DC could only wish it had. WOW bend over, more spanking coming your way! It takes DC an urban area of 1,300 miles to even get half way through the 4M's. LOL

Beat this All sizes | San Francisco at Twilight | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This All sizes | Saint Francis @ Twilight | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This Birdseye view of San Francisco East Bay Area

This Birdseye view of San Jose: See where is SJC

Especially this All sizes | San Fransciso Bay Area

Then we'll talk. Prove yourself before you start talking about anyone kicking "San Francisco's ass". LOL

DC is just as nice and densely built:

DC Core
http://www.worldcityphotos.org/USA-D...r200411281.jpg

DC Core
http://www.worldcityphotos.org/USA-D...r200411282.jpg

DC Core
http://www.worldcityphotos.org/USA-D...r200411283.jpg

DC Core
http://www.worldcityphotos.org/USA-D...nickspics1.jpg

Old 08-22-2012, 05:34 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
in L.A., cant we have transit systems going along the boulevards? How about adding some Chicago L styled trains along some areas?

or the next best thing is to hire a team of Urban planners to stand by for WW3 when L.A. gets nuked and we can start from scratch :/

Old 08-22-2012, 05:36 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,419,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8loody View Post
L.A

• City 3,792,621
Area 502.693 sq mi

Chicago

• City 2,707,120
Area 234.0 sq mi

People brag about how huge L.A is but if you look at the city boundaries population and total area of the city, L.A isn't so big anymore. L.A without its suburbs is nothing.

Los Angeles official city limits incorporate most of the SFV and large portions of the Hollywood Hills, making it appear less dense than it is. If you took Central/South/East/and Southeast Los Angeles as defined here...Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

...you would get a 264 sq mile contigous area surrounding DTLA with a population over 3 million. So no, L.A. isn't big just because it incorporates a large area of land. That's "big suburb" wishful thinking BS. Truth is, the Los Angeles Basin is roughly 500 sq miles with a population over 5 million. That leaves Chicago in the dust.

I highly recommend you keep your the arguments confined to the relatively small areas surrounding your CBDs when you want to argue the size and scope of your city vs. Los Angeles. Because if you start getting into population density over a larger scale, unless you live in NYC, you'll lose badly.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
LA is a suburb.
DC boosters amuse me to no end. One even tried to slip that small town's name with London and Paris in urbanity. Get real.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
They extended MARTA in Atlanta and people still drive. There's little point in taking public transit if there's free or cheap parking. Nearly all public transit riders are "captive" either in the sense that they can't afford a car or they can't afford a limo and driver (or daily cab fare) to drop them off at their Midtown office. Do you think most people would take a train in New York if they had door-to-door car service (which is actually common among NYC law and banking firms for late night commutes).
Boy, you're really selling the transit lifestyle hard here.

You're captive! lmao.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:45 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
DC boosters amuse me to no end. One even tried to slip lump that small town's name with London and Paris. Get real.
LA isn't even in the same neighborhood as DC and San Fran in urbanity so I don't even know why you are trying to add LA into this conversation.

Driving cars comes at a price, it costs the ability to have urbanity!

http://www.worldcityphotos.org/USA-A...ickelweed1.jpg
http://www.worldcityphotos.org/USA-A...-DLeBlanc1.jpg

Old 08-22-2012, 05:50 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Plenty would (including a family member I know). Traffic is unpleasant and very slow during rush hour. Even if the speed was the same, many would rather sit on a commuter train and zone out after a hard's day work. My parents are scared of driving New York City; they're surprised I do.

Myself, the only time I drive in New York City is if there's a large speed difference. I enjoy not having to worry about the road, though the lack of convenient parking is an added plus. If I lived in Brooklyn, I would never want to drive to Union Square just to save a few minutes. Plus, if I walk around I can find another subway stop. With a car, I have to walk back to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City