Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 08:05 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,357,006 times

Advertisements

There's a whole ton of them in Chicago. Here's a few random ones I know of off the top of my head. The last one is the ugly building on the left.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 08:37 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,342,652 times
Much need for Downtown Cleveland. With occupancy rates of 97-98%, new housing conversions are arriving at the perfect time.

I have a few friends who have been on waiting lists over 6 months.

Also, you forgot these 84 apartments in this old gem of a building: More downtown Cleveland apartments planned; housing will fill 5 floors of Rosetta Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
With unprecedented, exponential growth re-shaping the city center of CLEVELAND, residential and property management companies are converting vacant skyscrapers and former office buildings into luxury, market rate apartments and condos.
Downtown Cleveland's residential occupancy rate is at 97% - with waiting lists for existing properties that are years long.

READ IT HERE:

Cleveland's inner city is growing faster than its suburbs as young adults flock downtown | cleveland.com

Feeling of resurgence sweeping through downtown Cleveland as the city seems poised for comeback

With apartments full, developers look for new rental opportunities in downtown Cleveland | cleveland.com

Here are a few examples in Cleveland ....

EAST OHIO GAS BUILDING - A CLASSIC 1959 GLASS CURTAINED, MODERNISTIC STYLE SKYSCRAPER
K&D Group plans to buy, remake East Ohio Building in downtown Cleveland as 223 apartments by 2014 (gallery) | cleveland.com

PHOTO GALLERY - RENDERINGS AND IMAGES OF HOW THE STRUCTURE APPEARS NOW, AND IN THE FUTURE.
Photos & Pictures | Photos from The Plain Dealer - cleveland.com

HANNA BUILDING ANNEX - HISTORIC EDIFICE LOCATED AT CELEBRATED "PLAYHOUSE SQUARE"

PlayhouseSquare to sell downtown Cleveland office building to the K&D Group for apartments | cleveland.com

PHOTOS:

EAST OHIO GAS BUILDING - photo courtesy of 1717 East Ninth Building | Buildings | EMPORIS

http://www.emporis.com/images/show/134494-Large.jpg

HANNA BUILDING ANNEX - photo courtesy of PlayhouseSquare to sell downtown Cleveland office building to the K&D Group for apartments | cleveland.com

http://media.cleveland.com/business_...03894cdde1.jpg

Old 08-18-2012, 08:54 AM

22,378 posts, read 39,180,110 times

Liberty 2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Liberty 2 above is like 60% residential now

These two are under way (or the first is about to be)
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Atlan...9.42,,0,-29.33

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Atlan...1.72,,0,-31.11

This is one that is an old office building getting taller and enlarged for residential

PMC Property Group Inc | Philadelphia Apartments for Rent | pmcpropertygroup.com

And this one is an example of an old warehouse re do (image is old, just re done)

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=600+n...7.44,,0,-11.85

Or something like this in Fishtown
Philly Shark: Umbrella Factory

Sadly while the population is going crazy with increases with residential (both redos and new contrction, commercial space is flat to down slightly)

U City is adding a few million in commercial space but not so much in Center City sadly, even a new VC firm moving to the city opted for U City 12 blocks west of center city (while not a bad thing the city needs more jobs in CC)

The conversions are not bad on the whole and find re use for what may not be commercially viable space but the balance may be currently shifting to too much residential in Philly, the city needs to fix the awful tax issues that face companies trying to relocate.

Even the empty lot on 19th and Market is going to be mostly residential (maybe 10 floors of commercial and 5 or so of retail)

1919 Market Street Moving A Little Closer | NakedPhilly

Old 08-18-2012, 09:01 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,910,852 times
I dunno why office buildings conversions downtown are considered a good thing for cities. It means the jobs are going elsewhere and in some ways the center city is becoming less important, as there's more of an advantage of businesses clustering than people, so the normally offices should be able to outbid residential.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:09 AM

22,378 posts, read 39,180,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I dunno why office buildings conversions downtown are considered a good thing for cities. It means the jobs are going elsewhere and in some ways the center city is becoming less important, as there's more of an advantage of businesses clustering than people, so the normally offices should be able to outbid residential.

I mostly agree. While mixed use and residential is a good thing so long as the commercial sector continues to grow (at least proportionally). I also think some re use applications of older buildings not as conducive in todays market may be a good use and also preserve good architecture (see the second google map link in my above post). A conversion of a building like Liberty 2 in the long run is probably not the best use. Though selling a condo for 14 million I guess has some advantages. I do agree on the whole and see this as a long run problem in Philly unless the commercial segments gorws portionally (which it is not currently as sq footage is down from 20 years ago slightly)

Oddly the suburbanesque office complex being built in the Navy yard is poaching center city jobs. People living in a very urban dowtown and taking the subway to a suburban esque office park. Seems odd (not that the redevelopment of the Navy yard is a bad thing but at the behest of core jobs, yes)

PNY - Master Plan

Old 08-18-2012, 09:18 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 23,037,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
There's a whole ton of them in Chicago. Here's a few random ones I know of off the top of my head. The last one is the ugly building on the left.

I've seen uglier.....

Old 08-18-2012, 09:54 AM

469 posts, read 976,124 times
Memphis has had a surge of commercial to residential buildings Downtown for the last two decades. Many cool loft and warehouse conversions seemed to be beyond rehab years ago, but made the change while keeping the eclectic feel very well. The latest start is the long overdue conversion of the Chisca Hotel which was given to a church headquartered in the city free of charge, then irresponsibly neglected for many years, creating an eyesore in a visable tourist area. This was the location of WHBQ Studios where Elvis's first commercial hit was debuted, and those studios will be refurbished and set aside for visitors to tour.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:20 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I mostly agree. While mixed use and residential is a good thing so long as the commercial sector continues to grow (at least proportionally). I also think some re use applications of older buildings not as conducive in todays market may be a good use and also preserve good architecture (see the second google map link in my above post). A conversion of a building like Liberty 2 in the long run is probably not the best use. Though selling a condo for 14 million I guess has some advantages. I do agree on the whole and see this as a long run problem in Philly unless the commercial segments gorws portionally (which it is not currently as sq footage is down from 20 years ago slightly)

Oddly the suburbanesque office complex being built in the Navy yard is poaching center city jobs. People living in a very urban dowtown and taking the subway to a suburban esque office park. Seems odd (not that the redevelopment of the Navy yard is a bad thing but at the behest of core jobs, yes)

PNY - Master Plan
Downtown Brooklyn seems like it's the most extreme of this, since it's not a normal downtown.

Office Builders Balking At Downtown Brooklyn | Observer

City was founding to have another office district, but they got condos... The tallest old skyscraper in Brooklyn (Williamsburgh Savings Tower) got converted into a condo tower.

Taking a subway to an suburban office park is rare, most often people drive, because the train stop is too far. White Plains and Stamford have some train to suburban office districts, but they're not normal office parks. I can't think of too many others. A downtown job is accessible by transit for most city and many suburb residents, an outer city or suburb even if the transit is walking distance might only useful for those living downtown or on that line because of cumbersome transfers.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I've seen uglier.....
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=M...,5.3,,0,-11.54

How about the building in the center (Verizon switching tower). Across the street to the right is a housing project, I think it looks better.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:35 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,270,886 times
Add another historic building in downtown CLEVELAND to the growing list of apartment conversions ...

The former "Halle's Department Store" located at Playhouse Square - forever immortalized on t.v. as the offices of Drew Carey in the "Drew Carey Show" is now slated for possible renovations as market rate, upscale apartments.

The demand is certainly there - Downtown Cleveland is booming, with residential occupancy levels at 98%

http://www.crainscleveland.com/asset...CC80623713.PDF

Last edited by JohnDBaumgardner; 08-18-2012 at 10:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City