Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 12:42 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fellow26 View Post
I think I can speak on this subject with a little authority as I'm a jazz guitar player who lives in New York and has been to Nola 4 times this past year to play music. The scenes aren't exactly "better" or "worse", just different. New Orleans definitely has a street scene and party feel to it like no other place. All of the venues are so close to each other on a couple of streets that it feels very happening at certain times. You can walk down Frenchman street and there are a dozen places with live bands, no cover charge and you can bar hop while taking your beer on the street! However, it does start to feel like a small scene after a few visits. There is nowhere near the sheer number of musicians as there are in New York. Music school graduates from all over the world come to New York almost daily it seems to try and "make it". It's to the point where NYC sucks the music scenes out of other places. There are disadvantages especially if you are a musician. A lot of talented people play gigs for free in ny, and its difficult to find paid work. But that's because the caliber of musicians here is far and away higher than any place else (I'm generalizing of course, we have hacks too).

I comparison to ny, Nola feels very provincial. Nothing against the place - NYC has 8 million people, Nola has 1 and still manages to have the second bets jazz scene in the country in my opinion. But if I think of the worlds best (most famous) jazz guitarists for example, almost all of them live in ny. The same the goes for other instruments. Not to mention there are definitely more venues than Nola, just that they are spread out between Greenwich village, the uws, Harlem, and Brooklyn, etc. in the world of jazz music, NYC is the center by far.
I guess it's a matter of a preference. For me, New Orleans is the only city that can capture the true essence of jazz, which certainly isn't yuppies and hipsters sitting around tables bopping quietly to the music in clubs that most people in the city likely care little about. It's pedestrian. It's about celebrating and dancing in the street.

Kind of like the difference between New York pizza and pizza in Naples. There's no denying both are great, but the magic the originators hold can never be replaced.

Last edited by Gunion Powder; 07-12-2014 at 12:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I guess it's a matter of a preference. For me, New Orleans is the only city that can capture the true essence of jazz, which certainly isn't yuppies and hipsters sitting around tables bopping quietly to the music in clubs that most people in the city likely care little about. It's pedestrian. It's about celebrating and dancing in the street.
The key words in this being "For me".

Old 05-27-2016, 07:31 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post

Kind of like the difference between New York pizza and pizza in Naples. There's no denying both are great, but the magic the originators hold can never be replaced.
This.

Face it, New York is just hipster Disneyland. It's time has been up for years now.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:08 PM

7,705 posts, read 5,448,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
How does SF get on this list and not KC? I don't think of SF at all as a jazz center.
Neither do I, generally speaking, but jazz musicians play at numerous fairs.

Sacramento used to have a wonderful, 4-day+ international, traditional jazz jubilee (300,000 people+ over Memorial Day Weekend), but that fair is now a shadow of its former self. I'm so glad we were able to enjoy it during its heyday when traditional jazz bands from around the world attended.

It's now the Sacramento Music Festival.

Sacramento Music Festival – Live Music! Dancing! Party! Jazz, Blues, Rock, Latin and much more…

Old 05-27-2016, 08:43 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpldoj View Post
The key words in this being "For me".
Other key words being "matter of preference".

Old 05-28-2016, 01:19 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,470,077 times
Jazz is one of my favorite genres of music so when I go to either NYC or New Orleans I try my best to go to a live Jazz show (obviously that's not a hard task in New Orleans ). While the Jazz in New Orleans is everywhere and is basically the soul of the city, NYC has some GREAT jazz. What I like about jazz in NYC is the diversity of the style of jazz that can be found there. One of the best Jazz shows I've ever been to was an Afro-Cuban Jazz band that was playing in midtown.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:02 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
New Orleans
Memphis
Chicago
Memphis is a blues town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City